E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 06 325i cranks no start

09-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

How to Add Script Selection Line in INPA; open CORRECT Variant

I just realized that you may NOT have gotten INPA able to connect with Fuel Pump Module: EKPM60_3 Version.
In Post #13, you attached a screenprint of Error Message that indicated the Program requested Fuel Pump
Variant EKPM60_2, which was NOT found, but Variant "EKPM60_3" WAS Found.

Here's HOW to fix that so you can view F5 Status/ Live Data, or F6 Activate Fuel Pump to test:
0) Make sure INPA is NOT open and running on your Computer
1) Open your C:\ Directory in Windows Explorer, and Drill down to C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT
2) You will see a screen similar to first attachment. Double-click the E90.ENG File, and it opens in WordPad
3) That file is the Configuration File for E90 Models, in English (nicht deutsch ;-), similar to 2nd attachment
4) 2nd page of the WordPad document looks like 3rd attachment; Note Highlighted "ENTRY"
5) This file is a "comma de-limited" file to which you simply add the Line of Text Highlighted in Blue
6) Type a new line EXACTLY as it appears in Blue Highlight. That allows you to now open 60_3 Variant Script
7) SAVE that modified file. Save in SAME CFGDAT Folder with SAME name, replacing original File
8) AFTER Saving modified "E90.ENG" file, open INPA and check for new Script Selection Line (attach.#4)
9) You should NOW be able to connect to the EKP Module, Read Code Details & use F5 & F6.

You MUST have "ENTRY=EKPM60_3," Exactly as that appears. You CAN use your own wording
AFTER the "Field-delimiting" Comma, so that you can more easily identify & select YOUR Variant.
Same procedure may be used to add a line for ANY missing Variant, such as "GS1912" GM6 AT.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

After last nights testing the VVT relay all codes were the same. I was trying to save them and accidentally cleared the error memory this morning. Ugh....

Did the changes on INPA and the EKP module shows up fine now.

Immediate codes that came back were valvetronic related. I will go screenshot them in a minute and post them.

I have to go get a set of sockets to remove the motor so I can test it. I still don't know why the VVT relay does not activate unless a jumper is applied unless something in the DME is bad.

Question: Key fob doesn't unlock the doors or trunk so I assume battery is dead, but the car does "see" the key when I get close to the ignition. Could that cause any issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #25
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also is there a place besides MEGA to download ISTA? I can't get MEGA to work for me, just hangs up trying to download.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #26
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybirdisfree View Post
Also is there a place besides MEGA to download ISTA? I can't get MEGA to work for me, just hangs up trying to download.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=2
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #27
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Did the changes on INPA and the EKP module shows up fine now. [ ONE Down, ~ 23 to go ]
Immediate codes that came back were valvetronic related. I will go screenshot them in a minute and post them. [Please do ]
I have to go get a set of sockets to remove the motor so I can test it. [I would suggest testing it and the entire VVT system using INPA, BEFORE you disconnect or remove anything. I will provide screen suggestions when you post current codes]
I still don't know why the VVT relay does not activate unless a jumper is applied unless something in the DME is bad. [SAME as above]
Question: Key fob doesn't unlock the doors or trunk so I assume battery is dead, but the car does "see" the key when I get close to the ignition. Could that cause any issues?
Since I don't recall any "Activation" attempt of Fuel Pump to see if you can hear it run, I would suggest performing INPA F6 Activation, BOTH when connected to EKP Module (60_3), AND when connected to DME (MSV70). The Menu Sequence for the DME Activation:
INPA > DME (MSV70) > F6 > F1 Activations Group 1 > F7 EKP Activation

You COULD find that you can activate the Fuel Pump when connected directly to it, but NOT via the DME Activation (F7) Screen. THAT would indicate a BUS Connection issue between DME & EKP Modules.

The "Radio signal" that the Remote Key sends only provides a "Lock/Unlock" radio signal to the "Aerial Diversity" to signal the CAS to Lock/Unlock doors, etc. The small, rechargeable (on NON Comfort Access Models) battery in the Remote Key will NOT send such a signal if discharged.

Put the Key in the Insert Compartment and leave ignition ON for ~ 30 minutes (all other systems OFF) with battery charger connected to Jumpstart Terminals under hood, charging at 6-Amp to 10-Amp Rate (at least 4-Amp), while you TRY to recharge key. If you had Comfort Access system, the Remote key would have a small access port on back of key to change battery.

Remote Key Battery status has NOTHING to do with Engine start, Ignition ON. There is a chip in the Remote Key which is read by the Insert Compartment reader. As you suggest, if you simply get the key ~ 1/4" from the Insert Compartment, the Radio will come on, same as if you had inserted Key. Chip Reader can read key with totally flat Key Battery.

Quote:
It appears MEGA MAY have changed their site recently (I got my downloads nearly 2 years ago). Have you tried to register for Free 20GB account? Please describe PRECISELY the steps you have taken on MEGA site when something "hangs up". Most all the different download sites, including those I linked in "References", and those used by BimmerGeeks, are MEGA sites, so we need to figure out WHAT is happening. If you have a Desktop AND a Laptop, I would suggest downloading to the Desktop, and then copying to Laptop.

As with ANY Error Message or Screen that does NOT function as expected, take a screenprint of each step leading to the Error or "hang up", and any error message, and post here for analysis.
George
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #28
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

screenshots
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #29
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

I can activate fuel pump via DME.

On the module itself I ran the test and got this screen.

When I crank from that screen the pressure hits the target value.

As for VVT, still cant activate the relay, but when jumper was attached it registered on.

VVT motor does not make any noise
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #30
cape335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

Have you checked compression?

Engines need spark fuel and compression to run, you said the fuel rail pressure is good and that you have spark so id check the compression of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #31
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape335i View Post
Have you checked compression?

Engines need spark fuel and compression to run, you said the fuel rail pressure is good and that you have spark so id check the compression of the engine.
I did and compression is low but from what I understand that the low compression could be caused from the VVT not working. Plus I saw the car run off a blast of starting fluid before the fuel pump was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #32
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I can activate fuel pump via DME. On the module itself I ran the test and got this screen. [That means Pump Connected? Yes. You should have heard the pump run ~ 3 seconds] When I crank from that screen the pressure hits the target value. [IF you can hear pump run when activated via EITHER EKPS or DME, then we'll assume Pump OK.]

As for VVT, still can't activate the relay, but when jumper was attached it registered on. VVT motor does not make any noise
BTW, your Fault Code Readout indicates 7 DME Fault Codes, but you only provided 3. While the two addressed below seem significant enough, there MAY be some clues in the other 4, so please provide at least the code numbers.

VVT Actuator Motor is NOT going to run if there is NO Signal from the ESS (Eccentric Shaft Sensor). According to BMW Fault Code Lookup, the two Fault Codes, Hexadecimal codes 2A31 & 2A32 (same as Decimal Codes 10801 & 10802), when BOTH occur TOGETHER, suggest an issue with ESS Connector (Right-Front of Valve Cover) or the Sensor itself. Here are links to Fault Info Sheets for those two codes:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...YANgAyADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...YANgAzADAANAA=

Check to make sure that connector is intact and inspect the pins & sockets for any oil or damage. A failing ESS often has oil seeping from the pins at the connector. Power to the ESS is NOT via the VVT Relay, but directly from DME. I will attach ISTA wiring diagram, Connector Location & View to NEXT post.

After inspecting, cleaning and reconnecting the ESS Connector, I would test using INPA. You attached TWO ScreenPrints showing Eccentric Shaft Angle as 33.8 Degrees.
First Screen to test is DME > F5 > F2 Analog > F6 Measured Values Group 6;
2nd Screen is DME > F6 > Shft+F7 (? - that's what it is on my MSV80) Activate VVT.

First with Engine OFF (only option at moment ;-), while viewing Status (F5) Screen:
1) Observe Eccentric Shaft Angle with Accelerator Pedal in "On Idle" position (NOT pressed); Note angle;
2) Press Pedal ~ halfway to floor, and Note any change in angle.
3) Switch to Activation Screen. With ignition On, note Angle while under DME Control.
4) Press F1 key to trigger a 10 degree Setpoint Output by DME, observe Angle Value for any change, and Note Value.
5) Press F2 key to trigger a 45 degree Setpoint Output by DME, observe Angle Value for any change and Note Value.
6) You MIGHT try repeating those tests with Ground Jumper to VVT Relay. That's YOUR call, as I haven't thought through ALL the variables. I can't immediately see any damage that might occur as long as you do NOT try to start engine. Reason I would NOT attempt Startup is there COULD be some issue with Throttle Valve Failsafe to prevent too much valve lift and over-revving.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 09-12-2021 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #33
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

ISTA ESS Connector X60253 Location & Wiring Diagram

Attached are SSP Wiring Diagram of Eccentric Shaft Sensor B60213, & Connector Location X60253.
Also, Lines ID for ESS wiring. Note Power Supply with Ignition ON (KL15) at Pin #6 of Connector.
Unfortunately, there is NO Connector view for your model, but if you use magnification with bright
light, you may see small pin numbers outboard of the sockets on connector plastic.

I would at least check for Voltage in reference to Ground at X60253/6 with ignition ON.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #34
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cleaned ESS and did find oil so I know that will need replaced.

I do not get anything from pin 6 with ignition on though.

Tried both tests and while I could see the pedal movement the angles never changed.

I then tried the jumper on vvt relay with the same results. Checked VVT relay status and still said off even though it was jumpered. Override to on and still the same results on all tests.

I also tried using the hex key method to manually move the vvt motor. Angle does change when manually moved.

Error screen and ESS pic to follow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #35
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cleaned ESS and did find oil so I know that will need replaced. [I would address Lack of power supply/ NO Voltage at X60253/6 FIRST -- see below]
I do not get anything from pin 6 with ignition on though.
Tried both tests and while I could see the pedal movement the angles never changed.
I then tried the jumper on vvt relay with the same results. Checked VVT relay status and still said off even though it was jumpered. Override to on and still the same results on all tests.
I also tried using the hex key method to manually move the vvt motor. Angle does change when manually moved.[GOOD Idea! -- see below]
Error screen and ESS pic to follow.
Not sure I follow what was done when "Angle does change when manually moved. Was ESS Connector reconnected? Was Ignition ON? When you turned VVT Motor hex CLOCKWISE, did reported angle DECREASE?

As I view the ESS wiring diagram, the Eccentric Shaft Angle value you see on the INPA Screen is provided by the ESS signals. I would think the ESS MUST be powered via X60253/6 for any signal to be received by the DME. Yet, I understand there is "0" voltage at X60253 with Ignition ON?

If I'm missing something, please enlighten.
The wiring harness between the ESS, AND also the VVT Relay ground wire that activates the Relay ALL come from X60007 at the DME. I will attach a ScreenPrint of the wiring diagram and X60007 Connector View to NEXT Post.

I would suggest testing EACH of the ESS wires, and the VVT Relay Ground Activation wire for Continuity from end-to-end, and ALSO for short to Ground (continuity to chassis Ground).

With BOTH Sensor Signal AND Relay Activation faults, water or corrosion at X60007 is likely SINGLE cause of MULTIPLE Faults.
George
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #36
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached is Connector View of X60007 per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #37
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Little update:

measures all ess wires. do have a little power on 6. Here is what I got:

Pin 1 4.6v
Pin 2 nothing
Pin 3 2.7v
Pin 4 2.6v
Pin 5 2.6v
Pin 6 1.1v
Pin 7 4.6v
Pin 8 4.6v
Pin 9 2.7v

Ignition on and VVT relay on.

Also-- when I jumper VVT to ground relay clicks. Computer reads off but allows me to turn on. Remove jumper, there is no click and relay stays on until I turn it off. Not sure if that behavior is correct LOL

Going to start checking wires tonight and see whats going on there.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #38
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Guess I have some cleaning to do lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #39
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok cleaned all connectors. Tested continuity between all ESS wires. All good. Texted VVT relay activation wire. Good.

None of the previous conditions have changed except now moving the VVT motor manually does not change the INPA value which id now at 180.

Know 30 amp fuse should be 40 lol

Last edited by whirlybirdisfree; 09-15-2021 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: fuse
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:08 PM   #40
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Going to go back and do all the testing again today just to make sure...like spark etc

I am guessing after that I am looking at something in the DME?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #41
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I am not sure what the next step is. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #42
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Sorry don't have any specific advice, but were you able to download and install ISTA, either from George's link or the torrent? I understand INPA has capabilities ISTA does not, I've used it for ABS brake bleed and DISA activation and the like, but it's cryptic and not really integrated in any coherent way for general troubleshooting, and it's very hard to decipher the Deutsch. It was designed for factory testing, ISTA is dealer level software, in English, with a troubleshooting tree, all the schematics and a generated test plan. I've found it to be much more helpful when I'm not really sure what I'm looking at because you can click and follow links to docs on error codes and such. I would put some effort into getting that working, might shed some more insight on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 12:24 AM   #43
whirlybirdisfree
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
Sorry don't have any specific advice, but were you able to download and install ISTA, either from George's link or the torrent? I understand INPA has capabilities ISTA does not, I've used it for ABS brake bleed and DISA activation and the like, but it's cryptic and not really integrated in any coherent way for general troubleshooting, and it's very hard to decipher the Deutsch. It was designed for factory testing, ISTA is dealer level software, in English, with a troubleshooting tree, all the schematics and a generated test plan. I've found it to be much more helpful when I'm not really sure what I'm looking at because you can click and follow links to docs on error codes and such. I would put some effort into getting that working, might shed some more insight on the situation.

I will try to get that working this weekend and see if that helps. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #44
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Not sure I follow what was done when "Angle does change when manually moved". Was ESS Connector reconnected? Was Ignition ON? When you turned VVT Motor hex CLOCKWISE, did reported angle DECREASE? As I view the ESS wiring diagram, the Eccentric Shaft Angle value you see on the INPA Screen is provided by the ESS signals. I would think the ESS MUST be powered via X60253/6 for any signal to be received by the DME. Yet, I understand there is "0" voltage at X60253 with Ignition ON? If I'm missing something, please enlighten.
I would suggest testing EACH of the ESS wires, and the VVT Relay Ground Activation wire for Continuity from end-to-end, and ALSO for short to Ground (continuity to chassis Ground)...
Quote:
Little update:
measured all ess wires. do have a little power on 6. Here is what I got:
Pin 1 4.6v
Pin 2 nothing
Pin 3 2.7v
Pin 4 2.6v
Pin 5 2.6v
Pin 6 1.1v [THAT has GOT to be WAAAY LOW -- Ignition ON?]
Pin 7 4.6v
Pin 8 4.6v
Pin 9 2.7v
Ignition on and VVT relay on.
Also-- when I jumper VVT to ground relay clicks. Computer reads off but allows me to turn on. Remove jumper, there is no click and relay stays on until I turn it off. Not sure if that behavior is correct LOL
Going to start checking wires tonight and see whats going on there.
I presume those are all measuring DC Volts, meter setting 20V or less, with Red Meter Probe on X60253 Socket, and Black Probe on Chassis Ground? If those were done in that fashion with Ignition ON, then your wiring harness between Computer Connector X60007 and ESS Connector X60253 is likely DAMAGED. What I was suggesting in Post #35 was to test those wires, BOTH for "Continuity" AND for short to ground. As example, testing Power supply wire from X60007/21 to X60253/6:
1) Disconnect BOTH Connectors, X60007 at DME, AND X60253 at ESS;
2) Set Meter to middle range Ohms setting, such as 20k Ohms;
3) Place Red Meter Probe on socket X60007/21, and Black Meter Probe on Socket X60253/6;
4) Ohms should be ~ 0 Ohms -- say .01 Ohm. That means wire is continuous with virtually NO reslstance.
5) Keeping Red Probe on X60007, place Black Meter Probe on good Chassis Ground (UN-painted metal). Ohms reading SHOULD be "1" OR "Infinity" (open circuit).
Do that for ALL 8 wires (NO Pin#2 in X60253).

Quote:
Ok cleaned all connectors. Tested continuity between all ESS wires. All good. Texted VVT relay activation wire. Good. None of the previous conditions have changed except now moving the VVT motor manually does not change the INPA value which id now at 180...Well I am not sure what the next step is. Any ideas?
I would suggest "RE-Test" continuity and short-to-ground for ALL 8 wires of the ESS Connector, X60253, and report findings. I do NOT understand HOW you got the Voltage values you reported in post #37. Note that Pins #1, #7 & #8 are ALL "4.6V" and Pins #3, #4, #5 & #9 are all ~ 2.7V, while Pin #6 which is supposed to be Power Supply (when Ignition ON) is only 1.1V. Were you measuring Voltage at each socket of X60253, with Red Probe in socket, and Black Probe touching Chassis Ground? Were those tests with DME Main Relay (KL87) activated?

BTW, I don't recall you having verified that Fuel Pump is priming at door opening, and RUNNING during Starter Cranking. You can verify that either by sound, or by monitoring Pump RPM during Starter Cranking (EKPS > F5 Status),

George
Appreciate 0