E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Which upgraded turbos are the best for AT?

09-27-2018, 01:25 AM   #1
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 335i

Which upgraded turbos are the best for AT?

As title states, I'm looking to get new turbos within the next year. I have an automatic transmission as well. I've been researching and found a few that I like. The options are the Pure Stage 2 twins, MMP Stage 3 twins, and the VTT Stage 1 twins. I am about to go FBO and eventually plan on upgrading to a Stage 2 LPFP and run e50/e85. All vacuum lines are redone along with a VRSF Chargepipe and TiAL BOV. All of the turbos have different power levels but I'm not sure what the best one would be in terms of longevity and performance, along with warranty. Any suggestions or personal experience with one of the above mentioned companies/products? I saw the GC and GC lites but haven't done much research on those.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

I have pure stage 2s and I just upgraded to a stage 2 lpfp running e50. I got it on a 18 psi tune right now and it's running decent but my auto transmission is not the most healthy tranny out here so it will definitely work out for u
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Pure or RB seem to be favoured around here. Obviously there is a limitation on what the auto can handle. I don't know what it is. Around 550-600 whp maybe? Unless u want more power, then people are putting in the 335d 28 auto box in that can handle more power than the 335i one ...and remap the gearbox with XHP.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #4
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320IN54 View Post
I have pure stage 2s and I just upgraded to a stage 2 lpfp running e50. I got it on a 18 psi tune right now and it's running decent but my auto transmission is not the most healthy tranny out here so it will definitely work out for u
The Pure Stage 2s and the MMP Stage 3s are the ones I'm really debating on. I've heard really good things about Pure as well. I'm just torn on pulling the trigger on one. How do you know if your tranny isn't healthy?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedanator View Post
Pure or RB seem to be favoured around here. Obviously there is a limitation on what the auto can handle. I don't know what it is. Around 550-600 whp maybe? Unless u want more power, then people are putting in the 335d 28 auto box in that can handle more power than the 335i one ...and remap the gearbox with XHP.
I've been told that it can safely handle up to 600whp, give or take depending on the condition of the transmission. I haven't really looked into RBs much.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edris335i View Post
As title states, I'm looking to get new turbos within the next year. I have an automatic transmission as well. I've been researching and found a few that I like. The options are the Pure Stage 2 twins, MMP Stage 3 twins, and the VTT Stage 1 twins. I am about to go FBO and eventually plan on upgrading to a Stage 2 LPFP and run e50/e85. All vacuum lines are redone along with a VRSF Chargepipe and TiAL BOV. All of the turbos have different power levels but I'm not sure what the best one would be in terms of longevity and performance, along with warranty. Any suggestions or personal experience with one of the above mentioned companies/products? I saw the GC and GC lites but haven't done much research on those.
Personally I would go with single turbo kit if you can afford it
I run a small 7670 and it is as responsive as the twins but more reliable
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #7
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:
Personally I would go with single turbo kit if you can afford it
I run a small 7670 and it is as responsive as the twins but more reliable
even though i'm an AT? i was looking into single turbos but wasn't sure how reliable it would be with an automatic
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
even though i'm an AT? i was looking into single turbos but wasn't sure how reliable it would be with an automatic
Is fine as long as you don't go super crazy ass on the power
Im running 19 psi producing 310 kw and zero issues
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:15 AM   #9
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Quote:
The Pure Stage 2s and the MMP Stage 3s are the ones I'm really debating on. I've heard really good things about Pure as well. I'm just torn on pulling the trigger on one. How do you know if your tranny isn't healthy?
U will notice if it's healthy or not when running big power and u start to feel it slipping in a particular gear. Or the XHP Flashtool app can read ur gearbox map and tell you how well the clutch plates are, they're like anything else, they start to wear out. Some people slip at 500whp and some don't slip til maybe 650whp +
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snedanator View Post
I've been told that it can safely handle up to 600whp, give or take depending on the condition of the transmission. I haven't really looked into RBs much.
Rob Beck was one of the original guys to make upgraded turbos for the N54. He has tons of stats regarding the reliability of his turbos. If you pay him with a cashiers check or money order, he may give you a deal. His products are worth a look. I think his turbos hold many records.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
RB or Pure. Period. Wouldn't touch MMP or VTT if you gave it to me at no cost. Just not worth my hassle for my install time.

You really want a single turbo fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
RB or Pure. Period. Wouldn't touch MMP or VTT if you gave it to me at no cost. Just not worth my hassle for my install time.

You really want a single turbo fwiw.
I honestly am really leaning towards Pure. Why do you not recommend MMP?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I honestly am really leaning towards Pure. Why do you not recommend MMP?
A number of reasons...mainly the 1000hp rated turbos seem to put out 650whp on full E85. No one has gotten close to what they claim. Given they build engines for people why they don't have a shop car putting out the numbers they claim is beyond me. I also would not trust their engines...just too new without a proven track record.

They also went the frankenturbo route, get off the forums which are easily searchable and make their own facebook group where it's basically impossible to search and they can delete whatever they want be it information they don't like. Vendor controlled facebook groups are just echo chambers.

It's kind of like reddit where they censor and control what they want people to see.

They also make dumb claims like no twins are going to be the best for 500whp and also the best for 1000whp like they say. There has to be lag.

Fully optioned out MMP1ks cost $4200 + shipping iirc you can buy a single turbo for that, have more headroom, easier install, easier to change turbos based on your goals, the list goes on. If you are getting anywhere close to the cost of a single turbo, just go single turbo. You will never regret it. You see tons of people selling their brand new or slightly used MMP turbos and upgrading to a single. Don't make that same mistake.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A number of reasons...mainly the 1000hp rated turbos seem to put out 650whp on full E85. No one has gotten close to what they claim. Given they build engines for people why they don't have a shop car putting out the numbers they claim is beyond me. I also would not trust their engines...just too new without a proven track record.

They also went the frankenturbo route, get off the forums which are easily searchable and make their own facebook group where it's basically impossible to search and they can delete whatever they want be it information they don't like. Vendor controlled facebook groups are just echo chambers.

It's kind of like reddit where they censor and control what they want people to see.

They also make dumb claims like no twins are going to be the best for 500whp and also the best for 1000whp like they say. There has to be lag.

Fully optioned out MMP1ks cost $4200 + shipping iirc you can buy a single turbo for that, have more headroom, easier install, easier to change turbos based on your goals, the list goes on. If you are getting anywhere close to the cost of a single turbo, just go single turbo. You will never regret it. You see tons of people selling their brand new or slightly used MMP turbos and upgrading to a single. Don't make that same mistake.
I would probably be paying about $4500 for the PS2's, install included, what would the price be for a single turbo? I haven't done much research on it because I didn't think I would be able to really handle it. I'm really open to getting a single turbo though.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #15
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
A single turbo will make the most power on pump gas etc. If sized correctly vs twins. More than the twins can make on e85 or race gas.

Iirc they start around 4500 for journal bearing 5200 for dual ball bearing. Install cost should be the same. If anything a single is easier to install imo but not by a huge amount and certainly not your 1st time.

I bought the ACF kit and Anthony was super responsive before during and after the install. Responding to texts on weekends and Sunday night. I had POS 034 motor mounts which made the engine sit low on the passenger side which caused a number of issues. I can make a formal introduction if you would like.

I looked into docrace but was not thrilled with their communication. They also have longer runners, no tear drop wastegates but those are honestly small issues.

You will do well with Pure or RB whatever upgrade you choose, it's going to be a different animal when you are done tuning it.

Speaking of which pick your tuner now. I've gone with motiv as they have the most experience, actually race a real race car, and continue to release products for this platform like the boostbox etc. They tuned my old e90 and are responsive as well as help with troubleshooting etc.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have specific questions or I can answer them here. I get nothing from a referral just trying to help similar enthusiasts with similar goals.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

I ran a PS2 turbo since my car had around 8000km. I am at around 30,000km. So far so good. When you go to stage 3, things like the water pump/thermostats may need to be moved around depending on your turbo choice. That is when things MAY become unreliable.
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
I ran a PS2 turbo since my car had around 8000km. I am at around 30,000km. So far so good. When you go to stage 3, things like the water pump/thermostats may need to be moved around depending on your turbo choice. That is when things MAY become unreliable.
What is stage 3? Honest question.

EDIT: To the OP's question a single turbo will be more gentle on an automatic vs. twin turbos unless you tune out the low end tq on the twins which is the only reason you want to go with twins imo. I really don't need to make rod bending engine killing tq and auto tranny killing power under say 3k. To each their own. Twins also maxed out around 600-700whp while a single will still be in it's efficiency range if sized appropriately for that power level.

Last edited by Torgus; 09-29-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #18
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
I think I narrowed my options on the PS2's, if I decide to stick with the twins.

Last edited by Edris335i; 09-29-2018 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #19
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A single turbo will make the most power on pump gas etc. If sized correctly vs twins. More than the twins can make on e85 or race gas.

Iirc they start around 4500 for journal bearing 5200 for dual ball bearing. Install cost should be the same. If anything a single is easier to install imo but not by a huge amount and certainly not your 1st time.

I bought the ACF kit and Anthony was super responsive before during and after the install. Responding to texts on weekends and Sunday night. I had POS 034 motor mounts which made the engine sit low on the passenger side which caused a number of issues. I can make a formal introduction if you would like.

I looked into docrace but was not thrilled with their communication. They also have longer runners, no tear drop wastegates but those are honestly small issues.

You will do well with Pure or RB whatever upgrade you choose, it's going to be a different animal when you are done tuning it.

Speaking of which pick your tuner now. I've gone with motiv as they have the most experience, actually race a real race car, and continue to release products for this platform like the boostbox etc. They tuned my old e90 and are responsive as well as help with troubleshooting etc.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have specific questions or I can answer them here. I get nothing from a referral just trying to help similar enthusiasts with similar goals.
Yeah really appreciate the help man. I'll look more into ST as well. Any other kits I should look at besides the ACF one? Also, would I need to purchase anything else besides the ST kit and/or replace any parts I currently have on the car? If I went ST, would my car actually be able to handle the power as well? I regret not getting a stick, but I'm in too deep to already sell my 335 and get another one.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #20
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To each their own. Twins also maxed out around 600-700whp while a single will still be in it's efficiency range if sized appropriately for that power level.
I dont think the AT can safely handle past 600whp though and the car is my DD as well. I'd probably aim for the 550-600whp range.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #21
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah really appreciate the help man. I'll look more into single turbo as well. Any other kits I should look at besides the ACF one? Also, would I need to purchase anything else besides the single turbo kit and/or replace any parts I currently have on the car? Thank you again
ACF or DOCRACE are the only ones I would consider given their track record. Both offer similar products. ACF was easier for me to work with. I also wanted the T51R mod done which they took care of for me.

The kits comes with basically everything you need. I did my water pump & thermostat at the same time while I was in there as they were never replaced and seem to shit the bed around ~100k. Then again my buddy has 140k and never replaced his.

Only thing I can think of is the stock 02s don't do well in a single turbo(wear out fast) so I bought the ADV sensors from Motiv. I also went with the motiv boostbox as I prefer to be flash only vs. JB4. Nothing wrong with JB4, I just like flash only and my aquamist meth controller takes up enough space in my DME compartment. So those will add some cost.

Depending on how long it takes you to save up another grand or $1,500 I would vote go single. It's almost winter. if you can get by with what you have until spring months it would be worth it imo. In MA my car is useless after October because of the temperature, that may be different for you depending on where in CA you live. 5k+ is a lot to invest in any vehicle. Take your time and make the decision that fits your goals and your budget correctly.

As to the AT yes 550-600whp seems to be the safest for it. Both you can accomplish on pump 93 with a single, on twins you will be around 500whp give or take on pump 93. No one seems to be able to make what the vendor(s) claim on 93 on twins aka 570whp on 93.

Edit: and when I mean no one. I mean no one on twins have hit 570whp on pump 93 that I am aware of except the vendors, no customer has come close that number that I am aware of. Like on most platforms the vendors produce whp numbers no one else hits. All twins are right around 500whp where as a single 6266 can hit almost 600whp on 93 pump. It all comes down to efficiency ranges and how hard you want to push your setup.

Last edited by Torgus; 09-29-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Pure Stage 2
Appreciate 0