E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Glove Box USB Help

07-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Kaz_
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

E90 Glove Box USB Help

Hi - Recently purchased my first BMW 2010 320i Business edition with I Drive. It comes only with a USB in the glove box which i have tried to use to see if it plays or imports music as suggested by the manual but nothing appears or happens. The port is working as i have been able to charge my phone with it and i have formatted the USB to fat32 and stuck a single mp3 on there to see that works. There is no external devices option on the i Drive, i only have CD, Aux and Tone on screen.

Yesterday i visited the dealers to pick up a locking nut and asked about the USB in the glove box and if it was supposed to play music or import i got told it should be the case but wasn't sure and they suggested getting it booked in with an appointment which i have done for next month. Having looked on forums online some have said it works in regards to importing music others have said its for updates so am really confused..... Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, please note i don't have any USB port in the armrest only an Aux port. I will continue to purge through the threads to see if i can find an answer but in the mean time if someone can save me a trip to the dealers i would be grateful.

Thanks

Kaz
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
incognico
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 325i

I can't play from the glove box socket but I can import. Try inserting the USB stick (FATxx formatted) and restarting the system by holding down the volume knob for 10+ seconds until it goes off. Then mine allows me to import. Make sure you're doing it from the "external devices" menu too.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
Hi - Recently purchased my first BMW 2010 320i Business edition with I Drive. It comes only with a USB in the glove box which i have tried to use to see if it plays or imports music as suggested by the manual but nothing appears or happens. The port is working as i have been able to charge my phone with it and i have formatted the USB to fat32 and stuck a single mp3 on there to see that works. There is no external devices option on the i Drive, i only have CD, Aux and Tone on screen.

Yesterday i visited the dealers to pick up a locking nut and asked about the USB in the glove box and if it was supposed to play music or import i got told it should be the case but wasn't sure and they suggested getting it booked in with an appointment which i have done for next month. Having looked on forums online some have said it works in regards to importing music others have said its for updates so am really confused..... Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, please note i don't have any USB port in the armrest only an Aux port. I will continue to purge through the threads to see if i can find an answer but in the mean time if someone can save me a trip to the dealers i would be grateful.

Thanks

Kaz
business nav can only use such port for navi map upgrade
professional nav can import music to harddrive
      07-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Kaz_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
business nav can only use such port for navi map upgrade
professional nav can import music to harddrive
How can I tell if I have business or professional Navigation?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

professional navi display size same as scoop size, business navi have smaller display size
      07-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Kaz_
Rep

So what options do I have to get usb/bluetooth audio as I would like to use the steering controls with audio. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So what options do I have to get usb/bluetooth audio as I would like to use the steering controls with audio. Thanks
please provide photo of your display
      07-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Mr. Toad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

Quote:
My car has USB jacks in both the glove box and the covered console/armrest. The one in the glove box cannot be used to play music through the car's stereo system, but the one in the console/armrest can. I keep a 32 GB flash drive in there with more than 2,500 songs, and it works with the steering wheel controls and the file details (including album cover art) show in the iDrive window on the dash.
      07-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

FYI: I've tested various USB Flash Drives.

The largest I could get to read were 128GB flash drives... and of course the drive is the size of my little fingernail.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Kaz_
Rep

Quote:
please provide photo of your display
see attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:17 AM   #11
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

you have business navigation, not professional
you need to get mulf2 high or combox based bluetooth retrofit to get bluetooth handsfree or usb audio playback from android or iphone or ipod
i'm not sure if you get bluetooth streaming with you headunit
but can always buy wiseo tune2air for that option
      08-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Kaz_
Rep

Quote:
you have business navigation, not professional
you need to get mulf2 high or combox based bluetooth retrofit to get bluetooth handsfree or usb audio playback from android or iphone or ipod
i'm not sure if you get bluetooth streaming with you headunit
but can always buy wiseo tune2air for that option
Thanks - wiseo tune2air how does this connect? is this the same as the bluetooth aux connectors you can buy as I believe they don't allow steering control in regards to skipping tracks etc. just volume control...

I also have this phone cradle in the armrest is that linked to the audio system am not sure what phone it would connect to though as the socket looks like what used to be on the old old Nokia phones.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #13
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

wiseo tune2air can be controlled via steering wheel controls when connected to usb audio 6fl option retrofitted

Last edited by ptpending; 08-03-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0