E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Burble Mod Dilemma

10-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
RGP-N54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i e92

Exclamation MHD Burble Mod Dilemma

I already gave my 2 cents on another post, but I might as well just update it here.

There was a concern that's went around regarding whether MHD Burble tune was safe or not, that it was causing smoking turbos, causing oil to burn quicker, and that the car was reading that the oil was low even though it wasn't.

I previously ran Aggressive for 2 seconds when I was stock. My car smoked a lot, when I went Catless Downpipes the problem went away.

Last night I decided to just retune the car without the burble mod and I noticed a few things.

The first was that the car decelerated a lot smoother than it did prior, which was also another concern of a few people that had used the Burble mod.

The second was that for some reason in drive my car was in second gear right away instead of first, I'm not sure what this was about lol.

The last was the car just felt smoother and less clunky, difficult to explain but that's what I've noted. Everyone has their preference and the MHD Burble mod is fun, but I decided to turn it off and call it a day. Nothing's been confirmed on either side, so rather be safe than sorry. Especially with new turbos from warranty.

If anyone wants to put input I'd be more than happy to discuss
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I'd never risk damaging my turbos for this.. just my opinion.
      10-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

MMP on there FB group pretty much said that its horrible for turbos and it would void your MMP turbo warranty since your intentionally destroying the turbo.

I dont know how correct he is, but i would probably lean toward his opinion since he rebuilds these turbos for a living.
Appreciate 1
SeanCon101.00
      10-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

in my opinion i dont think it would be included in mhd if it was destroying turbos

but thats just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

MMP is just using it as an excuse to deny warranty claims on their turbos. There is ZERO data or even a smidge of logic behind this theory that it damages anything let alone turbos. The only thing is damages is your wallet because you waste gas wanting to make it crackle and pop.

MANY stock turbocharged cars from Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc, etc have this same exact feature as do the OEM BMW performance tunes and many people, including myself ran the BMW PPK tunes for years prior to going MHD. The MHD burbles uses the same exact method as the the BMW PPK tunes.
Appreciate 3
BSM n54iS2684.50
Badmon33.50
      10-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
MMP is just using it as an excuse to deny warranty claims on their turbos. There is ZERO data or even a smidge of logic behind this theory that it damages anything let alone turbos. The only thing is damages is your wallet because you waste gas wanting to make it crackle and pop.

MANY stock turbocharged cars from Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc, etc have this same exact feature as do the OEM BMW performance tunes and many people, including myself ran the BMW PPK tunes for years prior to going MHD. The MHD burbles uses the same exact method as the the BMW PPK tunes.
If you do a quick google search of MHD burble problems you'll find a bunch of people having troubles.

Check out this thread: http://n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41374

dotCEO says "My car started to smoke like a B**ch when I used the burble feature. My car is in 100% operating condition with brand spanking new turbos... I took that burble business off, and after probably a week, my car went back to normal not smoking at all... so to test, I put the burble again, and boom... here comes the smoke. I took it off, and my smoke is almost gone again... I also panicked and thought it was the valve seals, but nope... at least in my case, it was the 5 second burble left at the soft setting... I run E85 full C@t delete from *** out, and my car usually smells like corn, but with the burble it smells like oil.

In conclusion, try taking it off, run for a while and see if it goes away because both times, mine did completely. Now it's back to smelling like corn "

Torgus agreed "very interesting...I have the burble on but it has gotten much MUCH quieter recently and my oil light just turned on for the 1st time in owning the car. I have not noticed much smoke if any. Now I am wondering if these are related"

And I'm pretty sure MMP knows what's good and bad for their turbos... unfair to accuse them of using this as an excuse to deny warranty claims.

Not saying everyone is having these troubles, but the amount I see is enough to scare me away. If your really dying to have your car burble (which I am not) then maybe you'll take the risk.
      10-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCon View Post
If you do a quick google search of MHD burble problems you'll find a bunch of people having troubles.

dotCEO says "My car started to smoke like a B**ch when I used the burble feature. My car is in 100% operating condition with brand spanking new turbos... I took that burble business off, and after probably a week, my car went back to normal not smoking at all... so to test, I put the burble again, and boom... here comes the smoke. I took it off, and my smoke is almost gone again... I also panicked and thought it was the valve seals, but nope... at least in my case, it was the 5 second burble left at the soft setting... I run E85 full C@t delete from *** out, and my car usually smells like corn, but with the burble it smells like oil.

In conclusion, try taking it off, run for a while and see if it goes away because both times, mine did completely. Now it's back to smelling like corn "

Torgus agreed "very interesting...I have the burble on but it has gotten much MUCH quieter recently and my oil light just turned on for the 1st time in owning the car. I have not noticed much smoke if any. Now I am wondering if these are related"

And I'm pretty sure MMP knows what's good and bad for their turbos... unfair to accuse them of using this as an excuse to deny warranty claims.

Not saying everyone is having these troubles, but the amount I see is enough to scare me away. If your really dying to have your car burble (which I am not) then maybe you'll take the risk.
Whats more likely...

MHD release a burble feature which is killing turbos, but its the same as the BMW PPK flash tunes burbles which no one has complained about.

or

N54 Hybrid turbos failing as they have been failing for the past 10 years because they are all poorly made and there isnt a single reliable twin hybrid on the market with no failures.

Also why no N55 turbo failures, we have MHD burble as well.
Badmon33.50
ewicky204.00
      10-25-2017, 01:35 AM   #8
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Been running PPK and then MHD with burble for about 2 years by now. No smoking issues here. Car is now catless and still no smoke...
I'm N55 by the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
9krpmrx8
Rep

Smile

Quote:

Anecdotal. And MMP brought this up and then quickly added the clause to their warranty. Like I said, the burble has been around forever and if it damaged turboes you can be sure that OEM's would not use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Anecdotal. And MMP brought this up and then quickly added the clause to their warranty. Like I said, the burble has been around forever and if it damaged turboes you can be sure that OEM's would not use it.
Maybe it has to do with being on the most aggressive setting with longest duration. And wouldn't it make sense for MMP to add it to their warranty clause if they felt it could damage the turbos? (which I actually don't see in their warranty anyway)

All I'm saying is I see enough people with the smoke and oil consumption issues to scare me away from it personally. These two articles might help shed some light on the topic.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298227

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391311
      10-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
9krpmrx8
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Maybe it has to do with being on the most aggressive setting with longest duration. And wouldn't it make sense for MMP to add it to their warranty clause if they felt it could damage the turbos? (which I actually don't see in their warranty anyway)

All I'm saying is I see enough people with the smoke and oil consumption issues to scare me away from it personally. These two articles might help shed some light on the topic.

And it is fine if it scares you away from running it, but that is only because you don't understand it. And oil consumption is normal and by design in the N54/N55.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 10-25-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      10-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And it is fine if it scares you away from running it, but that is only because you don't understand it. And oil consumption is normal and by design in the N54/N55.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4505/...ab6c6a02_o.jpg[/img]
Thanks for sharing. I trust the experts.
      10-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
9krpmrx8
Rep

Experts huh? So if other turbo manufacturers stated that it's a non issue then who do you trust?

I guess BMW doesn't employ any experts either,
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
lukasB
God
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

This dilemma can be solved very easy. Enable burble, run it for a while, then disable it and run it for a while and then decide if you and your car likes it. Personally I think it's more than stupid to dump fuel into exhaust manifold and explode it there
Appreciate 6
      10-26-2017, 05:27 AM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Guys, I have been running the exhaust burble ever since it was released on MHD.

2 things I have noticed - My oil consumption hasn't seemed to change, I have an occ also and rarely ever have any oil in there. I do my own oil changes and have never had my oil light come on. On top of that I could easily tell immediately when my VCG was leaking for example and replaced it asap.

BUT I do have a smoking issue... it's only in the winter time though, so I guess that means that the cold temperatures are causing the turbos to burn through more oil and ruining the seals because of the MHD burble option right????????

KNOW your vehicle, DO your research on exactly WHAT it is you are physically doing to the machinery you own, USE your fuckin head and some common sense guys. Don't beat on your turbos with cold oil, keep up with the maintenance, don't do stupid shit like run it for 5 seconds.... FIVE SECONDS?! WTH you need to burble THAT long for?? with an aftermarket tune sold to the general public and not tailored to your own specific vehicle, I mean just know what the hell it is you're doing and you'll be fine. The very fact that we are even having this conversation says that there is nothing wrong with the burble option itself, if there were a problem there would be a definitive answer and an immediate end to this and all other threads on the subject...
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

Honestly, the stock burble is good enough for me. Why risk all this.
Appreciate 1
SeanCon101.00
      10-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #17
9krpmrx8
Rep

"That (Censored) is saying afterburn is killing his turbos, just means he has not figured out why his turbine wheels are failing yet. We already know why all the 9 Blade TDO4HL turbines industry-wide are failing because well we paid to have composition testing done, as well as X-ray, and vibration testing.

The burble tunes while dumb, and ricey as hell, are not doing anything to destroy turbos on decel. Careful what you believe people...."
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Been running it since inception without issues but I only run Aggressive 1 second. I did have some initial concerns about it which is why I kept conservative at 1 second.

No smoke, no oil consumption, no drivability issues. I think MHD did tone down the burble aggressiveness on the latest maps or firmware as I updated recently and it's not nearly as loud. Possibly placebo but they did used to be louder.

It's one thing to note, other cars come with this feature from the factory. Jaguar, Mercedes, ETC

Unless MHD is doing it "incorrectly" it's possible the issues people experience are just coincidence. However, if your vehicle does in fact "act up" when it's being used, simply don't use it.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
"That (Censored) is saying afterburn is killing his turbos, just means he has not figured out why his turbine wheels are failing yet. We already know why all the 9 Blade TDO4HL turbines industry-wide are failing because well we paid to have composition testing done, as well as X-ray, and vibration testing.

The burble tunes while dumb, and ricey as hell, are not doing anything to destroy turbos on decel. Careful what you believe people...."
Now that's interesting. When I had my turbo upgraded my turbo builder refused to touch the turbine because he said all the available options are Chinese made and he doesn't have confidence in them. So I've just got an upgraded compressor wheel.
Looks like he was onto something there...
This is N55 so not sure if it's the same blade you're referring to though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
boostE92d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

My 335is has been on MHD, with burble for years now. No smoking or oil usage, and I drive it like I stole it every day. Correlation does not always equal causation.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostE92d View Post
My 335is has been on MHD, with burble for years now. No smoking or oil usage, and I drive it like I stole it every day. Correlation does not always equal causation.
Years? It came out barely 1 year ago.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #22
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostE92d View Post
Years? It came out barely 1 year ago.