E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > New e90 owner looking into new headlights, need some help.

01-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
analpowder
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i e90

Lightbulb New e90 owner looking into new headlights, need some help.

Hey there!

I'm sorry if I seem quite ignorant... I got an e90 328i 2007 about 2 months ago, and I had to switch/fix some stuff.

I need to fix my adaptive headlight error, and I'd figured it would just be better to get a new headlight set since those little adaptive controllers will cost me about 200.

I've found some headlights, such as these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-HID-X...FaAluI&vxp=mtr

However, I am not quite sure if I have Xenon or Halogen headlight.
These say it only fits OEM HID Xenon models, and I ran my VIN through 2 decorders online which said that my model came with HID Xenon + adaptive lights.

Is that kit good? It seems to be good and work with HID/Xenon OEM models, which apparently mine is.
If you have any other suggestion for headlights, I'd appreciate it!
(I really don't want to spend the outrageous 500+ for 1 or 2 xenon lights that I've seen on ECS tuning, for example).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
I doubt those are nearly as good as oem in terms of quality, longevity, and light output.

Why not just code out the adaptive feature and use your headlights as-is, without the adaptive feature?
      01-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
I doubt those are nearly as good as oem in terms of quality, longevity, and light output.

Why not just code out the adaptive feature and use your headlights as-is, without the adaptive feature?
My current OEM lights are dirty and old. I'd have to clean them.

I am sure those aren't as good as the OEM, and I don't know how to code out the adaptive thing... When I try to turn on my hard lights (meaning I push the lever away from me) the hard lights won't come on, and the error is always there when I start the car.

I am looking into coding out the SOS error (aftermarket radio), so I guess I could code out that adaptive one too... But maybe a sensor is broken? The hard lights won't stay on, but if I pull the level towards me they will turn on... and I don't want to have to hold that lever to have my hard lights on. I am not sure if that's due to the adaptive sensors which cause the headlight control lever to not keep the hard lights on when I push it away from me (the hard light "light" comes "on" on the dash for both, towards and away from me, though.
Sorry if that sounds complicated.. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #4
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Your current lights may be dirty, but to me that doesn't warrant a replacement. Just give them a good clean.

Not sure what you mean by "hard" lights, but perhaps you mean high beams based on your description?

As for coding, who ever helps with the SOS coding can likely help you code out your adaptive errors. I believe there's a coding section of this forum, you may have someone capable of coding close to you. If not, some may be able to help remotely.

Good luck.
      01-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Your current lights may be dirty, but to me that doesn't warrant a replacement. Just give them a good clean.

Not sure what you mean by "hard" lights, but perhaps you mean high beams based on your description?

As for coding, who ever helps with the SOS coding can likely help you code out your adaptive errors. I believe there's a coding section of this forum, you may have someone capable of coding close to you. If not, some may be able to help remotely.

Good luck.
Yeah, sorry, I mean my high beams.
The lever for for the lights work, I can flicker them (high beams), but when I try to keep the high beams on by pushing the lever away from me, the high beams won't even come on but the high beams light is on the dashboard. When I pull the lever towards me the high beams turn on + the dash light for high beams.

I am not sure if that might have to do with the adaptive headlight sensors.

I'll look into cleaning the oem lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Your lever is messed up (or just dirty), not your headlights
Appreciate 0