E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

02-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #309
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The factors gd48 has put forward have, as said, be discussed before, in fact, in many blogs and forums. My thoughts are posted somewhere in this thread, on the Watchdog feedback, and BMWLand.

It has to be a combination of factors, 19" rims being the worse case example.

The premature tyre wear does add weight to camber having a large part in the cracking. What does get a bit confusing is the mileage some get both before cracking and premature inside wear. Suggesting driving style and pressure setting have a large part in the issue as well. Drivers returning as little as 5k miles from a tyre, or having rims crack in a month or so of use, makes the picture even more difficult to explain. The wear pattern on normal rubber, same 19" rims, suggests the RFT has a major 'impact' on the rim problem.

Big subject, showing BMW have not got it correct for day to day driving.

BTW, Tony Bones at WIM has looked at the camber issue and will recalibrate the settings to reduce tyre wear.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #310
gd48
Rep
Drives: 330d Coupe M Sport Highline

Interesting feedback which I appreciate.

I've notified Bridgestone in addition to the other parties I referred to. I'll be interested to see if they have anything to contribute, especially if they would expect genuine under inflation / overloading to produce the same wear pattern as is observed by the wear and overloading induced by running a tyre on one side only, as is the case here. I've seen their standard answer but would like to know if they can tell the difference. If they can't..................

I have also noticed that the DTC is very sensitive in the wet, even to the point of disengaging the cruise control when crossing cats eyes. This would also seem to suggest a loss of traction due to the small contact patch and uncompliant tyre. I wouldn't expect this when travelling at a constant speed in any other vehicle, and I'm sure other 3 series without this wheel and tyre combination would not exhibit this behaviour.

I can see that increasing tyre pressure would alleviate the wear problem to an extent by making the tread section convex and so increase the contact patch, but this is hiding the problem, not curing it IMHO. As mentioned above would zero camber perhaps be a permanent fix.

On the subject of camber, my belief is that for a vehicle without much body roll and with ultra hard (RTF) sidewall tyres, negative camber is redundant and could be set to zero on this model without compromising the handling. Does anyone have any opinion / guidance?

My last question is, does anyone know of any progress that anyone may have made via the courts or other regulatory bodies?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #311
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Zero camber... that is a very complex subject. Many of us already know that the run-flat has major conficts in how it works with existing suspension systems, let alone modify a critical setting.

Simplest way, IMO, is get rid of the offending tyres, but not everyone is wanting, or willing to do so.

BMW have obviously honed and tuned the suspension to the best handling they can acheive from the suspension. So it is not just a case of recalibrating one setting, camber the one in question. The contact patch has to be optimised through the whole suspension movement, and in all conditions of load transmission, acceleration and braking, both in straight line conditions and also in bends. I can see the wrong adjustments from this more aggresive camber BMW have chosen, resulting is some strange reactions, on or near the limits. Perhaps combined camber and toe settings will acheive the desired results, may even need front adjustments as well to work. Needs a skilled mind and experience to set the car up as safely, outside BMWs figures.

The limited slip angle of run-flat tyres make it harder to tune geometry without some strange 'snap' reactions near the limits.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #312
gd48
Rep
Drives: 330d Coupe M Sport Highline

Well to me it is quite clear that BMW have (maybe inadvertantly) introduced a major flaw into this vehicle and as such are responsible. I'll have to see how the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) and the Consumer Credit Act help me in rejecting the vehicle as not fit for purpose, as by any measure this is unacceptable.

Has anyone had any luck in the courts?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #313
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

gd48, you mentioned in one of your posts about rejecting the vehicle. Personally I would see a battle on all counts. If you are talking of rejecting the 'optional' 19" wheels, then perhaps you have a stronger case. I assume your 330d car did not come with 18" wheels as standard fitment, but you had an optional 19" fitment. According to BMW documents, they say (in context), cars perform best on the standard configuration.

I suppose it all depends where the burden of proof rests. If BMW and Bridgestone have documented design and development records, that rims and tyres have not failed prematurely, tyres last reasonable mileage in average driving conditions, then the 'fit for purpose' bit gets tougher to dispute.

How you would get to see the R&D reports and test data collected at that stage, without official investigation, I'm not sure.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #314
v24mis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe

guys,

is it worth pursuing a warranty claim if i have had the alloy repaired before??

thanks for any answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #315
mark64
Rep
Drives: bmw 325se auto black

mot faliure

just failed first mot rear wheel cracked , they want £525 plus vat for new wheel , only done 22000mls im gutted, 07 ,325 se coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #316
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

Mark I was the same. First its first MOT last week but they were very helpful and got me a replacement for free without too much hassle or drama
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #317
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Hi - i tried to search but couldn't see any posts referring to the Style 269 BMW Performance alloys. Does anyone know if they suffer from the same issues of cracking ?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #318
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

how are some people getting cracked replacements for free and others not? is it dealer specific? my front left tyre is losing pressure slowly, have a feeling its cracked as the others are fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #319
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Hi, a pal of mine has been welding these alloys for years.
He runs a sheet metal fab shop and the local dealer has been taking alloys there for a long time.
Before my ownership of 230s and after seeing a few in the workshop I presumed it was from kerb bumping.
How wrong I was.

But they can and have been weld repaired successfully for some time.
Has nobody else done this?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #320
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

Hi, I had my rear 19" 230 style alloy replaced by BMW, no charge. The dealer checked the alloy, sent of a report to "the BMW engineer", obviously it was agreed that the alloy had failed and had not been overly impacted by pot-holes, etc.

Interesting points for me was that the dealer acknowledged there was a problem (but would check for impact damage all the same), my car has the extended BMW warranty (if you read the small print alloys and tyres are NOT covered) and my car has non runflats (Conti Sport 3's), I was expecting a bit of a battle on the warranty and non runflat front, but it was not even mentioned.

So, a big thanks to this forum and all who have raised this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #321
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

Crack!! bmw made a big mistake with these wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #322
andyp74199
munich leg end
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport

Garage List
without trudging through all the old pages on this topic i thought id just add that I've recently had my one of my 18" 193Ms at the back replaced under warranty due to a 1" crack inside the wheel.

The tyre fitters at Kwik Fit noticed a small piece of blue insulation tape stuck to the inside when fitting new rubber and pulled it away to reveal the crack and they think it was there to stop air leaking out ! Dick Lovett BMW at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol were really helpful and tested the wheel for alignment (to check for accident damage) and upon finding it was true sent my warranty claim off to BMW UK who approved a new wheel to be supplied and fitted. Problem solved but I am concerned as to how and why the tape was there...??

Car is a 2008 model 320d M Sport supplied used (had 2000miles on) from BMW UK stock and (always) serviced by Dick Lovett BMW in Swindon who unsurprisingly know nothing about the tape.

Last edited by andyp74199; 08-09-2010 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: accuracy
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #323
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp74199 View Post
without trudging through all the old pages on this topic i thought id just add that I've recently had my one of my 18" 193Ms at the back replaced under warranty due to a 1" crack inside the wheel.

The tyre fitters at Kwik Fit noticed a small piece of blue insulation tape stuck to the inside when fitting new rubber and pulled it away to reveal the crack and they think it was there to stop air leaking out ! Dick Lovett BMW at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol were really helpful and tested the wheel for alignment (to check for accident damage) and upon finding it was true sent my warranty claim off to BMW UK who approved a new wheel to be supplied and fitted. Problem solved but I am concerned as to how and why the tape was there...??

Car is a 2008 model 320d M Sport supplied used (had 2000miles on) from BMW UK stock and (always) serviced by Dick Lovett BMW in Swindon who unsurprisingly know nothing about the tape.
BMW were probably trying cover the crack up so you don't complain
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #324
andyp74199
munich leg end
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92K.C10 View Post
BMW were probably trying cover the crack up so you don't complain

yes my thoughts exactly !

So much for oem parts giving you piece of mind
      08-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #325
yiangou4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M sport

GOOD LUCK, I,VE BEEN TOLD BY BMW I HAVE ALSO TWO CRACKED REARS. BMW DONT WANT TO KNOW.
I WAS LOOKING TO BUY SECOND HAND
ANY COMMENTS ON THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
You might have seen my cracked wheels thread elsewhere, this is a new one to keep it brief and simple. A few of you have been asking how I've been getting on

Long story short is that I've simply had two cracked rear alloys - Scothall and BMW cust services refuse to cover under warranty. Threatened BMW with legal action should they not resolve to my satisfaction, got ignored.

Just done the claim online whilst watching spooks, pretty simple, £60 cost.

Feel free to guess if I will suceed or fail....

Oh, and if anyone from BMW customer services is reading, good evening....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #326
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
You might have seen my cracked wheels thread elsewhere, this is a new one to keep it brief and simple. A few of you have been asking how I've been getting on

Long story short is that I've simply had two cracked rear alloys - Scothall and BMW cust services refuse to cover under warranty. Threatened BMW with legal action should they not resolve to my satisfaction, got ignored.

Just done the claim online whilst watching spooks, pretty simple, £60 cost.

Feel free to guess if I will suceed or fail....

Oh, and if anyone from BMW customer services is reading, good evening....
Hello pjs

I was wondering how you are making pout? perhaps you can have a read of my post here to put you into the picture ... I also have had the 2 rear wheel crack experience. It is a long story, however here is a condensed version.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425657

One wheel having 2 hairline cracks was replaced by BMW under warranty, the one I had changed in Idaho 3 weeks ago during a road trip BMW will not replace it has an open crack ~ 1/32" transverse to the axel. BMW advised me the wheel is bend ... sure having a crack in it I don't expect it to run true. A 6th grader can evaluate that one. Picture of the wheel is here

I will perform further TIR runout checks on the wheel this weekend in a vertical boring mill then write a report to BMW Germany.

I am just wondering how you are making out. Leave me a post or PM me

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #327
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I thought it meant the 'roundness' - ie: If it had hit a bump/pothole the wheel would have gone slightly oval but not no more than 0.3mm? It is a measure of how 'out of round' a wheel is

EDIT:

It is, the side to side wobble, like a buckled bike wheel is lateral runout

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=m...sult#PPA299,M1
The machine that BMW uses can have more then a 0.3 mm (0.012") Total Indicator Runout (TIR). What it really is you place the wheel on a flat round table, then mount a dial indicator on a fixed stationary position (away from the table). The wheel is then set up using the dial to as close to Zero in 4 locations. Then starting at one point with the Dial Indicator set at 0.000" you rotate the wheel that is fastened to the table and measure the TIR.

Now visualize the table is running on some sort of bearing the bearing will have some slack that will contribute to the TIR. So lets say the table is in bad repair anything can be the outcome.

Let me just say the 0.3 mm tolerance is a big joke, besides a wheel that has a crack will also have in excess ot 0.3 mm TIR (since it has sprung open at the crack) any 6 year old will tell you that.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #328
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp74199 View Post

Man that is unbelievable, is your car a new car or did you purchase it second hand?

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #329
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
how are some people getting cracked replacements for free and others not? is it dealer specific? my front left tyre is losing pressure slowly, have a feeling its cracked as the others are fine.

Did you inspect the inside outer rim carefully? Normally this is the weakest point opposite the spokes on the inside outer diameter).

Both my 19 inch wheels cracked there. One with 2 hairline cracks (very fine cracks) was replaced under warranty. The one with the open crack was not replaced, BMW said the wheel is bend (the BMW runout check). I will be taking this up with BMW Germany

Get your wheel carefully inspected.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #330
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Cracked Alloy Wheels ... What is Going On?

There seam to be no replies whatsoever ... have all of you received satisfaction from BMW or what might be going on?

Is this thread dead? Would be nice if some of you post some follow ups

Check it out here

My follow up to date being very brief ...

Cracked both my rear 19" Style 296 running on RFT on a road trip. Driver side failed with an open crack (resulting in a flat tire) in the US BMW ordered a new wheel overnight made me pay for it (BMW advised oh our warranty polices in the US have different guidelines then yours in Canada). BMW USA gave me 2 choices

A) order a new wheel and pay for it then claim warranty in Canada.

B) call Roadside Assistance and have them tow you to the nearest Canadian BMW Dealer (some 1,000 miles from where I was properly would have cost me $1,200-

I opted for option "A" when the wheel arrived BMW directed me to a tire shop they use (BMW only checks air pressure at the location I was). Well the tire shop was very rough removing the tire leaving 2 heavy gauge marks on the rim.

During the wheel change out I ask for all 4 wheels to be checked for cracks, low and behold 2 more hairline cracks were found in the passenger rear wheel. I decided to drive home with that wheel as it is, hopping to make it home (some 3,000 KM to go). I did make it home.

Back home BMW replaced the wheel with the 2 hairline cracks under warranty. The driver side rear with the open crack was declared bend (sure open crack and miss-handling by the tire shop I would not expect a passing mark of 0.300mm / 0.012" max run-out) anyway that wheel was declared not fit for warranty replacement. So I am out $1,000- wheel and expenses.

Photos of my cracked driver side wheel can be seen here

My tires have also worn on the inside ... see page 2 of the photo album.

Appreciate 0