E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Window / Key transmitter issue

10-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
jvle95
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Window / Key transmitter issue

Car:
2011 BMW 328i non CA car

Problem:
With one of my key fob's everything works perfect. Doors lock and unlock, if you hold the unlock button the windows/sun roof open. Gas door and trunk functions work as they should. With the other key fob if you tap once (not hold) the unlock button the door unlocks and after about 2 or 3 seconds all the windows open up. I believe I have used the key enough to charge it but not completely sure the battery in the key is 100%.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Assume you have tried this, but have you put in the ideal key started and shut off; then reinserted the "oddly functioning" key?

Sometimes things have to sync. But there is personalized data stored on each fob: ie. like seat position and I believe some lighting options. So not a far reach to say that key had different preferences on it for the windows (but admittedly, that is a stretch in this case).

Maybe just a button whose actuator switch just gets stuck? Rebound on a switch could still go up if it's mechanical and the circuit was still complete.

Random ideas....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
jvle95
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Thanks for the reply Bluewater.

I had tried variations of what you mentioned and nothing had seemed to work.

One thing I forgot to mention was the key that was acting up was the backup key so I figured it had discharged over time. I had tried driving with that key but probably not enough to get a good charge. Anyway I put the key on an Apple Watch charger to see if that would help. So last night I tried the key again and now it would at least unlock and lock the doors but the windows still kept going down.

Next I tried reprogramming the key function using the settings on the dash. I am new to BMW so I dont know the names of all the systems. Anyway, the key was configured that when I pressed the unlock button once the driver door would open and then press it again and the other doors would open. I changed that setting so that one press of the unlock would open all doors. After doing this everything seems to be back to normal, no window opening problems. Since I thought I had it fixed I decided to change the setting back to how I had it where it took two presses of the unlock to open all the doors and the problem seems to have remedied itself. As of last night the key is working as it should. I will check again tonight. I am hoping the Gremlin has been worked out.
Appreciate 0