E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel Eye suggestions for E93 w Xenon

03-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Angel Eye suggestions for E93 w Xenon

I have a 2008 E93 with adaptive Xenon and have noticed a lot of different choices for updating the angel eyes on these cars so I am not sure which to choose. First is the bulbs on eBay and Amazon that look like the same thing for $30-$40 that some vendors are selling for $150. Then I see there are actual replacement rings you can install that have LED's built into them including some that change colors, etc. I do like the modern look of the rings that are squared off at the bottom but I am not sure of those are meant to into lights that already have halo rings. Basically I would love some opinions and photos of what you have installed please.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

If you are looking for a direct bulb replacement those will be the more cost effective then a full ring replacement setup and are also DIY. I would recommend looking in the vendor section for the bulb replacements and there are lots of reviews and pictures there as well.

One such option is our LUX H8 180 which are a pure white 7000k and are a popular choice by members here. These are over 2x brighter than stock and will make the inner and outer rings much more even in brightness as well. There are pictures there mostly all from users who have installed these themselves.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

One other thing. I have a second set of used headlights and one of them has the stock bulb but the other one has an old LUX H8 v3 5000k. I wanted to install that one as a test just to see how the brightness and 5000k color looks, etc. but I tried for about 25-30 minutes and I honestly could not get enough room to line up the notches and get it to lock in. I even tried using a pick tool and a trim clip removal took with my fingers and I literally could not put a bulb in. Is there a tool that you recommend to install this bulb with? My hands are average size but I honestly can't see how anyone installs these with normal human hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
Daniel08E93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
One other thing. I have a second set of used headlights and one of them has the stock bulb but the other one has an old LUX H8 v3 5000k. I wanted to install that one as a test just to see how the brightness and 5000k color looks, etc. but I tried for about 25-30 minutes and I honestly could not get enough room to line up the notches and get it to lock in. I even tried using a pick tool and a trim clip removal took with my fingers and I literally could not put a bulb in. Is there a tool that you recommend to install this bulb with? My hands are average size but I honestly can't see how anyone installs these with normal human hands.
No tool that I've heard of but you'll have better luck getting someone with smaller hands to help you out like a girlfriend, wife, small child etc. I had my girlfriend do it I got my hand stuck in there and almost ripped the wiring out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel08E93 View Post
Quote:
No tool that I've heard of but you'll have better luck getting someone with smaller hands to help you out like a girlfriend, wife, small child etc. I had my girlfriend do it I got my hand stuck in there and almost ripped the wiring out.
Haha, that sounds like me!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
Daniel08E93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Quote:
Haha, that sounds like me!
Lol yea good luck with that but if all you want to do is get a brighter H8 bulb i'd go with the LUX.I've had pairs from eBay/amazon and the LUX H8 and you can definitely tell the difference I've attached some pics of the comparison, sorry for the crappy pics but these are the only ones I have, I eventually want to just get the ring replacement and DIY it with some Bavgruppe rings because as much as I love my LUX they're just not as bright as I want when I'm driving during the day, granted I live in FL and the bulbs can only help these crappy oem rings so much but I would just go straight to the LUX bulbs if I were you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:18 AM   #7
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

I went with top gear solutions and the car had lux v5 in it already. These are significantly brighter and I had a heall of a time pulling out the old ones and these went in ALOT easier once I learned you can turn it left or right ro remove and install.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

So they can turn in either direction? That may make it easier. I think that because I also need to buff the yellowed lenses and change the DS1 bulbs anyway I may just pull them out. That should help since the radiator support right above the opening makes it even harder to get my fingers in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
I went with top gear solutions and the car had lux v5 in it already. These are significantly brighter and I had a heall of a time pulling out the old ones and these went in ALOT easier once I learned you can turn it left or right ro remove and install.
Glad you are liking the new lights.

Just to clarify, you have the HPB 240W H8 Angel Eyes, for those looking.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Exclamation

Dear LuxAngelEyes

I purchased from FCP EURO: LUX E90 V6 LED 6500K Angel Eye Bulbs
I installed them in January 2017.

Now April 2019 after 2 years 1 of the 2 bulbs has failed and stopped working.

I'm very upset because I read all the positive reviews about Lux and the product description from Lux that the lights typically were lasting 8 years.

Now I have contacted FCPEuro and they asked me to remove them and send back.
Removing the lights without having a replacement to install means I will have to do the whole process twice which took about 1 hour doing it carefully.

Can you please PM me so I could email you all the purchase details and photos and ask you for a forward replacement of just 1 bulb??????????

I would sincerely appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
Dear LuxAngelEyes

I purchased from FCP EURO: LUX E90 V6 LED 6500K Angel Eye Bulbs
I installed them in January 2017.

Now April 2019 after 2 years 1 of the 2 bulbs has failed and stopped working.

I'm very upset because I read all the positive reviews about Lux and the product description from Lux that the lights typically were lasting 8 years.

Now I have contacted FCPEuro and they asked me to remove them and send back.
Removing the lights without having a replacement to install means I will have to do the whole process twice which took about 1 hour doing it carefully.

Can you please PM me so I could email you all the purchase details and photos and ask you for a forward replacement of just 1 bulb??????????

I would sincerely appreciate it.
Already sent you a message to get this taken care of. Thank you
Appreciate 0