E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > "While you're in there"

08-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
Stock328xi
Audi/BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Red face "While you're in there"

Good morning/afternoon everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted in here (by some stretch of luck I randomly remembered my login that has eluded me for the last year or two while at work).
So I am currently swapping the motor again, this time from a 51 to a 52 (not really interested in a 335 so I just throw money into the pit/fire lol). I have pictures, just not on my work pc, so I will add them within the next few days.
So I have the motor out at this point, it's just sitting waiting on some "fab"/tlc parts that are, as the title says, "While you're in there parts". These parts being Power steering suction/return lines, PS pressure line (as the hard lines are rotting and there's no time like the present when there's no fluid in the system [details further down]), all gaskets, water pump (using a Mishimoto Thermo to test it out), idle pulley, alternator B+ cable, starter (last one got slapped by cyl 5 so not going to reuse), valve cover, motor mounts, drive belt, plugs, coils, and I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out...but yea you get the gist.
The power steering pressure hard lines are rotting like I mentioned, but while pulling the motor (it's at a shop I used to work at, but I have since left the auto industry and asked to use his shop), the motor was lowered back down too much/on an angle (don't let other people raise or lower with a forklift), the hard lines on the rack and pinion were hit, breaking one right after the flare.
Now these lines are only really made (at least from what 2 days of looking showed me) for cars with active steering, which mine does not have. No blank lines are sold for this that I found, so I ordered the active steering lines (which do NOT line up). I will be heating the lines and slowly bending them to the angles needed to replace the broken as they are already flared with o-rings, and the threaded connectors for BMW racks.

This is more a place to throw in some information that I think may be useful to someone in the future as these cars continue to age.

Car is a 2011 328xi, with Fortune Auto coilovers (500 series), no front swaybar/end links, ecs strut bar, aFe pro-dry intake, will have 3sim on n52 motor going in, mishi thermo, stock exhaust mani (hollowed out), BMW PE, stage fp tune, on 18x9 Kansei KNP's
(added car as I don't remember if I did a signature when I made the account years ago)

Cheers guys, I'll keep ya updated!
      08-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
-Oil pan gasket
-Genuine BMW small DISA (could go genuine on the large one too but they're much easier to change)
-MILVS (if you can get a set)
-silicone intake boot
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
Stock328xi
Audi/BMW Technician
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
-Oil pan gasket
-Genuine BMW small DISA (could go genuine on the large one too but they're much easier to change)
-MILVS (if you can get a set)
-silicone intake boot
So, the oil pan was done, I have several 3sim's in my garage, and the DISA's are good/redone, MILVs are out of stock, but I'm taking the parts out of the N51 to ask about sending in for fab, while I run the stock in the n52, and the intake boot, I've thought about, but don't think it's tough to do with engine in car.
(I've dumped money into the car, while also playing with my Cooper S and saving for a wedding haha, so I'm trying to pick and choose what I need/will save more money doing now vs having to go right back in later)
But those are all good recommendations if anyone else is doing a similar job!
      08-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

If you haven’t I would add a crank seal guard. Might as well when the access is easy
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
Stock328xi
Audi/BMW Technician
United_States
Rep

Short update:
Just had the active steering lines and PS high pressure lines delivered last night, so will start measuring and bending tonight when I'm off work. Wish me luck guys