E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Heated Seat Retrofit

02-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #221
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
Thanks. I actually have powered lumbar and memory on my current seats so the only difference would be the heating. If I get the heat buttons for my HVAC can I just run a wire through the center console to the seats?
you will need either to disable active headrests(LCI seats feature) in airbag module
or try to rebuile pre-lci headrests with part from lci headrests
all other functions will work on driver seat
passenger seat will require heating bus wires between module in seat and JBE

Last edited by ptpending; 02-20-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #222
Ferrari M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Swap from Base Memory to Heated Sport Seats with Memory

So I finally found a set of local heated sport seats to replace my old base seats. From reading this and several other searched threads I was expecting the swap to result in all functions working for the driver seat and coding required to get the heat working for the passenger side. What i have instead is basic controls, heat and memory working for the driver side - but no lumbar support or "extra" sport set functions. The passenger side has no heat yet (not coded) and I had to switch positions of the pins 9 and 13 power leads in the seat connector to get it working (no function at all until I swapped these) - but it has ALL sport seat functions now. I am surprised at this outcome. Does anyone know why the driver side didn't seem to require any pin swaps but I do not have full sport seat functions?

Started with:
pre-LCI base model e90 seats (no heat but did have memory)

Swapped in 2006 (I am told) 330i sport seats with heat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #223
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

I don't have an answer for you but I just purchased sport seats to swap my non-sport seats so I may be in a similar boat. I haven't had a chance to look at the connectors yet, but here is my setup...

Current:
LCI
non-sport
power
lumbar
memory
no heat

Swap:
Pre-LCI
sport
power
lumbar
memory
heat

I'm not sure you would need coding for heat. I was told I would just need to purchase heat controls for the center console and run wires to the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #224
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just attempted to install pre-LCI sport seats in to replace my LCI non-sport seats. When I plug in the pre-LCI seats, nothing works. Only difference between the connects as far as I can tell I see that my old seats (LCI non-sport) have a smaller white connector in addition to the larger yellow connector. The new seats (pre-LCI sport) do not have this.

Is that other connector critical? If so is there some way to hot-wire it onto the new seats?

Any insights would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #225
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

if your pre-lci seats is from pre 2007/03 car the pinout in seat connector is bit different
check that wires from two sides of the connection are in same positions
      03-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #226
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I was able to get power to both seats. Passenger seat I just had to swap pins 4 and 9 on the seat wiring connector. Driver seat it appears that both pins 4 and 9 need power ? one is for memory and basic seat controls, the other is for lumbar and side bolsters.

I currently have the memory and main seat adjustments working for the driver side and will need to splice power to the other pin for the lumber and side bolsters.

Only issue now is I have an airbag and seatbelt light. I'm guessing the airbag light is due to the lack of active headrest in pre-LCI seats. Anyone know how I can fix the seatbelt light though? Pins seem to be identical for the seatbelt connector...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #227
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
So I was able to get power to both seats. Passenger seat I just had to swap pins 4 and 9 on the seat wiring connector. Driver seat it appears that both pins 4 and 9 need power ? one is for memory and basic seat controls, the other is for lumbar and side bolsters.

I currently have the memory and main seat adjustments working for the driver side and will need to splice power to the other pin for the lumber and side bolsters.

Only issue now is I have an airbag and seatbelt light. I'm guessing the airbag light is due to the lack of active headrest in pre-LCI seats. Anyone know how I can fix the seatbelt light though? Pins seem to be identical for the seatbelt connector...
If you unplugged the seats while the battery was connected, you'll get this error, needs to be coded out.

If you did disconnect battery during installation, then I don't know. Didn't read all the previous posts but thought this could be helpful.
      04-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #228
jkastri
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3 1998

Hi guys I'm totally new. Im still trying to figure out how to post and reply to people... I have a question related to this topic and hoping any of you can help me out... I have an old z3 with power seats but not heated and I got a really good deal on a set of e90 seats fully equipped... I'm trying to retrofit them on my z3 and I have everything working except the heated elements... I was wondering I can overpass the modules and wire the heated elements directly using buttons to regulate the heat capacity... hey it's great to be able to be a part of a bmw group... thanks in advance guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #229
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkastri View Post
Hi guys I'm totally new. Im still trying to figure out how to post and reply to people... I have a question related to this topic and hoping any of you can help me out... I have an old z3 with power seats but not heated and I got a really good deal on a set of e90 seats fully equipped... I'm trying to retrofit them on my z3 and I have everything working except the heated elements... I was wondering I can overpass the modules and wire the heated elements directly using buttons to regulate the heat capacity... hey it's great to be able to be a part of a bmw group... thanks in advance guys!!!
The modules regulate the heat through advice from the buttons. Have you got the modules fitted and coded the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #230
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkastri View Post
yes, you can try to connect heating modules directly to e36 heating buttons because in older cars it was done so
but you'll lose seat adjustment in e36 because seats from e90 allow to adjust only for 20-30 seconds if the car bus is not available
another option is to reconfigure e90 seats to half-electric, these one are working without car bus
      04-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #231
jkastri
Registered
Rep

Hey thanks for the response... the seat I got came with everything, I didn't know I had to code the module for my car... how can I code them? And also my car does t have all the modern stuff that cars have now so that's why I was trying to figure out if I could just find the wires and send power through a button for the heat seats I got for my car
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #232
jkastri
Registered
Rep

So my question is if I have to code them? And I if don't where can I cons the wires? Or what color wires are the ines ft the heating elements... I understand that I'm gonna lose some heating adjustments. Te buttons for the e90 have 3 different heat modes and the e36 buttons only have 2 modes high and low. I got the buttons for the e36 and I figured out the wires for them and there's is 2 buttons that send power to the heat elements, one wire which is the high sends 12v all the time and the other wire which is the low sends a pulse of 12v every 10 seconds or so... so what I was trying to find its to connect directly to the high and low and lose the medium mode
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #233
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
The E90 uses different logic, so it's hard to say if what you're doing will work.
The E90 coding refers to so programming to tell the car that it now had seat healing installed (when it is installed as per the guides of course - if not, it won't work correctly).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #234
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Did my retrofit over the week end.

Current:
LCI oyster white
sport
power
memory
no heat

Swap:
M3 black leather (in door cards)
Pre-LCI
sport
power
lumbar
memory
heat

Replaced the heater contol module (for one with heater buttons).

Coded car for heated seats.

Coded out the active headrest.

All fitted and working. Pretty much plug and play, no extra wires, no fuse box wiring, just disconnect the active headrest and recode, then clear faults.

I didn't even disconnect the battery.

Very pleased.

P.S Also fitted the m5 illuminated gear shift and wired that in to the lighter circuit.

Last edited by ccfj1; 12-17-2020 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #235
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
I'll add my 10p to this thread. I retrofitted heated leather to my car a while ago, and finally got around to wiring it up. All straightforward, I made up the looms myself with BMW connectors, and coded it in.
The one thing worth mentioning is that when it was all installed, I added $494 to the VO, but the heated part was dead - the switches did nothing.
After much head scratching, I read that you need to activate the heated seats elsewhere, namely in the JBBF module. So using NCS expert I read that module, set Sitzheizung to aktiv, and now I have heated seats! Very happy indeed!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #236
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Very good information!! Thanks for your success story!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #237
hockeydude35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW/Terra 330i

Hi folks. A tangentially related question...does anyone know if this part https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...116973943~geb/ will work as a replacement to the e90 330i (2006) heated seat element (my drivers side is apparently shorting and BMW is saying they need to replace the entire cushion/cover)? ECS's site claims that it's incompatible with the 330...but that seems hard to believe when it seems to say it WILL work on an e90 328xi (which would be just a year later than my car). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #238
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude35 View Post
Hi folks. A tangentially related question...does anyone know if this part https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...116973943~geb/ will work as a replacement to the e90 330i (2006) heated seat element (my drivers side is apparently shorting and BMW is saying they need to replace the entire cushion/cover)? ECS's site claims that it's incompatible with the 330...but that seems hard to believe when it seems to say it WILL work on an e90 328xi (which would be just a year later than my car). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
this will fit but it is sewed to seat cover and it is quite hard to replace it if you do not have car customizing shop near you or have much time
much easier is buy seat cover with heating mat from ebay or junkyard
      10-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #239
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Hey guys, I have an 07/2007 build E90 sedan 335i that I want to retrofit heated seats into.

My car came factory with sport, electric, memory, and lumbar seats.

I have installed LCI interior into my car and the front seats are heated. They are also sport, electric, memory, and lumbar.

To get the heated seat working on the driver side it is my understanding that I can just buy the OEM buttons and it will work correct?

For the passenger side I will need to run wires for the heated seats to work correct? Can anyone tell me what wires I need to run and where? I already have the heated seat button panel as I am also doing an iDrive retrofit
      10-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #240
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
Hey guys, I have an 07/2007 build E90 sedan 335i that I want to retrofit heated seats into.

My car came factory with sport, electric, memory, and lumbar seats.

I have installed LCI interior into my car and the front seats are heated. They are also sport, electric, memory, and lumbar.

To get the heated seat working on the driver side it is my understanding that I can just buy the OEM buttons and it will work correct?

For the passenger side I will need to run wires for the heated seats to work correct? Can anyone tell me what wires I need to run and where? I already have the heated seat button panel as I am also doing an iDrive
retrofit
Make sure thate the power leads line up in the yellow plug.

Just code the car (VO) to have the heated seat option.

Default the heater control module, jbr and cic, so they know that it now has heated seats.

Install the button panel.

Thats it.

Last edited by ccfj1; 12-17-2020 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #241
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Make sure thate the power leads libe up in the yellow plug.

Just code the car (VO) to have the heated seat option.

Default the heater control module and so it knows that it now has heated seats.

Install the button panel.

Thats it.

What do you mean by default the heater control module?
      10-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #242
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

The havc is what controls the heater buttons. So it need to know that the car now has heated seats.
Appreciate 0