E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Sirius Radio (official instructions)

07-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow DIY - Sirius Radio (official instructions)

Click the following link for official instructions (in PDF) on installing Sirius Radio.

Sirius Radio Install Instructions
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Thanks jwocky! E90post is continuing to be a great resource!!

I can see that my dealer knew what they were doing when they said they requested an email with new "vehicle order" just as these instructions say.
      07-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Amil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 3.0i

so after i install this i have to take it to the dealer still right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amil
so after i install this i have to take it to the dealer still right?
Yes, and at the moment they have to request the specific software for your car from BMW and then install it when they get it sothat the system works
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
rojasorone
Rep
Drives:

Jwocky...Pardon my ignorance..what about if you already have the Sirius prep done by the dealer? Where do I start? Can I still follow this instructions? I checked my car and it apparently has the Sirius Receiver (Again Dealer Prep) Do I still need to load the software at the dealer, or is it preloaded with the sat prep? Thanks for all your help
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Rather Dashing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i Man/Ti/Sport

Anyone done this yet? Was it hard? How much were the parts? Is the only place I can order these parts a BMW dealership? I have Sat Prep and I am really regreting it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojasorone
Jwocky...Pardon my ignorance..what about if you already have the Sirius prep done by the dealer? Where do I start? Can I still follow this instructions? I checked my car and it apparently has the Sirius Receiver (Again Dealer Prep) Do I still need to load the software at the dealer, or is it preloaded with the sat prep? Thanks for all your help
Sorry, I'm not sure what the answer is to your question. Perhaps a fellow member can help answer this. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
Rather Dashing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i Man/Ti/Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojasorone
Sat Prep has the wiring already setup for sirius but it does not have the receiver. You need to buy the receiver and the harness and either have BMW install it or do it yourself (but BMW still needs to upgrade your software apparently).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
73WhiteBoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Is it possible to use an aftermarket satellite receiver with the BMW Sat Prep radio? Or will only a "BMW" sat receiver work?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Daddu
Daddu
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Satellite Wiring

What can you do yourself to install satellite if you don't have the Satellite prep wiring already installed in your car? Is it still possible to connect the satelite antenna that is on top of all the cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #11
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

Quick question on this, with sat prep, can you install other Sat Radio service other than Sirius?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
alexk_e90
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
Click the following link for official instructions (in PDF) on installing Sirius Radio.

Sirius Radio Install Instructions
Buyer beware. I saw these instructions, but still wanted to have the dealer install. I went to 2 dealers. One of them wanted to charge me 3.5 hrs at a rate of $100 per hour, while the other charged me 1.0 hrs (like the instructions say) at $110 per hour. Both offered and matched the same price of the HW kit.

Actual time for a tech to install, who never performed this install before? 50 minutes plus the SW upgrade which was handled seperately. Evidently SW upgrades on the E-90's can take anywhere from 20min to several hours. I was lucky at 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #13
alexk_e90
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Dashing
Sat Prep has the wiring already setup for sirius but it does not have the receiver. You need to buy the receiver and the harness and either have BMW install it or do it yourself (but BMW still needs to upgrade your software apparently).
Don't know how valid the claim was, but I was told over at bimmerfest that you have to tap into the fiber optic setup. If the car isn't setup right for the upgrade you can render your car disabled until the SW upgrade is performed. Didn't want to risk it, so I had it installed at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #14
zoidal@mac.com
Beemer on a mission...
Rep
Drives: 330i

Sirius Sat Prep Question

So, I got my 330 with sat prep. I hesitated on their oem radio since I preferred to get the new sirius s-50... which is basically a portable system, that has it's own 50hr tivo-type recorder. it also can be pulled out of the cradle (car or home) and used to playback recorded shows and mp3s just like an ipod. it even looks like an ipod nano in black.

MY BIG QUESTION...
can i access the antenna coax connector from the prewired sat-prep sharkfin in order to connect up my new s-50?

I imagine it terminates either in the trunk (if that's where the oem system installs) or in the dash near the display. I just want to connect it to the s-50.

My only other alternative, which is not really so bad, is that i use the small antenna that came with the carkit version of the s-50. it's about the size of a small coaster, and magnetic. I tested it by leaving it on the rear deck and it worked perfectly. (it held magnetically to the hook on the deck). it could be a pretty inconspicuous install, but my first choice would be to use the existing bmw sirius sat-prep antenna.

anyone able to speak on this? you can also email me directly.

thanks.

jan

btw... my sparkling graphite 2006 330i is a quantum leap in performance over my 2001 330ci. They've really improved the car's performance & handling, although I'm getting a little lower mpg than promised. my 4 yr old, 97,000 mi 2001 330ci got about 21.6 city.

I realize this new one hasn't really broken in yet, (only 1500mi), and has higher hp... but bmw claims i should be getting higher mpgs than i'm getting so far. if i really work at it, i can get 20.6mpg city.

granted, the emissions of this car are cleaner than the air in L.A., and hence help the atmosphere, but will I be getting better mileage as the car wears in? anybody?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
stratstrummer
Private
Rep
Drives: Want a 330i soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidal@mac.com
So, I got my 330 with sat prep. I hesitated on their oem radio since I preferred to get the new sirius s-50... which is basically a portable system, that has it's own 50hr tivo-type recorder. it also can be pulled out of the cradle (car or home) and used to playback recorded shows and mp3s just like an ipod. it even looks like an ipod nano in black.

MY BIG QUESTION...
can i access the antenna coax connector from the prewired sat-prep sharkfin in order to connect up my new s-50?

I imagine it terminates either in the trunk (if that's where the oem system installs) or in the dash near the display. I just want to connect it to the s-50.

My only other alternative, which is not really so bad, is that i use the small antenna that came with the carkit version of the s-50. it's about the size of a small coaster, and magnetic. I tested it by leaving it on the rear deck and it worked perfectly. (it held magnetically to the hook on the deck). it could be a pretty inconspicuous install, but my first choice would be to use the existing bmw sirius sat-prep antenna.

anyone able to speak on this? you can also email me directly.

thanks.

jan
I would also be interested to find the answer to this question.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #16
arkeetek
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

why do the "official" installation instructions from BMW have the E90Post.com address at the top of the page?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
aktiveradio
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Sirius Receiver

Anyone find a dealer or OEM parts place selling the Sirius Receiver for less than the $425 price?

Last edited by aktiveradio; 05-04-2006 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 03:04 AM   #18
wassupjohjoh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i / Prem / Sport / CWP

Hello everyone.

New poster, and new BMW owner. Sorry for the bounce of this post, I have a question I couldn't find answered.

I have a 325i, with the premium/sport/cold weather package. I'm trying to install a BMW Sirius OEM receiver. This is a great post, has everything I need to do it correctly. I have just one problem:

In the PDF file included here, in step 1 the instructions say to 'locate the Sirius Antenna and power/MOST connectors.'

I can find them anywhere. I have what looks like a motorola bluetooth device that is bolted down next to where the Sirius receiver is going to go, but I can't seem to find those two connectors. There are several cables from the MOST setup that connect to this bluetooth device.

Are they typically hidden somewhere underneath the trunk upholstery, or...? If anyone has any ideas would love to hear them.

Thanks all in advance for any insight.

John
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
metinson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Revised Installation Instructions

Attached you will find UPDATED Instructions from BMW - Version 2.0
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sat-EBADoc942.pdf (289.7 KB, 10017 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
grantn17
BMW09
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Configuration Update Question...

Say I go with both the car alarm and the Sirius radio DIY route, will I have to pay for two separate BMW installs? If the configuration update is a single software/platform update, then why not have all DIYs complete before updating the software?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #21
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Anyone have problems with the fiber cable orientation in the PDF? Just wanting to make sure that the orientation in the PDF here is correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #22
freedisk00
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Hey All-

So I have installed the following on my 2008 335i sedan.
1. OEM Alarm
-all three parts, hood switch, interior motion sensor, alarm in rear left tire
2. Sirius Install
-I installed the module
-The Fiber Wiring was not correct for my BMW.
- Basically the second module (Part 2) has all of the fiber connections connected, so I can't un-plug a cable from (part 1) into part 2.

Questions:
1. Does this mean my sirius is installed? Since all of my cables are plugged into part 2?
2. After I installed my oem-alarm, I haven't activated it yet. However, when I lock my car with my FOB, the arlam light blinks. What I don't understand is the P-Led orange light on my transmission knob stays lit. Does anyone else have this issue?

Please advise.

thanks
Appreciate 0