E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car randomly shutting down. Please help!

10-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

That only-with-a/c-on-on-a-hot-day I have is a complicating factor (is there a temp sensor involved ?). If yours dies even w/o any additional conditons, it's 'clearer' and more reproducible.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #24
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Anyone try unplugging the MAF?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #25
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

sounds like the vanos solenoids need replacing.
have you replaced it instead of cleaning and swapping? cause cleaning and swapping doesn't do anything when the solenoids are 71K mileage old.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Anyone try unplugging the MAF?
I for one did, was kinda inconclusive. Car is not predictably dying even w/ a/c on (sometimes it recovers after the severe drop in rpms), and with maf unplugged it did the same. Wasn't comfortable enough to drive more the a day w/ MAF unplugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
sounds like the vanos solenoids need replacing.
have you replaced it instead of cleaning and swapping? cause cleaning and swapping doesn't do anything when the solenoids are 71K mileage old.
Again, I'm not the OP on this part thread but have similar issue: I'm on at least the 3rd solenoid (granted all were used). Same behavior each time. Seriously doubt that's the cause.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #27
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

K, I brought my car to the dealer and they identified the issue as related to the service campaign mentioned above. The car was repaired. Alternatively, it is possible to try to repair it as emission related, which should be covered by emission warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #28
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
K, I brought my car to the dealer and they identified the issue as related to the service campaign mentioned above. The car was repaired. Alternatively, it is possible to try to repair it as emission related, which should be covered by emission warranty.
Thank you for sharing. This service campaign?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...V176-8618P.pdf

Is your vehicle older than a 2010?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #29
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I've been having this exact same problem with my E91. It stalls when coming to a stop from about 20-30 mph. Thankfully its not that common, but my car shows no codes so i dont know where to begin.
What should i check first?
Solenoids?
Valvetronic Motor?
ESS?
      09-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #30
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Did anyone have a possible resolution to this? My E91 with N52 has been stalling as well, more commonly when the AC is on, but even when the AC is off. And it seems to be more common when the outside temp is 95 degrees or higher. Putting in new VANOS solenoids today - already cleaned/swapped them. Will try the MAF as well tonight. I have not replaced the Eccentric sensor, but if I go down that route, will consider replacing the VVT motor as well...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #31
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Not sure about others, but I've still to see this solved...

Here's what I swapped: spark plugs, coils, maf, solenoids, vvt motor, camshaft positioning sensors, vvt check valves, fuel pump ECU, valve cover, ESS (eccentric shaft sensor), fuel pump & filter/regulator
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #32
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
Did anyone have a possible resolution to this? My E91 with N52 has been stalling as well, more commonly when the AC is on, but even when the AC is off. And it seems to be more common when the outside temp is 95 degrees or higher. Putting in new VANOS solenoids today - already cleaned/swapped them. Will try the MAF as well tonight. I have not replaced the Eccentric sensor, but if I go down that route, will consider replacing the VVT motor as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post

Here's what I swapped: spark plugs, coils, maf, solenoids, vvt motor, camshaft positioning sensors, vvt check valves, fuel pump ECU, valve cover, ESS (eccentric shaft sensor), fuel pump & filter/regulator
Have you guys check the valve/diaphragm on the valve cover? (btw for any else reading, if you have a 330/N52B30, you have a metal valve cover with the valve/diaphragm in your oil separator, not integrated in the valve cover)

Common symptom is stalling when coming to a stop. Some also experience a very loud siren/screeching/whistle sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #33
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

I replaced the whole valve cover due to a leak, and the N52 engine on my car is simply venting to atmosphere, no oil separators and such breakdown-prone things anymore. See here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...l6-11127552281
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #34
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Following up on this - for me, it was the crankshaft sensor, located under the alternator. Initially, the codes were for the VANOS solenoids, and when I cleaned+swapped those, the code shifted to the crankshaft sensor (2A94). I changed that, and it's been running fine the past two weeks.

For those that need to change the crankshaft sensor, there are good DIYs. Start from below the engine and try to reach/remove the plug. I was able to do that, but could not get the new plug + o-ring to fit in the engine. I did lubricate it with motor oil, but read later that silicone works better. Since I could not get it to seat, I partially removed the intake manifold from above (N52), which took about 1 hour. Then used a 17mm socket wrench, which fit over the electrical connection, and applied pressure which got the sensor to seat properly. Reinstalled everything and the car operated smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #35
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Following up on this - for me, it was the crankshaft sensor, located under the alternator. Initially, the codes were for the VANOS solenoids, and when I cleaned+swapped those, the code shifted to the crankshaft sensor (2A94). I changed that, and it's been running fine the past two weeks.
[snip]
Interesting...

triax37: Can you describe under what circumstances yours was stalling in hot weather ?

Also, AFAIK the crankshaft sensor always throws a code - which indeed you had, and I don't have any codes. That's why I had the sensor as a v remote possibility.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #36
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...

triax37: Can you describe under what circumstances yours was stalling in hot weather ?

Also, AFAIK the crankshaft sensor always throws a code - which indeed you had, and I don't have any codes. That's why I had the sensor as a v remote possibility.
Hey - yes, I would imagine the crankshaft sensor should always throw a code, given how important I've learned it is to the car. I did not have any symptoms like the car not starting or lower than expected MPG.

For us, when the outside temp was 95-100+ degrees, it would occasionally struggle to idle, especially when the car was warmed up. Either the car would enter limp mode or the ignition would turn off. AC was sometimes on, but not always. This was mostly during city driving, 25-35 mph. It did happen once to my wife while accelerating onto a freeway - scared her quite a bit. Restarting the car seemed to temporarily address either limp mode or whatever was turning the engine off, at least for the typically short 5 mile distances we drive around metro denver. But everything has returned to normal after changing that sensor.
Appreciate 0