E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car idle very rough! HELP

10-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 335i

Car idle very rough! HELP

I was out driving and I was going pretty fast, I heard some type of noise not as loud as a bang but just a little vibration. I couldn't tell due to the music being played, after that I slowed down and my car began to shake, pulled off the road immediately and popped the hood to see if I could see anything, I couldn't it was just idling very rough, turned the car off and on and did the same thing. thank god I was 5 minutes away from home, drove home parked it and let it sit for about 20 minutes, came back and still starts and idles very rough, SES light is on but wont be able to read code until tomorrow, any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
kenni243
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan - Black/Black

Could be many things...Need codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfloridiankicks View Post
I was out driving and I was going pretty fast, I heard some type of noise not as loud as a bang but just a little vibration. I couldn't tell due to the music being played, after that I slowed down and my car began to shake, pulled off the road immediately and popped the hood to see if I could see anything, I couldn't it was just idling very rough, turned the car off and on and did the same thing. thank god I was 5 minutes away from home, drove home parked it and let it sit for about 20 minutes, came back and still starts and idles very rough, SES light is on but wont be able to read code until tomorrow, any help is appreciated
When it happened to me, it was failed coil, but as said above, it can be anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmanek View Post
Quote:
When it happened to me, it was failed coil, but as said above, it can be anything.
Was it multiple or just one? Also just got off the phone with bmw they said it could be my charge pipe is cracked, hard to look at with airbox right over it, would that make any sense and would that throw codes
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
kenni243
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan - Black/Black

Yes, if its cracked you will get rough idle, especially if your driving hard which will cause boost leak...Is the car still getting rough idle after a cold start? Can you drive easy without stepping hard on the gas? You really need to check for code or take to a shop to have it look at. Calling BMW will lead you to more questions then answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni243 View Post
Yes, if its cracked you will get rough idle, especially if your driving hard which will cause boost leak...Is the car still getting rough idle after a cold start? Can you drive easy without stepping hard on the gas? You really need to check for code or take to a shop to have it look at. Calling BMW will lead you to more questions then answer.
Already read the codes, just a misfire in cylinder 3, took it all apart to replace everything and came down to not owning the correct socket for the spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 335i

Quote:
Already read the codes, just a misfire in cylinder 3, took it all apart to replace everything and came down to not owning the correct socket for the spark plugs
Autozone sells the socket for it if you still need it.
Appreciate 0