E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Side folding, heated and auto-dip mirrors wiring

01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Garage List
Side folding, heated and auto-dip mirrors wiring

Hi everyone!
I am a new member looking for a few answers among you knowledgeable BMW lovers.

First of all let me introduce myself, I recently bought a 2007 pre-owned e90 basic options and packages for a 328xi sold in canada. This is my first BMW but basically I have modified every other car I have owned in the past, so this one can not go untouched. I do enjoy a good weekend getting my hands dirty and investigating the details of my car, although doing that at -30c it's not fun at all.

now to the question, I am looking to change my current door mirrors (heated) to the folding mirrors with european mirror automatic dip- heated ones. I am sure that to make them work, I do need to flash the car with that option, but what about the wiring? are there any other wires that I should run in order for the auto-dip and fold in option to work? I tried looking in the BMW WDS but no luck on that (probably because i don't master it yet), is there any other place that I can look for that information?

And of course if someone knows that it will be a huge shortcut for me, and other info is greatly appreciated, I am getting the side mirror casings from a friend's 2008 335i, and will order the armrest switches this week probably the mirrors (glass) hopefully I can fid them in eBay, otherwise i'll have to order those too.

BTW is this the right place to post this new thread? if not let me know to put it in the right place.

Thank you so much in advance for your help and knowledge
cheers and happy mod'ing
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
tip10
Rep
Drives: 330I

bump
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I've been looking around for this also...I know you can code it to fold in when you lock the door etc...but I don't have folding mirrors to begin in the first place. So it would be cool if they were already pre-wired and all we have to do it get the switch? or motor maybe? O.o In for more info.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I received my mirrors a few days ago, and I see that the connector has 3 pins (i'll put images later). but when I opened my mirror installed in the car, it had 2 connectors, one with 3 pins and another one with 2 pins. so I swapped the mirrors to check if the mirror movement would work and it doesn't. I found also in realOEM.com that there is a different wire harness for the folding-dip-heated mirrors, so that might be something else that needs to be swapped.

if you have images of your mirror, post them here so we can compare.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
tip10
Rep
Drives: 330I

Reverse retrofit?

I just finished installing my passenger door mirror and have a few questions. I have an 06 330i e90 w/o auto dim or auto fold but I have the cold weather package. My first question is do I have heated mirrors? Every search pretty much clumps auto fold, dim, heated mirrors etc. together so I just assumed I didn't. (ps I live in tx and the only time my car has seen snow was superbowl weekend and I can't remember if they were icy or not) Anyway a buddy of mine hooked me up with a side mirror less the glass for basically nothing but the only problem was that it was auto fold. I'm so tired of looking for this crap so I decided as long as I have a mirror I'm fine so I installed it. It was folded in so I was worried at first but the second I turned my car on it folded out! The controls worked but it didn't tilt down in reverse. I read that you can retrofit these mirrors but haven't found a clear diy that doesn't require 10 new parts and gutting your car (however I am interested on how it folded out..I keep reading about coding etc but I literally plugged it in and it folded out..is it just made to do that when initially plugged into anything?) So now I ask can you reverse retrofit? I don't know if that's what you call it but the mirror has a 4 pin connector and the glass I have was connected by 2 single line pins (I'm assuming this is for the heat?) Surely 2 of the pins are for heat so does anybody know which ones? I'm on my phone now but I'll upload pics soon
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Gizzy's_M235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

I've been waiting for this thread for the longest. I made a mistake by not getting this option, as living in NYC, you really need it. Please post pics if you are attempting this retrofit. I am looking for mirrors as well if anybody knows of any.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
ok so here are the picture, this are the ones from the powerfolding-DIP-Heated mirror, I would take pictures from the ones in my car but its freezing outside, so I'll describe the main differences.

In the first image, the 3 pins are the ones that connect to the harness that comes form the door switch controller, one side is empty. but in the one in my car (heated, non-powerfolding, non-dip) both of those have connectors, one is a 3 pin similar to the one in the second picture and the other side has one with a 2 pin connector.

well the rest of the pictures are just guesses that I have so far for the wiring, I haven't had much time to study that yet.

I hope this helps you guys and let's decode this to get our cars with folding mirrors ASAP... (I am afraid each time i see the snowblowers pass really close to my mirrors )

cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
camper4
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

did anyone figure out which colour wire allows the mirror to fold?

i know that it's only one of the wires and i need to snip it in my car...the folding mirror has gone haywire.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

was there any progress / success with this project?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yes it was a full success but I had to change the passenger side wire loom on the door and flip some wiring at the frm module
      12-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
Jat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerena View Post
ok so here are the picture, this are the ones from the powerfolding-DIP-Heated mirror, I would take pictures from the ones in my car but its freezing outside, so I'll describe the main differences.

In the first image, the 3 pins are the ones that connect to the harness that comes form the door switch controller, one side is empty. but in the one in my car (heated, non-powerfolding, non-dip) both of those have connectors, one is a 3 pin similar to the one in the second picture and the other side has one with a 2 pin connector.

well the rest of the pictures are just guesses that I have so far for the wiring, I haven't had much time to study that yet.

I hope this helps you guys and let's decode this to get our cars with folding mirrors ASAP... (I am afraid each time i see the snowblowers pass really close to my mirrors )

cheers!
Bit of a thread revival, but did your description and colours for the 4 wires in the wing mirror prove to be correct, for the dip and heating functions? From your photo/annotations I see it as:
Purple is + Dip
Black is - Dip
Red is + Heat
Brown is - Heat

Is that correct? Thanks in advance for the help.

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
Quote:

cheers!
Bit of a thread revival, but did your description and colours for the 4 wires in the wing mirror prove to be correct, for the dip and heating functions? From your photo/annotations I see it as:
Purple is + Dip
Black is - Dip
Red is + Heat
Brown is - Heat

Is that correct? Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes that is correct.
      12-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
Jat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Quote:
Yes that is correct.
Thanks so much. I need to work on an E87 1 series, and I am told the wing mirror wiring is the same as the E90.

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Appreciate 0