E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Official Houston Thread (#2)

01-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #67
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebbie View Post
where do you stay? i'd love to get a test ride if that was possible.
shoot me a pm sometime later this weeek, and we can set something up

if you own/are a good mt driver id be happy to let you take it for a short spin

i live in the galleria area
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #68
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i haven't, but i would like to see some results as well.

one guy from Cobb said he could make similar or BETTER numbers than JB3/V5from just the off the shelf tune.

i'm definatelyt a Cobb supporter - just waiting to see real numbers from local Houston/Austin guys
from owning both, the cobb seems to make a bit more power, specifically low end torque and top end

the main difference (and reason i got it) was to A) have easy access to install/uninstall and B) to be able to dyno tune
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #69
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslaw83 View Post
i'm still here and still trying find time to get it figured out..i am on a cut throat project till the end of febuary, but should be up and running after that..i haven't even had time to code my own car...70 hour weeks behind a computer and looking at renderings are killing me right now..sorry, but you guys will know as soon as i am able to get back on it
OK bro don't hurt yourself, let me know when you get the ball rolling.
      01-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #70
Vigorous
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just ordered JB4 upgrade. Let's see how this goes!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #71
joehoang
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
from owning both, the cobb seems to make a bit more power, specifically low end torque and top end

the main difference (and reason i got it) was to A) have easy access to install/uninstall and B) to be able to dyno tune
I saw somewhere that cobb made less power on a 6AT. Do you know if thats true?
Morr MS8/ HPF FMIC anodized/ Cobb AP/ ar Catless Dp/ Quaife LSD/ M3 control arms/ STETT CAI/ STETT Chargepipe w. Synapse BOV/ ar OCC/ Bilstein b16/ OEM Front Lip/ M3 Lip Spoiler/ P3 Vent gauge V2/ Black Kidney grille/ Ls3/ Mtech rear/ LCI Euro Tail lights/ 3d design quad diffuser/ BMW performance exhaust w/quad tips/ BMW performance front splitter/ Huper Optik Drei
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #72
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehoang View Post
I saw somewhere that cobb made less power on a 6AT. Do you know if thats true?
I do not know, to my recollection I haven't seen any 6at dynos.

I bought this product, and returned my v5, because of 2 reasons only.

A) The ability to protune (dyno tune) the Cobb ap at the tuner of your choice. I believe a car custom tuned on a dyno is far superior to any off the shelf map/piggieback that you can get. To clarify, superior in both power and safety/reliability.

B) the ease of installation/uninstallation. The process is extremely simple and quick, and can be done anywhere, anytime, without any tools. This flexibility is invaluable to me, and worth paying for.

Sure the ots Cobb map was a little smoother and more powerful than the v5. But with a dyno tune it's going to be much better and the ease of usage can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #73
joehoang
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

A) The ability to protune (dyno tune) the Cobb ap at the tuner of your choice. I believe a car custom tuned on a dyno is far superior to any off the shelf map/piggieback that you can get. To clarify, superior in both power and safety/reliability.

B) the ease of installation/uninstallation. The process is extremely simple and quick, and can be done anywhere, anytime, without any tools. This flexibility is invaluable to me, and worth paying for.

Sure the ots Cobb map was a little smoother and more powerful than the v5. But with a dyno tune it's going to be much better and the ease of usage can't be beat.

Your really making me think about switching haha and I only had my PROcede for about a month or so...
Morr MS8/ HPF FMIC anodized/ Cobb AP/ ar Catless Dp/ Quaife LSD/ M3 control arms/ STETT CAI/ STETT Chargepipe w. Synapse BOV/ ar OCC/ Bilstein b16/ OEM Front Lip/ M3 Lip Spoiler/ P3 Vent gauge V2/ Black Kidney grille/ Ls3/ Mtech rear/ LCI Euro Tail lights/ 3d design quad diffuser/ BMW performance exhaust w/quad tips/ BMW performance front splitter/ Huper Optik Drei
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #74
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spacegrau 2009 335i 6MT

Quote:
Your really making me think about switching haha and I only had my PROcede for about a month or so...
Go read the initial reviews of the new maps that are about to come out and you'll probably change your mind

I'm excited to be heading down to Angleton for a driver's edge track school this weekend. Should be tons of fun.

Has anyone else done one of these events?

http://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #75
joehoang
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
I'm excited to be heading down to Angleton for a driver's edge track school this weekend. Should be tons of fun.

Has anyone else done one of these events?

http://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm
I always wanted to try that. Tell me how it is when you get back
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #76
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always wanted to try that. Tell me how it is when you get back
For $300 for a weekend of track fun I'm guessing it will be a blast. I've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never found an option that was this cheap and this close. They also run at Texas World Speedway in College Station quite often.

I'll post a full report when I'm done.

Everyone I've talked to says that I'll never autox again after I get a taste of track driving

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #77
HoustonGuy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Organizing something for March 12th...at uptown.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #78
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:

I probably would have jumped on it already but they don't have anything for the 07
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #79
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

guyssss why does the houston thread suck a%$??? anyone from htown planning on going to Mfest this year?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #80
Vigorous
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
guyssss why does the houston thread suck a%$??? anyone from htown planning on going to Mfest this year?
Buahahaha!
I'm not going to Mfest though.
Does anyone go to random meets around town?
2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe / VRSF Downpipes / ETS Intercooler / Injen Intake / Alufelgen SF-71 Hyperblack / Orion V4 Angel Eyes / Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirts / CSL Trunk / Roof Spoiler / HID 3000k Fogs / Painted Shadowline Trim / Lowering Perches
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #81
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

well, i'm trying to figure out what something means.

my car has been acting funny and the search function is acting like a bum

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 335544320 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 16777216 bytes) in /home/admin/domains/bimmerpost.com/public_html/forums/search.php on line 1009

so here it goes - car had that big red light that says i needed to check my tire pressure. went about 3 or 4 days with it on and then finally got some time to stop by and get it checked. all 4 tires had the right amount of pressure put in - good right !?!?

well, when i leave that tire shop the brake light comes on, HAHAAH !!!!

then, i get home and park the car in the garage. when i get out there's another big red sign with a car on the lift - WTF does that mean !?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #82
Greatest335I
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335I black

mean some one was lifting your car up. ! a GHOST !
      01-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #83
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest335I View Post
mean some one was lifting your car up. ! a GHOST !
"...i would never mess with a man's BMW..."

sincerely,
Jesus
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #84
Bslaw83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
For $300 for a weekend of track fun I'm guessing it will be a blast. I've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never found an option that was this cheap and this close. They also run at Texas World Speedway in College Station quite often.

I'll post a full report when I'm done.

Everyone I've talked to says that I'll never autox again after I get a taste of track driving
how was it?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #85
Doug007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslaw83 View Post
how was it?
It was an awesome event.

Four 25 minute sessions each day with an instructor in the car giving pointers that whole time. I learned a ton and was humbled. Driving is far more than having 450whp and putting the go pedal down.

I definitely learned a lot and will do it again. Driver's Edge (www.thedriversedge.net) puts on a great event. There were tons of awesome cars there from race prepped miatas, lotuses, corvettes, 911 GT3s, mustangs, and lots of BMWs. Everyone is pretty friendly and very helpful.

I would definitely recommend it. They will be back at MSR Houston in April and I plan on doing it again then.

Only real problem is that now I'm thinking about buying better tires, coilovers, or maybe a LSD to put the power down better and gain some grip in the corners!

2009 Spacegrau 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #86
mcanderson0
Turbo.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigorous View Post
Buahahaha!
I'm not going to Mfest though.
Does anyone go to random meets around town?
I just got my car about 2 months ago and was planning to showup at the Urbanspeed meet, but we got rained out. I fish around this forum for meetups and such around Houston, but I dont hear of much going on in Houston. Are people in here really only available once a month (Urbanspeed)?
      01-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #87
Vigorous
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanderson0 View Post
I just got my car about 2 months ago and was planning to showup at the Urbanspeed meet, but we got rained out. I fish around this forum for meetups and such around Houston, but I dont hear of much going on in Houston. Are people in here really only available once a month (Urbanspeed)?
There's also Coffee and Cars every month.
Also, Houston-Imports has alot of events around town. Planet Zero is a big import meet with alot of fast and furious cars. I admit, I do attend those at times.
However, you're right that you don't hear much bmw stuff going on in Houston.
2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe / VRSF Downpipes / ETS Intercooler / Injen Intake / Alufelgen SF-71 Hyperblack / Orion V4 Angel Eyes / Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirts / CSL Trunk / Roof Spoiler / HID 3000k Fogs / Painted Shadowline Trim / Lowering Perches
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #88
¡335i
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Hey guys. I'm running the JB4 @17 psi, meth, a DCI, a FMIC, and catless downpipes on my red '09 335i. Maybe one of you has seen me racing at RPR (formerly HRP). I got the JB4 as part of the alpha testing group in December. It has a lot of really cool features and the best tech support you could want. I ran the JB3 before that. IMO, the JB3/JB4 is easy to install and uninstall after you've done it once. It takes about 45 minutes to do it the first time. "Ease of install" shouldn't be a determinative criterion when both kits are easy to install and the install only happens once (or once a year after you go in for service).

Houston feels dead with respect to both the N54/N55 community and the broader car enthusiast community. I'd love to get together for some runs some time. I rarely find any action in this damn town. Obviously, I'm into the power and racing side of things. I really couldn't give a sh!t about some "angel eyes," the exact description of my car's exterior or interior color, or a photo op. Platform's been out 5 years, cars are everywhere you look, and it's not a freakin' Ferrari. Anyway, PM me or post if you'd like to meet for a run. I am looking for an oasis in this desert.
Appreciate 0