E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD Stage 1+ vs Stage 2

10-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640i M-Sport GC

MHD Stage 1+ vs Stage 2

I'm curious what exactly is the difference between the two, i.e. what makes Stage 2 have 10 more hp, but far less torque? They seem to run about the same boost targets. Timing is probably different, but I can't imagine it would make that much difference in torque.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:50 AM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Think of stage 2 as the upgraded version of the Stage 1 map, NOT stage1+. As both are for cars with stock intercoolers.
I'd guess stage 2 has more boost in the high RPM range and stage 1 has more down low? Logs should demonstrate that if it's the case.

Last edited by maddmatth; 10-10-2019 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Think of stage 2 as the upgraded version of the Stage 1 map, NOT stage1+. As both are for cars with stock intercoolers.
I'd guess stage 2 has more boost in the high RPM range and stage 1 has more down low? Logs should demonstrate that if it's the case.
Yeah makes sense, but I wonder how making a difference in boost down low vs higher up correlates to needing just a FMIC or just a downpipe? I can't imagine you'd get very far with stage 2 and the stock intercooler...IAT would be insanely high. Of course I've never heard of anyone doing a downpipe before a FMIC either.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBean View Post
Yeah makes sense, but I wonder how making a difference in boost down low vs higher up correlates to needing just an FMIC or just a downpipe? I can't imagine you'd get very far with stage 2 and the stock intercooler...IAT would be insanely high. Of course, I've never heard of anyone doing a downpipe before an FMIC either.
So, thermodynamically, raising the compressor's work in order to generate higher pressure levels will induce way higher heat for the air going out of the compressor's outlet.

Naturally, higher air temperatures pre intercooler will need a bigger and better FMIC in order to be cooled at a sufficient level. This being said, for any of the Stages and tunes, a better FMIC is required.

Now imagine pumping the RPMs level where serious boost builds. This means you will be using the car at levels of RPM that will be on average higher than what you would have rolled with Stage 1. More revolutions per minute which means a higher flow of exhaust gases. A higher flow will require bigger piping in order to allow minimum backpressure and to reduce restrictions to a minimal point.

I think is pretty much the logic behind having an FMIC regardless and downpipe only for Stage 2 (Higher RPMs boost levels)

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 10-10-2019 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Now imagine pumping the RPMs level where serious boost builds. This means you will be using the car at levels of RPM that will be on average higher than what you would have rolled with Stage 1. More revolutions per minute which means a higher flow of exhaust gases. A higher flow will require bigger piping in order to allow minimum backpressure and to reduce restrictions to a minimal point.
Yeah that's true, I never thought of it that way. I'd say Stage 2+ is kind of a blend of 1+ and 2, with a little extra boost. Still no way anyone is getting far with the stock intercooler on stage 2 though.
Appreciate 0