E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Windshield wipers always ON! DSC, JBBE Errors

05-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
luxe91
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91

Windshield wipers always ON! DSC, JBBE Errors

Hi Everyone. I'm a new member.

After reading a lot of forum posts and searching I need to ask for help from the experts here.

The car is a 2006 320d Touring (build 12/2006), European model.

In a nutshell the current problem with my car is that the windshield wipers cannot be controlled (always on!!!), the turn signals do not cancel automatically, the Traction Control and Brake lights are lit up on the dash (yellow) and I get a tire pressure warning. I think the issue really is the JBE (junction box electronics) which is not a common culprit.

I was able to drive the car on a limited basis with the wiper relay pulled, but now the car is effectively out of use.

Slowly the problem has evolved as follows over the past year:

- Tire Pressure warning light coming on and off (started after swapping between winter and summer wheels, OEM sizes)
- DSC light coming on and off (was able to reset with INPA and went away for a while)
- DSC light becoming sensitive to (car cabin-assumed) temperature (dash lights off when car was parked outside in the cold, then came back on after few minutes of driving)
- Wipers would start running by themselves, no control over them. Initailly problem went away by cycling the ignition a couple times. (After that I had to start pulling out the relay to maintain my sanity)
- NOW: wipers are always on, DSC light always on, brake light yellow always, turn signals don't cancel.

These are the current codes being returned. Particularly interesting are the codes for DSC and JBE/JBBF.

DSC:

D373 D373 - F-CAN SWA-Top-Sensor data 200 or 201 is missing
5E3F 5E3F - F-CAN SZL coding error.
5E51 5E51 - F-CAN SZL serial number invalid.
D34B D34B - F-CAN-Bus Off.
D370 D370 - F-CAN Sensorcluster_1 data 205 is missing
D371 D371 - F-CAN Sensorcluster_2 data 209 is missing
D372 D372 - F-CAN Sensorcluster_3 data 212 is missing
9520 9520 - steering wheel MFL: mechanical faulty, contact.

JBBF:

A6CA WISCHER_STUFE_1_RELAIS
C918 PT_CAN_ID2A6_BEDIENUNG_WISCHER_TIMEOUT
C918 PT_CAN_ID2A6_BEDIENUNG_WISCHER_TIMEOUT
A6E4 SENSOR_TANK_LINKS
A6E5 SENSOR_TANK_RECHTS
A6D1 ZUSATZWASSERPUMPE

I know a lot of the above can tie back to the usual DSC/SZL/tri-fecta of lights issues these car have, however I don't think the codes are exactly tying back to the common items such as:

1) Wheel sensors - Mine are all reading correctly and report the same rotation speed via INPA. I have inspected and cleaned all 4. A couple had some minor scraping on the surface. Did not inspect ABS rings.
2) ABS Pump - Have not done anything, as I don't see a specific code for this.
3) ABS Pump Electronic module - Have not gone for a rebuild yet, as have not 100% confirmed that this is the cause. The temperature sensitivity of failing units reported by others is interesting.
4) Steering wheel SZL/Disk/Board - Found no residue on the encoder disk. Cleaned anyway. Also reflowed most solder joints on the circuit board. No difference.
5) Battery is in good condition, there is no IBS sensor on the negative terminal, but a small connector on the positive side is correctly plugged in.
6) Alignment appears correct but has not been redone.
7) JBE - inspected and tried to reflow with heat gun. No difference.

Car is fully stock except for a wiring harness for the radio to plug in a PnP audio amplifier. This required relocating the Fiber optic Most cable to the new radio plug.

This all brings me to the JBE which I suspect is the issue because of the following:

1. My error codes don't matchup exactly to anyone else who had the classic DSC/SZL issue. The closest was a guy in Sweden who had 4 of my SZL communication errors and fixed it by reflowing solder joints on the SZL board.
  2. The JBE is a pass thru for F-CAN communications between the SZL and DSC, as well as has circuitry for windshield wipers
  3. Looks like the JBE was replaced sometime in 2011 under previous owner (verified via INPA and part number date of JBE) so is a potential culprit again
  4. The very few cases I have found of wipers running out of control are people who were doing something with the JBE

Would welcome any thoughts on any of the above.

My next steps are to buy a used JBE to replace what I have. This is my intuition and the JBE is the least expensive part vs the other possible culprits.

Q: Does the replacement JBE need to have a later manufacture date than the build of my car?

Q: What are the steps/tools to code the JBE to my car once I install it? I have NSC Expert, EDIBAS, INPA etc. Cannot find any instructions for how exactly to do this.

If this is indeed the JBE, then I can look forward to the next round of DSC related failures (at least these were well documented) )

Thanks for reading and again would welcome any help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 0510150 Errors DSC.pdf (8.5 KB, 865 views)
File Type: pdf jbbe error details.pdf (5.2 KB, 627 views)
File Type: pdf 0510150 Errors.pdf (3.9 KB, 427 views)
File Type: pdf jbbf info.pdf (78.2 KB, 487 views)

Last edited by luxe91; 05-29-2015 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: minor wording corrections
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
luxe91
Rep

Updates on issues & other members

Still no solution to report on this issue. I've been doing a lot of diagnostics on the car and will post more findings. In the meantime just wanted to mention that a couple other forum members have reached out to me with the same issue in the past couple weeks. If anyone else is having such issues please PM me or post here so we can compare notes. If anyone has resolved any kind of CAN bus wiring, bus turning off issues, your input would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know how the F-CAN bus is physically wired on the e90 - are there any crimps / junctions where these wires connect?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

time ago i had issues with my wipers, so was a leak from the windshield and was killing my JBEE.

In the begining i thought it wasnt the JBEE because i test one from another car, but it didnt work, but it didnt work because both cars have different options, so my advice is if you going to try a use one, have to the from a car that has exactly the same options that you do.

Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

*used
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
luxe91
Rep

yes, that does make sense. I have tried two JBBE's so far. The first one was from a different model and it did not activate various functions in the car correctly even with coding. Second one was exact same part and works correctly but ultimately does not solve the F-CAN issue. What I've found is that the F-CAN signal just passes thru the JBBE. Something is still causing this network/bus to turn off at which point the JBBE considers the SZL failed and puts the wipers into 'emergency mode'.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I know on our little diesel subforum one of the guys unplugged his ABS control module to eliminate the DSC when he was doing drag strip runs. Wipers were always on. Check your connections.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

You may have a blown fuse #20 or #26. Normally with this fuse blown, you have no speed reading or gas gauge though.

Otherwise, it sounds like the clockspring or SAS is bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
luxe91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
I know on our little diesel subforum one of the guys unplugged his ABS control module to eliminate the DSC when he was doing drag strip runs. Wipers were always on. Check your connections.
Thanks for confirming. Connections so far look good. Did a bunch of continuity testing on the F-CAN wires, but could check some additional points.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
luxe91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
You may have a blown fuse #20 or #26. Normally with this fuse blown, you have no speed reading or gas gauge though.

Otherwise, it sounds like the clockspring or SAS is bad.
Thanks. Had checked 20, but need to check 26.

Whole SZL unit replaced....no luck. Cannot code due to DSC errors.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Have you check the car's battery condition? If it's more than 6 years old, replace it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:36 AM   #11
luxe91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Have you check the car's battery condition? If it's more than 6 years old, replace it.
The battery at this point is 9 1/2 years old (based on "47", "06" stamped on the negative terminal). It is original BMW, non-AGM and does not have an IBS fitted.

The DSC issues started couple years back. I drive the car less than 20 miles each day and have 2-3 longer drives each month. I know that short drives don't really charge the battery so I put on a CTEK charger from time to time.

There have been no direct indications of the battery deteriorating and no direct errors. Couple weeks ago I did leave the ignition on overnight (all exterior, interior lights were off) and in the morning the battery was pretty dead.

This morning it read 12.47 volts at the terminals.

All that said, I would agree with the suggestion to just replace it. I'm not expecting this battery to go another 2-3 years and removing this variable with all these electronic problems is probably wise at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Check every fuse. I had the same problem with the wipers staying on. One of my fuses was blown but I don't remember which one it was. iirc, the fuse that was blow didn't have anything to do with the wipers according to the fuse card.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
luxe91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
Check every fuse. I had the same problem with the wipers staying on. One of my fuses was blown but I don't remember which one it was. iirc, the fuse that was blow didn't have anything to do with the wipers according to the fuse card.
Ok. I can try a continuity test on each one using the exposed points on the back. Might be something I'm not seeing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
luxe91
Rep

wheel speed sensor testing

Got a question on wheel speed sensor testing. I found some DIY's mostly for older cars that call for doing a diode test on the ABS wheel speed sensors. The expected voltage/reading should be about 1.5/6 volts one way and 'open' the other way when switching around the meter leads. I have checked all 4 sensors at the DSC plug and 1 sensor at the wheel. Using an old & basic multimeter I get a reading of 0.6 all around and open the other way.

Does anyone know if this is the normal reading on an E90?

In INPA all 4 sensors report correct and equal values. Car does not have any ABS issues, sensor codes or speedometer problems, but the sensors are scratched up and the reluctor rings look a bit cruddy.

Just want to rule out the sensors as a possible culprit.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
luxe91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxe91 View Post
Got a question on wheel speed sensor testing..
Never mind. Did some reading...looks like the e90 has active magneto resistive speed sensors that cannot be tested for resistance like the old passive sensors. A voltage needs to be applied to the active sensor to test it properly. At this point the verification in INPA is probably the most reliable indicator that they are working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #16
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The battery at this point is 9 1/2 years old (based on "47", "06" stamped on the negative terminal). It is original BMW, non-AGM and does not have an IBS fitted.

The DSC issues started couple years back. I drive the car less than 20 miles each day and have 2-3 longer drives each month. I know that short drives don't really charge the battery so I put on a CTEK charger from time to time.

There have been no direct indications of the battery deteriorating and no direct errors. Couple weeks ago I did leave the ignition on overnight (all exterior, interior lights were off) and in the morning the battery was pretty dead.

This morning it read 12.47 volts at the terminals.

All that said, I would agree with the suggestion to just replace it. I'm not expecting this battery to go another 2-3 years and removing this variable with all these electronic problems is probably wise at this point.
9.5 years is insanely long for these cars. Does the car mostly see long drives?

When you measured the voltage? Was it after sitting overnight? Or was it after turning the car off after a drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #17
luxe91
Rep

The car mostly sees very short drives (less than 30 minutes). I need to check the voltages a little more thoroughly - for example after starting. The 12.5 volt reading is after the car has been sitting overnight.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
luxe91
Rep

Some answers!

** possible solution**

I've been working with a couple other forum members over email on resolving this issue. In both their cases it looks like water damage and corrosion on the DSC lateral acceleration sensor & the plug going into it was the issue. They have both replaced the sensor under the drivers seat and the issue was resolved. In my case there was no water damage and after checking the wiring and replacing the sensor anyway the issue still remains.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #19
luxe91
Rep

Updates and questions...

Still no solution but I am currently trying to narrow down the problem to either

1) issue with the F-CAN wiring

or

2) bad electronics in the DSC/ABS unit

I'm running resistance checks on the F-CAN network and the modules where I expect to see a 60ohm reading on the network and 120ohm on the modules which contain resistors (SZL, DSC). Still need to work thru this.

Question is - Does anyone know of the location of any crimps in the F-CAN network in an E90? The reason I ask is because both the SZL and the Lateral Acceleration Sensor are connected to the F-CAN bus and only 1 pair of wires go to DSC. This must mean that somewhere inside the car one of these modules has a crimp or join into the F-CAN pair of wires.

There was a post about this but I could not get to the location of the crimps via the OP who did not know.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16684341

I am trying to get access to the BMW OSS to see if their tech docs / wiring diagrams can give more details.

Last edited by luxe91; 06-30-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 03:34 AM   #20
luxe91
Rep

Problem solved

I have very recently fixed my error and am giving it a few days to ensure the error does not come back. I'll write up a more detailed version. Here is the summary.

I was also working with 2 other forum members, as noted in posts above, having the same issue and it turned out there was a different solution for each person, reason being that these errors represent a hardware fault in the can-bus network and the causes can be varied.

I would suggest that anyone having these errors follow a diagnostic process to verify the continuity and resistance on the can-low and can-high wires before replacing parts.

Solution 1: Forum member had water under the carpets which lead to lateral acceleration sensor connector getting corroded. Issue fixed with new sensor and cleaned up connector.

Solution 2: Prior owner had attempted a poor repair of the f-can wiring going to the lateral acceleration sensor. Replacing the wiring solved the problem.

Solution 3 (my case): Replacing abs module with another used part solved the problem. This was necessary because my old module had no resistance between f-can low and high. It had basically burnt out. I did not send it for a rebuild because it was not showing the typical error that the re-builders normally address.

The tests in the document noted below can help greatly:

http://www.esd-electronics-usa.com/C...ing-Guide.html
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #21
cparke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i N52

Quote:
I have very recently fixed my error and am giving it a few days to ensure the error does not come back. I'll write up a more detailed version. Here is the summary.
This is really great news! Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your findings!

I started getting this exact same issue a few days ago with my 2006 BMW 330i. In my case, everything happened all at once with the DSC/ABS/Break lights coming on all of a sudden at startup, and the wipers operating uncontrollably. Tonight, I pulled the following fault codes out of the car:

JBBF: C914
DME/DDE: CD95
LDM/ICM: D016
DSC: D34B, D370, D371, D372, D373, 5D97

It's definitely not the battery, as I currently have the problem even with a 12V 100A power supply connected to the car (engine not running!). These codes come back immediately come back upon reset. However, I'm also aware that rain water has been getting into the car at the driver's carpet area somehow, probably through the door seal or something, and I was worried that this problem is being caused by a short in the FRM module created by this water.

Based on your findings, however, I need to get all the water out from under the carpet, and then the point of failure is probably this "lateral acceleration sensor" that I need to find under there. Interpreting the meaning of the fault codes, that sensor and the F-CAN bus it is connected to are shorted out, and the wiper control is somehow also triggered by DSC under this condition.

Thank you once again, and hoping I will be able to fix this issue quickly and much less painfully than what you had to go through for so long!

Last edited by cparke; 09-20-2018 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #22
luxe91
Rep

check your PM's cparke. I've provided answers to your specific questions.
Appreciate 0