E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension Refresh Complete - 330i M Sport Sachs / Eibach Pro-kit - PICS

10-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

Smile Suspension Refresh Complete - 330i M Sport Sachs / Eibach Pro-kit - PICS

Hi All,

I thought I'd post up my suspension refresh pictures. My rear damper was gone, so I decided to do a full refresh on the car, it's a 2006 330i M Sport. I ordered a suspension refresh kit from Cotswold BMW which comprised of new bolts, bump stops, spring pads etc. I went for OEM dampers from Sachs which I ordered from Euro Car Parts, Eibach E10-20-014-02-22 Performance Pro-Kit Springs and new Lemforder lower control arms.

I know a lot of people say, Bilstien B4S or Koni FSD dampers are great, however I wanted to keep the car as standard as possible without lowering it much more than it already is as its the family car. After speaking to Eibach directly, they initially recommended the Bilstien B4S, however after telling them I have a 2 year old and 2 month old who sit in the back, they advised to stick with Sachs as the car will see a minimal drop.

Since I've done this, all I can say is wow! The car has been completely transformed, the ride is so much better, less noise in the cabin, better braking and acceleration and much more compliant around the bends, the car stays much flatter. The car with all 4 us in and stuff in the boot has been fine as well. It handles speed bumps well too which was important for me as living with SE London we have loads of them. The stance of the car is slightly improved as well, the rear hasn't come down much, but the front has for sure.

The after pictures have been taken a week after fitting and 100 miles of driving later. The front over a week did drop a lot as initially it was really high and looked a bit wrong.

Main reason for this post is I struggled to find my combination of standard with Eibach Pro-Kit springs so I hope this helps someone out.

If you need any more info, just ask :-)

BEFORE:

As you can see the offside rear is quite low here as the damper has gone..

The nearside is fine though..

AFTER:

Last edited by DriverLDN; 10-10-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Good work! My car seriously needs all that doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:28 AM   #3
spudulike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (2006)

Nice stuff! My 2006 330i has just had an MOT advisory on the exact same shock at 115,000 miles.
I guess it's time I refreshed mine. How much did you pay for all that stuff (if you don't mind my asking)?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #4
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike View Post
Nice stuff! My 2006 330i has just had an MOT advisory on the exact same shock at 115,000 miles.
I guess it's time I refreshed mine. How much did you pay for all that stuff (if you don't mind my asking)?
Hi Mate,

My car is on similar mileage at 105k. When we took all the shocks out, they were all pretty much on their way out.

In terms of costs, for all the parts which included the following:

2 x Sachs Front Dampers
2 x Sachs Rear Dampers
2 x Lemforder Lower axle arms

£450

1 x Eibach Pro-Kit Spring set

£140

BMW E90 Suspension Repair kit front and back. Which included new top mounts, bump stops, spring rubber pads, new bolts etc

£338

So all in parts wise £928.

While I had all this work done I also had new Pagid discs, pads and sensor fitted to the rear and the front left headlamp needed a new ballast as the Xenon headlamp was out.

Obviously on top of that you have your fitting and alignment. I had a relative do mine who runs a garage so I was lucky to get it at a good price, with full alignment on the Hunter system. I've also been told to go back after a month or so for re-alignment.

If you are looking at doing the same, drop me a PM and I'll send you all the part numbers.
      10-17-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Nice work. Looks much better and the drive will be superb now from previous.

Always good to replace everything while doing the shocks/springs too.
      10-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Nice work. Looks much better and the drive will be superb now from previous.

Always good to replace everything while doing the shocks/springs too.
Cheers Raj, the difference is night and day! Especially now I've covered a few hundred miles in it, the springs are settled. I have to say the ride with the M-Sport springs was marginally more comfy as they are softer. The Eibach pro-kit let's you feel a lot more without the crashy ride you get with the M Sport spings. However the difference is handling, traction, braking and acceleration is so improved, its a minor trade off in my opinion. Plus the drop is also perfect to have as a daily family car without losing any practicality.
      10-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverLDN View Post
Cheers Raj, the difference is night and day! Especially now I've covered a few hundred miles in it, the springs are settled. I have to say the ride with the M-Sport springs was marginally more comfy as they are softer. The Eibach pro-kit let's you feel a lot more without the crashy ride you get with the M Sport spings. However the difference is handling, traction, braking and acceleration is so improved, its a minor trade off in my opinion. Plus the drop is also perfect to have as a daily family car without losing any practicality.
Agreed, totally worth it and as you say there is little compromise in the ride going with the Eibach's. I actually prefer the slightly stiffer ride and it makes the car feel more planted and predictable.
      10-18-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
xlr88r
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 & E91 330i M Sport

...and there's 3! I've just treated my 2006 330i to a (much smaller) suspension refresh, with a set of the Koni FSDs being fitted all round last Tuesday. It's just ticked over 103k so was due as well.

It's been a good upgrade. Compliance has gone through the roof (as expected when compared to 100k+ and 13 year old shocks!) but cripes, this post doesn't half make me wish I'd gone further and had a few more things replaced at the time. The labour just for the shocks was pretty steep, as the rears are a bit of a pig to do, apparently.

As it's been so, so, so reliable over the 30k I've had it - gotta love an N52! - I'll probably treat it to the kind of updates you've done sometime early next year. Was the suspension refresh kit from Cotswold's for the front and rear?

P.S. We're colour twins! I'm jealous of your xenons though, dammit! One day, one day.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Nice job
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr88r View Post
...and there's 3! I've just treated my 2006 330i to a (much smaller) suspension refresh, with a set of the Koni FSDs being fitted all round last Tuesday. It's just ticked over 103k so was due as well.

It's been a good upgrade. Compliance has gone through the roof (as expected when compared to 100k+ and 13 year old shocks!) but cripes, this post doesn't half make me wish I'd gone further and had a few more things replaced at the time. The labour just for the shocks was pretty steep, as the rears are a bit of a pig to do, apparently.

As it's been so, so, so reliable over the 30k I've had it - gotta love an N52! - I'll probably treat it to the kind of updates you've done sometime early next year. Was the suspension refresh kit from Cotswold's for the front and rear?

P.S. We're colour twins! I'm jealous of your xenons though, dammit! One day, one day.

Looks like we are twinning! Your's does look pristine and I'm loving the dark rear lights. I've always fancied them on mine.

To be honest, now you've had the new dampers fitted, I'm not sure I would go back and change the top mounts, spring pads and bump stops etc as it'll probably cost you just as much to do that as it did to change the dampers. As you'd have to take most of it out to do the job. If the car is driving well, I'd leave it.

If you do go for it, then yes I got the bits from Cotswold. When I phoned them and told them what I was doing, they knew exactly what to send.

Don't be jealous of the Xenons, I just had to fit a new ballast to one of them, had to remove the bumper and whole headlight!
      10-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #11
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is the side profile of the car again after 3 weeks. I think the springs have fully settled now, especially the fronts. I can't see it coming down any more now which I'm happy about. The car drives perfect still as a daily under load.

10-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Nice job
Cheers fella.
      10-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
xlr88r
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 & E91 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverLDN View Post
Looks like we are twinning! Your's does look pristine and I'm loving the dark rear lights. I've always fancied them on mine.

To be honest, now you've had the new dampers fitted, I'm not sure I would go back and change the top mounts, spring pads and bump stops etc as it'll probably cost you just as much to do that as it did to change the dampers. As you'd have to take most of it out to do the job. If the car is driving well, I'd leave it.

If you do go for it, then yes I got the bits from Cotswold. When I phoned them and told them what I was doing, they knew exactly what to send.

Don't be jealous of the Xenons, I just had to fit a new ballast to one of them, had to remove the bumper and whole headlight!
Cheers! That was after its last 6 monthly 'let's spend a full day detailing the car' session. It's about due another now, that's for sure!

How strange! I noticed a bit of fogging inside the driver's headlight last week, and by last weekend it was pretty much a fish tank. Bought a used headlight, looked at the fitting, immediately decided it was beyond me (such a cop out!) so had it fitted by a local garage and MOT'd early - straight through. Hat's off to you for doing actual work!

Cripes, yours looks mint too, and it sits perfectly now Thanks for getting back to me re. the bits from Cotswold. You're right - given the labour, this is something to put on the back burner I reckon. If it gives me 6 hassle free months I might treat it in the spring, perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:59 AM   #14
SpaceGreyJay
SpaceGreyJay
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 325i SE Space Grey

Nice post, super clean 330i - looks just right. Lovely colour too. Very slick.
Appreciate 0