E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help Camshaft installation faulty

05-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
NoCandy4Yuh
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

Help Camshaft installation faulty

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 335i xi with the n55 engine. For the past month or so the car's been idling funny. It'll drop to 400RPM then raise to 1200RPM, it'll stumble often like its going to stall and sometimes it'll actually stall.

I have a MHD tune on the car and thought it might be software related so i flashed back to stock and reset all the adaptions.

Now I get these 3 codes and the car goes into limp mode.

2C58 - Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence
3011 - Intake Camshaft: Installation faulty.
3012 - Exhaust Camshaft: Installation faulty.

If I clear the codes they'll resurface every time I restart the car

I haven't installing anything new, do you think it could be the camshaft sensors? I just think it's odd both sensors are having issues at the same time.
But it could explain why it was idling funny.

Just wanted some advice before I go to the mechanic and they say I need to replace the camshafts.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

This is my advice for anytime you go to the mechanic: Ask them to diagnose and fix your problem of the idle being erratic. Do not request they replace a specific part, because if you evaluation of the problem is wrong, you'll get new camshafts and still have the problem.
      05-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
NoCandy4Yuh
Rep

Hey Rob thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just afraid they'll use their diagnostic tool, see the same codes and they'll say that's what was causing the erratic idle without doing further investigation.

My friend told me about an Indy shop that works mostly with BMWs, was gonna stop by after work, hopefully they'll give me an honest diagnostic.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
barteku
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi NoCandy4Yuh,

Have you solved this issue?
I have the same problem. I have tuned car and rough idle from 770rpm to 790rpm and little vibration on car. I decided to reset all adaptations in ISTA and after that I have same error like you:

Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence
Intake Camshaft: Installation faulty.
Exhaust Camshaft: Installation faulty.

Do you know what to do with that?

Thanks,
B
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
NoCandy4Yuh
Rep

Yes I got it resolved. The issue was the bolts that held on the vanos units had gone bad and weren't able to be tightened properly. My Mechanic replaced the bolts and reset the codes and they never returned.

The bolts are cheap and you can find them here (you need 2)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...6-7-524-954-M9

But replacing them involves taking of the valve cover to access the vanos units, and using a timing tool make sure your cam timing is still good after the work is done.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Bavarian702
///Vegasbimmers
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCandy4Yuh View Post
Yes I got it resolved. The issue was the bolts that held on the vanos units had gone bad and weren't able to be tightened properly. My Mechanic replaced the bolts and reset the codes and they never returned.

But replacing them involves taking of the valve cover to access the vanos units, and using a timing tool make sure your cam timing is still good after the work is done.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCandy4Yuh View Post

Hope this helps!
Hi! I thought those bolts was part of a recall campaign about almost two years ago
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
juld0zer
Captain
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

There are a fair few cars out there that were not part of the recall which have sheared the heads off these bolts.

Usually if all the bolt heads are missing then you are supposed to replace the adjuster(s) as a complete unit. And drop the sump to fish out the remnants.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
rapoot6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hello,

I had the exact same errors come up on my N55 after I reset all the adaptations via MHD.

The car had its VANOS bolt recall performed 2 years ago and the dealership has said that in their repair attempt they have replaced the vanos bolts, adjusted timing etc, cleared the codes and updated the DME to no avail.

They have now had the car for 3 weeks+ with this issue

Anyone have any suggestions on the fix for this?

Thank you
Appreciate 0