E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 cold start high RPM with no acceleration

04-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
TednC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i N51 auto

N51 cold start high RPM with no acceleration

Dear forum members,

I've had my E90 for one year and I really love my car. However, recently my car had an engine related issue that I would like to ask you guys for help.

My car is an auto and usually shifts at around 2k rpm. However, sometimes after cold start and instantly drive off, the tranny did not shift to the 2nd gear and the RPM was already hitting 3k, and the car had very little acceleration. Note that I did not mash the gas hard I just gently push it as usual. This situation happens occasionally during the cold start drive off (4 times during the last month). The above situation does not happen when engine is warm.

I did search the forum but did not find any similar problems. I'm wondering what might be the cause for this problem? Should I clean the MAF sensor and VANOS solenoid first and to see whether this still happen?

Some basic info of my car:
Mileage: 48k
Service done:
valve cover gasket (including ESS gasket); OFHG; recent oil change

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Sounds more like a transmission issue rather then engine. I am thinking perhaps you need new transmission fluid but mileage suggest against this. I would start by cleaning MAF sensor, cleaning intake and also check for codes. Perhaps change spark plugs as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
TednC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i N51 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
Sounds more like a transmission issue rather then engine. I am thinking perhaps you need new transmission fluid but mileage suggest against this. I would start by cleaning MAF sensor, cleaning intake and also check for codes. Perhaps change spark plugs as well.
Thank you! I recently replaced the air filter. I will clean the MAF sensor and check for codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednC View Post
Thank you! I recently replaced the air filter. I will clean the MAF sensor and check for codes.
if you have no codes, most likely there are no issues with the vehicle. honestly what you are saying sounds more or less normal for a cold start.

are the shift points fine when the engine is warm? I would try a transmission adaptation reset and possibly fluid change although thats not needed until 100k
Appreciate 0