E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb AP not what I expected.....Comments?

03-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92OCD View Post
I'm glad somebody else out there also feels that 14 psi on 1/3 throttle might be a bit excessive................. is the answer I'm looking for to get it PROtuned?
uuuhhh, that's a tricky question - not sure why the Cobb is going for 14 psi at 1/3 in the first place, BUT, you may want to contact Cobb to see if you can swap it out for another one because it's definitely NOT common.

if they agree to send you another one and the problem persists, you "may" look at getting PROTuned because that may be the only way to get away from that annoyance.

like i said, i have yet to hear of anybody having this problem - i did, but it's because the tuner put it there.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

p.s.
i do not have a Cobb AP on my 335 - my Cobb experiences are from the STi i used to have.

and 14 psi at 1/3 throttle in an AWD car is insanely annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
Graystone
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sport euro 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Sounds like some tuning related complaints piggys use to have years ago. Now of course cured and even can be set by the end user of where full boost comes on in relation to the pedal position. IMHO Linear>burst. Maybe something COBB can work on, shoot them an email.
I dont also think many users here are comprehending exactly what you are talking about.
Exactly what i was going to say.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
I already said it can be tuned out...
I've just been trying to establish if this is normal behaviour for the Cobb AP out of the box, or if I am having abnormal results.
My expectations based on my research was a power curve similar to stock with boost coming on earlier and peaking higher. My mistake was not looking at power curves in relation to throttle positioning. This is by no means intended to point fingers at Cobb or to criticize. As I mentioned in my initial post the Cobb AP is a nice piece of equipment and the stock maps provided by Cobb could not possibly appeal to every end user. I was just surprised that none of the other members had mentioned this "front end loaded throttle" in any of the reviews.
Does anyone know of a tuner near Toronto Canada?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

i doubt there's a Cobb facility near Toronto to PROTune your car, BUT, there should be licensed Cobb PROTuners in your ar4ea.

PM someone at Cobb and ask them.

what mods do you have ?? if you are running dp's and FMIC then getting a PROTune would be extremely beneficial.

getting PROTuned with just a intake to tune out the boost sensitivity would be a shame......
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

I agree with the responses to try the 2.0 maps. At least before you plunk out the dough. I happen to like the improved response. Similar to the "lagfix" maps on other platforms.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Quote:
I'm glad somebody else out there also feels that 14 psi on 1/3 throttle might be a bit excessive................. is the answer I'm looking for to get it PROtuned?
Reset ecu in the cobb menu and see if the issue remains. you can mail me a log with the problem so i can see if your TPS is infact 1/3 or its just in your mind . Do this - run a quick log that shows rpm, load, boost, commanded throttle and actual throttle and post it. I can almost guarantee that you are opening more throttle than you think you are. You already have the tools, use them.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #30
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Whatever you decide to do, I would strongly suggest against following Mikes "advice" lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #31
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
Reset ecu in the cobb menu and see if the issue remains. you can mail me a log with the problem so i can see if your TPS is infact 1/3 or its just in your mind . Do this - run a quick log that shows rpm, load, boost, commanded throttle and actual throttle and post it. I can almost guarantee that you are opening more throttle than you think you are. You already have the tools, use them.

Harry
I'll give this a try and report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Whatever you decide to do, I would strongly suggest against following Mikes "advice" lol
LOL.. Do you ever stop...

READ what I said..

Quote:
Why not try another tune and compare. Its really the only way to go about things.
The only reason I mentioned the JB4 is that I am local to him. If he wants to try something else like the PROcede then thats fine to. I don't get why you have to turn everything into a tuner bash.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #33
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
I received my AP 2 days ago, and was pleased with the build quality of the product. Installation went smooth took about 20 minutes to instal map 1 91 octane. (exactly as advertised). Started up the car, got an error code (unrecognized software) used the AP to clear the code, no problems. Car is actually idling smoother than before. Pull out of the parking garage, feels about the same as stock. I drive around for a bit to let the oil temp come up and head on to the highway to see what my butt dyno thinks. First impression is great! definately pulls hard, very smooth no hiccups. 150 kph comes in a hurry. After a few WOT runs in 3rd 4th and 5th I'm impressed with the extra power. The tires actually spun in 3rd!
So here's my issue............. after I settle down a bit and start to really get a feel for the drivability I'm noticing that even at 1/3 throttle the car is pulling like a freight train. I plugged the AP into the port to get some live read outs and see that even at 1/3 throttle the boost is shooting up to 14.4. and when I back off the throttle a bit the boost drops with a noticeable lurch. Increased throttle response is nice, but this seems excessive. The extra power is great, but if I can't modulate that power, whats the point? I track my car quite a bit (which was my main reason for the tune) but I'm concerned about the overall driveability. I don't want to be in a high speed corner and spin out when the boost kicks in because my toe twitched.
I've read that some people feel the tune gets better as it adapts to your driving, is this true? Has anyone else had similar issues? or am I just crazy? Do other tunes have a similar throttle response? Are my expectations too high? I sent Cobb tech an email with no response so far.
To answer OP's question, I had the same issue with my AP. I posted about it here, and also email Cobb support directly.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495341

Though I never got an answer back from Cobb, even after emailing twice (nice, I just spent $900 and you cant reply to my emails?), I've just reverted back to 2.00 map. There's definitely an unpleasant difference in the 2.01 map, I think it may be a mistake as Cobb has advertised the 2.01 maps as only fixing AT issues.

To summarize: use 2.00 map if it bothers you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
LOL.. Do you ever stop...

READ what I said..

The only reason I mentioned the JB4 is that I am local to him. If he wants to try something else like the PROcede then thats fine to. I don't get why you have to turn everything into a tuner bash.

Mike
I did not mention any tunes. Mentioning tunes LIKE U DO is the def of a tuners war.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #35
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

I guess that you can spin it that you get a free Sprint Booster with every AP.

Some manufacturers dial up throttle response in their cars so that upon first test drive, people get a false positive impression of a fast car. Maybe that's what COBB is aiming for here? Throttle response is an important part of a butt dyno equation.

I hope that this gets sorted out with the upcoming Stage I updates and Stage II release. It took me a couple of days to adjust to my car's already sensitive braking and CDV. I'm sure it would take me the same amount of time to readjust to COBB if no changes are made.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #36
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I own a Cobb tune, use v2.01, have 6mt and notice none of these problems

and to the guy that complained about cobbs email response, call them on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #37
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

I doubt half throttle is full boost.

Datalog different throttle positions?
      03-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #38
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I would have to say the very first Cobb maps felt more linear compare to the v201 revision imo. I think the monster low end grunt with the cobb tune could exaggerate the over sensitive throttle feeling.

Either way I still love my Cobb tune!

Alan
      03-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #39
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I would have to say the very first Cobb maps felt more linear compare to the v201 revision imo. I think the monster low end grunt with the cobb tune could exaggerate the over sensitive throttle feeling.

Either way I still love my Cobb tune!

Alan
no - i thin it's a different feeling.

going part throttle (around 20-30%, the boost spikes up to @ 12-14psi with no control.

if i'm going 20-30% throttle, i don't wanna see more than 4 or 5 psi - that's enough to pick up considerable amount of speed at any RPM.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #40
silvermist99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT & X5D 6AT

Garage List
2007 BMW 323I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
I've just been trying to establish if this is normal behaviour for the Cobb AP out of the box, or if I am having abnormal results.
My expectations based on my research was a power curve similar to stock with boost coming on earlier and peaking higher. My mistake was not looking at power curves in relation to throttle positioning. This is by no means intended to point fingers at Cobb or to criticize. As I mentioned in my initial post the Cobb AP is a nice piece of equipment and the stock maps provided by Cobb could not possibly appeal to every end user. I was just surprised that none of the other members had mentioned this "front end loaded throttle" in any of the reviews.
Does anyone know of a tuner near Toronto Canada?
google advanced powerhouse APH. They tune cobb stuff for subarus and just recently started on Mazdas, they may be able to help
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #41
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep

I have a AT and only used the new maps so i have no frame of reference. I can understand why it would be an issue on a 6 sp but in the end it can be all tuned out so i see no reason to change the tuning tool aka Cobb.

Cobb tuning for this car is still in its infancy, more tunes with better refinement will be out soon. Its fun making incremental changes. Hold on and good things will come your way

Harry

Last edited by ZTUNER; 03-19-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #42
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a log i did on my car - try the same on yours to see what you get. I was in DS mode 5th gear. as you can see under 2 psi boost rolling into throttle keeping tps at or around 20 % . This is almost exactly what you get stock. This is on a AT so your results might differ but what you see here is what you need to log FYI

Harry
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #43
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
To the OP, I actually understand what you are talking about.
I'm the same as you because I have to drive my family around.
Some people around here think that more power outweighs drivability but I'm not one of those.
There's nothing more frustrating than getting on the throttle just a little bit and having the throttle blade go 80% WOT.
Hopefully it will get better with time.
If not then look for something else.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #44
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
i see this intermittently on mine. not sure if it has to do with whether the car is fully warmed up or not I have yet to really pinpoint when and where it happens on my car. I know exactly what you're talking about though. i spent the last 3 weeks with the cobb driving by myself or taking friends for a quick ride and had this happen maybe once. I had family in town this weekend and had a hard time on 20-30% throttle. It was funny for a little while watching their heads throw forward between shifts but it got old after I was really trying to drive smooth. At 10-20% throttle the car feels stock at 30% and above it feels like wide open throttle and hits 7-8 psi pretty damn fast. This doesnt happen all the time to meet but definitely feels very touchy when it happens.

im gonna go take a quick ride and try to get some logs to compare.

e92OCD are you in a manual or auto?