E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC radio audio not working...

09-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

CIC radio audio not working...

Upgraded CCC>CIC retrofit yesterday. I ended up doing just the ncsexpert coding for now.
Apart from no audio for any radio stations.

Edit: Issue resolved

Retrofit was done with a US version CIC unit in Australian verison EU car. If you have no radio audio after default coding your CIC please check coding below

RADIO_IBOC
aktiv

Last edited by TiAgAu; 02-12-2022 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

Interesting, the FM/AM (including HD radio) is in the headunit in a CIC, and not on the MOST bus... Disclaimer, I've never done a MOST reset (or even used ISTA) but a brief google search suggests that the reset just has all the MOST devices re-establish communications after a disruption in the ring. Have you tried doing a factory default code to the CIC again?

Also, did your original CCC setup have an HD radio IBOC? I believe cars with HD radio had the antenna go to a module in the trunk that provided the FM/AM.

Finally, I have to ask, did you check to see if your FM/AM antenna got disconnected? (The wire with the black Fakra connector in the lower left corner of the back of the CIC)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
Interesting, the FM/AM (including HD radio) is in the headunit in a CIC, and not on the MOST bus... Disclaimer, I've never done a MOST reset (or even used ISTA) but a brief google search suggests that the reset just has all the MOST devices re-establish communications after a disruption in the ring. Have you tried doing a factory default code to the CIC again?

Also, did your original CCC setup have an HD radio IBOC? I believe cars with HD radio had the antenna go to a module in the trunk that provided the FM/AM.

Finally, I have to ask, did you check to see if your FM/AM antenna got disconnected? (The wire with the black Fakra connector in the lower left corner of the back of the CIC)
Doing a MOST reset certainly wasn't the intention, ISTA just did its thing during the reading of the car/codes.

CCC had no HD radio. I rechecked all connections the black antenna is definitely connected ok as the radio stations all show up. Disconnecting it you can not access any tuning. So its picking channels but as for audio no idea.

Will try default CIC again i'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Factory default coded the CIC Still no radio sound. Everything else is good except the TV wont scan for channels just sits a 0%
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

I would've thought something else on the MOST ring isn't cooperating... (logic 7 amplifier in the back, combox, tcu, etc) but then all the audio would be out. I'm out of ideas, hopefully one of the other coding gurus might know what to do.

You could also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to power down everything?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would've thought something else on the MOST ring isn't cooperating... (logic 7 amplifier in the back, combox, tcu, etc) but then all the audio would be out. I'm out of ideas, hopefully one of the other coding gurus might know what to do.

You could also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to power down everything?
Only have standard audio. Disconnected battery overnight no change.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Any chance ISTA messed with your region settings? You can compare your FSW_PSW settings with mine:

RADIO_DAB
nicht_aktiv
RADIO_IBOC
aktiv
RADIO_SDARS
antdiag
RADIO_WEATHERBAND
nicht_aktiv
COUNTRY
us
RADIO_COUNTRY
us
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #8
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any chance ISTA messed with your region settings? You can compare your FSW_PSW settings with mine:

RADIO_DAB
nicht_aktiv
RADIO_IBOC
aktiv
RADIO_SDARS
antdiag
RADIO_WEATHERBAND
nicht_aktiv
COUNTRY
us
RADIO_COUNTRY
us

Good thinking! But all seems ok?

All are nicht_aktiv and
COUNTRY
Australien
RADIO_COUNTRY
Australien

Haha gotta love the spelling though.

Test fitted the old CCC today and radio audio works fine. Didn't change coding at all.

had a look at inpas uif while CCC was in

CIC installed, VIN is all 0000000 maybe be normal with inpa? Dunno if it would affect anything as it was working even before being coded.

Last edited by TiAgAu; 09-09-2019 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #9
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

You said everything says nicht_aktiv? My RADIO_IBOC says aktiv, even though I don't have any special modules in the trunk (no special HD radio unit). Maybe you should try turning that on?

My INPA AIF looks the same, except being in German:
Attached Images

Last edited by FaxData; 09-09-2019 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu148.50
      09-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You said everything says nicht_aktiv? My RADIO_IBOC says aktiv, even though I don't have any special modules in the trunk (no special HD radio unit). Maybe you should try turning that on?

My INPA AIF looks the same, except being in German:
Changing RADIO_IBOC to aktiv Did the trick!

Absolute Legend!!!

Thanks heaps for your help. i would of never figured that out.

Last edited by TiAgAu; 09-09-2019 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #11
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, that's fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #12
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

That means that you got US version of the CIC. If you've got european or asian version ISTA recoding should be smooth.
      09-10-2019, 03:30 AM   #13
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
That means that you got US version of the CIC. If you've got european or asian version ISTA recoding should be smooth.
Yep correct. Some Aussies flash the CIC with the correct EU ZB, don't think i'd go that far as it's not really needed.
Never heard any of them have this radio IBOC issue though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 01:17 AM   #14
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Changing RADIO_IBOC to aktiv Did the trick!

Absolute Legend!!!

Thanks heaps for your help. i would of never figured that out.
Thank you so much! I mailed someone a US CIC to Australia and even after flashing euro firmware I had the same exact issue. Changing iboc to active fixed the issue!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 01:55 AM   #15
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Thank you so much! I mailed someone a US CIC to Australia and even after flashing euro firmware I had the same exact issue. Changing iboc to active fixed the issue!
Awesome as! Tbh i'm sure it was probably the default coding that made it nicht_aktiv. Anyway glad you found this thread.

Last edited by TiAgAu; 02-04-2021 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 02:25 AM   #16
Aria335iN54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Quote:
Awesome as! Tbh i'm sure it was probably the default coding that made it nicht_aktiv. Anyway glad you found this thread.
This thread was a life saver!
In Same boat as you, retrofitting US CIC in aussie ccc e92.

Did you also manage to get the ccc tv running on CIC?

Any other tips to correct default coding would be appreciated as I see some gears are not quite working as before e.g. TV, CD changer, aircon config, halo lights settings etc...
Also doesn't play dvds videos and I get a C560 code for video unit

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:17 AM   #17
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria335iN54 View Post
This thread was a life saver!
In Same boat as you, retrofitting US CIC in aussie ccc e92.

Did you also manage to get the ccc tv running on CIC?

Any other tips to correct default coding would be appreciated as I see some gears are not quite working as before e.g. TV, CD changer, aircon config, halo lights settings etc...
Also doesn't play dvds videos and I get a C560 code for video unit

Cheers
Nah i haven't bothered to even look into fixing the TV stations.

Eveything else works perfect, CD changer etc. Are you talking about AC config on the steering wheel buttons?

I actually just finished up installing a combox today. Nice to play tracks from bluetooth/usb.

If you need any help let me know.

Last edited by TiAgAu; 02-12-2022 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:33 AM   #18
Aria335iN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nah i haven't bothered to even look into fixing the TV stations.

Eveything else works perfect include CD changer etc. Are you talking about AC config on the steering wheel buttons?

I actually just finished up installing a combox today. Nice to play tracks from bluethooth/usb.

If you need any help let me know.
Interesting I finally completed combox install today too after some drama and buying a 2nd combox assuming 1st one is dead as I was referring to a wrong repin guide putting power pin on pin 2 instead of 1. Anyway thats sorted but leaving me with a spare combox!

Back to cic, I am also installing Ista to get the MOST ring config sorted as I get a E1CF code as looks like protool cannot do that.

Yes please steering buttons setup , how to sort that?
So you didn't have to change anything else in default coding to get everything working properly?

BTW I haven't done the FSC codes to activate Nav and voice and might not bother...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 06:11 AM   #19
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria335iN54 View Post
Interesting I finally completed combox install today too after some drama and buying a 2nd combox assuming 1st one is dead as I was referring to a wrong repin guide putting power pin on pin 2 instead of 1. Anyway thats sorted but leaving me with a spare combox!

Back to cic, I am also installing Ista to get the MOST ring config sorted as I get a E1CF code as looks like protool cannot do that.

Yes please steering buttons setup , how to sort that?
So you didn't have to change anything else in default coding to get everything working properly?

BTW I haven't done the FSC codes to activate Nav and voice and might not bother...
I can't believe you had the same issue! i was scratching my head today and getting abit It was when i tried default coding Media it wouldn't code.
Once i cooled down i thought i'd try pin 2 to pin 1 which it than powered up.

Afaik the A/C SW controls don't work on CIC and not fixable. It was only a CCC feature.

Yeah nav isn't great anyway tbh i wouldn't worry either

Is you CD changer working? What coding have you done so far all FA/VO for combox etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 06:22 AM   #20
Aria335iN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
I can't believe you had the same issue! i was scratching my head today and getting abit It was when i tried default coding Media it wouldn't code.
Once i cooled down i thought i'd try pin 2 to pin 1 which it than powered up.

Afaik the A/C SW controls don't work on CIC and not fixable. It was only a CCC feature.

Yeah nav isn't great anyway tbh i wouldn't worry either

Is you CD changer working? What coding have you done so far all FA/VO for combox etc?
My main concern at the moment is this MOST Ring error.
That small light next to auto gear knob stays on all the time when car is locked which means the ecu doesn't go to sleep. I can only relate it to the most E1CF fault.
There was a thread how to sort it via Ista which I don't have so just checking alternative ways to sort that first.

Did you come across this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 06:28 AM   #21
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

No. It can take like 30-45min aleast till that light goes out. So i definitely says on all the time?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 06:34 AM   #22
Aria335iN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
No. It can take like 30-45min aleast till that light goes out. So i definitely says on all the time?
Yeh left it over night still on. And hearing it priming fuel pump once in a while.

Car is on charger so battery should be safe but Im not happy until this is sorted...
Appreciate 0