E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Another one! Off to the Darkside....A7 vs 530D

11-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #67
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Hi Paul,

Good read on your car buying decisions, I don't believe I have seen one on the road and I will keep an eye out for one. The side profile has a bit of Porsche Panemera in my eyes from the pics you have posted of the one with 19" rims in grey.

It's nice to have a change and I guess the fuel costs on an M3 get a bit painful on a day to day basis. I wonder if your car may come in a bit early as VW group give long lead times and sometimes they come in quicker. When we ordered our Yeti I was quoted 5 months from a few dealers, when we ordered it came in about 10 weeks but other Yeti's ordered at the same time took 5 months for the dealer to get them in.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it.
      11-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #68
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Did you try out an E class Paul?
Not this time, but drove the whole Merc range a few months ago at a Merc corporate day Donington. I am starting to like the look of the latest models as I have never really been a fan in the past. I like the coupe's but not the saloons so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #69
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Popped to the dealer on Friday, spec of mine now finalised....
l
How about the sunroof? How about the radar cruise control?

How about the sea of beige inside?!?!?
A sunroof would have been an option to consider had it been a decent panoramic one, instead of the crappy 1990's offering that you can buy.

Radar cruise would be useless on the type of journeys I do and besides you have to follow someone for that to work

Black only on an S-line I am afraid and the SE seats were very unsupportive so were not an option!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #70
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Very nice looking car but .... that dash looks far too busy for my liking. Whats with the date right in the middle of the display and why 2 speedos - one digital and one analogue?

I supposed I'm used to my "simple" 3 series dash
You can scroll through a whole host of different displays in the centre option (DIS), for instance it shows the nav commands if being used, and telephone info if making a call, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #71
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Hi Paul,

Good read on your car buying decisions, I don't believe I have seen one on the road and I will keep an eye out for one. The side profile has a bit of Porsche Panemera in my eyes from the pics you have posted of the one with 19" rims in grey.

It's nice to have a change and I guess the fuel costs on an M3 get a bit painful on a day to day basis. I wonder if your car may come in a bit early as VW group give long lead times and sometimes they come in quicker. When we ordered our Yeti I was quoted 5 months from a few dealers, when we ordered it came in about 10 weeks but other Yeti's ordered at the same time took 5 months for the dealer to get them in.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it.
Yes, I can see the Panamera in the side view. They are pretty rare on the road, that made it more attractive to me and put me off the 5 series a little (there are tons of em about!!).

The M3 is doing £100 per week on fuel (on a bad week) which is getting silly, this car will more than halve that!

As for delivery, kinda hoping it's not too early as I can't get rid of the M3 until the last payment comes out so the thought of it sitting there waiting will be a killer ha ha

Looking forward to writing a review on it
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #72
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
You can scroll through a whole host of different displays in the centre option (DIS), for instance it shows the nav commands if being used, and telephone info if making a call, etc
Yes, I can see that is a useful function - but I dont think there is a need to repeat the speedo reading! Just seems a but odd. But you'll probably have a different display up anyway so its not really an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #73
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 (C7) S Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes, I can see that is a useful function - but I dont think there is a need to repeat the speedo reading! Just seems a but odd. But you'll probably have a different display up anyway so its not really an issue.
It does have a mass of functions, mine is normally either on the media setting or phone but I was having a play and tried out the digital speedo. you can even have a compass, economy information for which gear or just one of the trip computers.

Or it can be off obviously

I'm loving the MMI touch and Wifi hotspot functions though. I just have to get used to writing with my left hand as I'm not the best at it at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #74
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaky View Post
I just have to get used to writing with my left hand as I'm not the best at it at the moment!
I never thought of that!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #75
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I got my passenger to take this today to show another view - it is quite similar to that in the F10 but just takes up a lot more of the space in between the dials. I'd think the F30 will have something similar - BMW call it black panel display i think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #76
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Have to be honest I think the A7 is a very ugly car from the rear, looks a bit like a rover sd.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic drive but I can't get past the rear of the car and the pop up nav, it's a but "chav boy Alpine ice".

Enjoy your remaining time in the M. I'm sure it will be sorely missed (except the fuel bills!)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #77
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
It does have a mass of functions, mine is normally either on the media setting or phone but I was having a play and tried out the digital speedo. you can even have a compass, economy information for which gear or just one of the trip computers.

Or it can be off obviously

I'm loving the MMI touch and Wifi hotspot functions though. I just have to get used to writing with my left hand as I'm not the best at it at the moment!

Can you see if you can set your digital speedo to kilometres per hour?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #78
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you see if you can set your digital speedo to kilometres per hour?
Yep - you certainly can. it is set in the MMI set up screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #79
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Yep - you certainly can. it is set in the MMI set up screen.
Excellent.... almost enough of a reason to buy one! Thanks for posting that pic.

Now I'm wondering if you get the full black panel display on the BMW 5-series if the whole instrument cluster is an LCD and you can switch the speedo units between mph and km/h.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #80
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Excellent.... almost enough of a reason to buy one! Thanks for posting that pic.

Now I'm wondering if you get the full black panel display on the BMW 5-series if the whole instrument cluster is an LCD and you can switch the speedo units between mph and km/h.
Someone here has a 5 GT and i think they are full black panel - if he's in I'll have a try for you.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0