E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Require urgent help on my daily 328i !!

06-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #1
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Require urgent help on my daily 328i !!

Hello everyone.
I’m in a bit if trouble here. Would really appreciate some help.

June 5th
I was normally driving my e90 328i that I bought from someone over a month ago. It was running fantastic, no codes whatsoever, until this event happened.

1st the check engine light turned up out of nowhere. Still was driving normal. I was on my way home to see via OBD sensor what fault it is.

2nd it showed me an ABS warning and 2 more yellow lights in the gauge went on. Now I witnessed loss of power and weird shakiness from the engine at a stop light.

3rd everything electronic shut off in my car, lights, music system and the Small gauge screens and everything else started flickering. No response from the throttle. Nothing at all. I was at 40kms and then it started to decline. By god’s grace I was lucky to pull over to the side of the road and the engine died along with all electronics.
I called my brother and he came with jumper cables. We tried cranking the car but nothing. Just a small crank and then everything flickered and went off.
We waited for a while with jumpers attached, then we tried to start it.
This time it did but was getting stuck in between 1500-3000 rpm. Like just going back and forth even in full throttle. When we idled it, it was running but during all this, it was smelling like something burnt. Weird smells were coming around from the car. And the gauge screen was throwing weird errors like abs, engine temp and what not, even “foot on the brake pedal” light, a car with 2 arrows above it. Idk what not.

Since the car idled, I dropped it in Drive and carefully drove it home, it started limping but my house was just 10 mins away.
Parked it in my garage and it sat for about 10 mins with engine off.

I cranked and it started in 1st go. No problem. I accelerated it on P and the engine behaved normally except all the lights in my interior went off when I went above 4000 rpm. I literally jammed it till the rev limiter. Nothing except flickering. Was idling normal and had the check engine light on.

Now I ran the OBD sensor and the fault came up P0015- “B” Camshaft position- Timing Over- Retarded (Bank1) and other 3 faults (Ref pic 1)
Happened to check my engine oil and the digital meter shows a little less than max (forgot to take a pic of it)
I happened to check the coolant but I don’t see the red dipstick but my car did not show any warning in the gauge screen until today which someone told me is broken. (Ref pic 2)

Pic 3 is of the engine with the engine oil cap taken out. I don’t know if it needs an oil change as the meter says close to full.

June 6th
I tried opening my car via key fob but nothing. It was dead. No sign of electricity. I used the key in the key fob to open up the boot then the alarm went off and even it started to decline in tone.
I saw a video on youtube and took out my battery, I went to check the voltage and it was at 4% (ref pic 4)
I then called lordco and got a new battery from them and simply replaced as the guy said it had OEM voltage. I DID NOT REGISTER IT AS OF TODAY pic 5 for old one and pic 6 for new one

Lights turned on. Turned it on and the engine light and all random errors started popping up. ref to pics 7
accelerated till the redline once and then tried idling it. i felt like the car wanted to shut down because of some reason
AS SOON AS I ACCELERATED HARD, ALL THE LIGHTS IN THE CAR WENT OFF. EVERY INTERIOR LIGHT.
A weird smell also came up from the exhaust like burnt oil or something weird fuel related.

I plugged my OBD again and this time I HAD MORE ERRORS!
Ref pic 8
I turned the car off and just sat besides it thinking what to do.
I happened to check the alternator and ref pic 9 it looks weird.

As of today, I think I'll have to get a new alternator cause I saw a video of someone with the similar issue but he did not have those bank errors. Just my electric ones.
I'm screwed big time and have never wrenched either being a student and thus require your expert knowledge and help!
PLEASE HELP! :'( tHANK YOU!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:38 AM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Before getting a new Alternator, check all your ground connections. Check the ground cable back at the battery, the engine ground strap above the exhaust manifold, and there's another big engine ground stap behind the driver's side engine mount accessible from underneath the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 01:41 AM   #3
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
The black negative at the battery has been secured. I'll check the other ones.
Weird thing is that white discharge all over the place from that alternator. Plus some green build up as well. I guess it isn't clear in the picture.
Appreciate 0