E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Should I be worried? Custom software from BMWNA

10-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #23
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycain View Post
therealm3,

If he took all the bigger mods off (think he did) and he just has software on the car I don't see the sotware causing this. Safe tuners like BMS, GAIC, and Vishnu make their software to perform within acceptable, safe parameters that will not cause issues like THIS when there aren't major mods present (which is the case now). It's not saying it's never happened with just software, but it's very unlikely.

The 335 has shown that the fuel pump and injectors are major weakness on the car without even any mods present. I bet it would exhibit the same behavior with the JB3 off the car.

It sounds to me that your experience with your 325 has caused you to be jaded, but getting worked up about people taking modded cars to the dealership for warranty work is wasted energy. People mod Accords for God's sake....

If you still feel that passionate about the subject maybe you can start an advocacy group that stops warranty work on modded cars. Good luck finding members to join your cause.....
But that's not what the OP said - he said the problem is easily reproduced with the JB3.

The tuners can build their product to be safe for a certain average percentage of the engines out there. But any car guy worth the grease under his finger nails can tell you no 2 engines are the same, and among mass produced engines, the can vary widely.

These are mass produced engines. All parts are built to a certain tolerance, and sometimes these tolerances stack up in an unfavorable manner. With the thousands of parts that go into the engine, the odds are quite litterally one in a million or less, but the fact is it happens.

That said, even when an unfavorable and very unusual stacking of tolerances produces an engine that may not be as robust as the average engine from a given series, it's still designed to be within the operating paramaters. When someone changes the operating paramaters on an engine in this situation, you can now take the engine out of the design paramaters in a manner its tolerances can't handle.

This is why the old-school stock car boys would "blue-print" an engine. They would literally sort through hundreds or thousands of factory parts, or buy parts measured to be at a point in the certain tolerance spread, or machine parts to a design tolerance such that the tolerances stacked up in a favorable manner. Perfectly legal way to boost your engine output in "stock" racing.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended

Last edited by TurboFan; 10-22-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #24
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I'm also betting that someone from BMWNA and/or the dealer is probably reading this thread with great interest. It wouldn't be the first time someone got nailed for posting too much about their tune-induced troubles on-line.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
ultimateendz
Vengeance is mine, I shall repay
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, CTS-V coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
sorry, just looking through the thread..

what is "pre-detonation"???

or did you mean something else?
no harm intended, just trying to understand what you saying here.
EDIT - i meant "pre ignition"
supposedly the tip design of the plugs are different and the sharp tip of these plugs are getting really hot pre igniting the mixture hence causing my misfires and timing dropouts

Last edited by ultimateendz; 10-22-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
I've read the post....did both of you over look this sentance?

Quote:
it happens once in a blue moon on stock, but has been getting progressively worse.
I realize that this issue could have various outcomes....I just don't understand you getting up on a soap box about those that have modded their cars not coming clean while at the dealer for warranty work. Your point is P O I N T L E S S to the large majority of those on this site that mod their cars (which is most of the people on this site). Nothing is going to change....
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #27
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
The tuners can build their product to be safe for a certain average percentage of the engines out there. But any car guy worth the grease under his finger nails can tell you no 2 engines are the same, and among mass produced engines, the can vary widely.

These are mass produced engines. All parts are built to a certain tolerance, and sometimes these tolerances stack up in an unfavorable manner. With the thousands of parts that go into the engine, the odds are quite litterally one in a million or less, but the fact is it happens.

That said, even when an unfavorable and very unusual stacking of tolerances produces an engine that may not be as robust as the average engine from a given series, it's still designed to be within the operating paramaters. When someone changes the operating paramaters on an engine in this situation, you can now take the engine out of the design paramaters in a manner its tolerances can't handle.

This is why the old-school stock car boys would "blue-print" an engine. They would literally sort through hundreds or thousands of factory parts, or buy parts measured to be at a point in the certain tolerance spread, or machine parts to a design tolerance such that the tolerances stacked up in a favorable manner. Perfectly legal way to boost your engine output in "stock" racing.
Turbo Fan,

Until just a few years ago I owned a BMW Aftermarket parts company that designed, manufactured and marketed various performance parts for many BMW models. I am clearly aware of design parameters and custom "one off" parts.

I've spent more time with machine shops and dynos than you can imagine.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
DR_E92
Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 Coupe

you guys are honestly arguing about something that would inevitably happen to the OP no matter what. yes, the extra power from ALL the mods collectively could probably induce these problems easier than stock, but they seem to occur while stock anyway.

I am having the same issues and once I uninstalled all my parts for service, I haven't added a single mod back onto my car, and I continue to have these issues.... low pressure fuel sensor updated software and now today all injectors and spark plugs have been changed.

As someone stated before, the problems already exist with the car to begin with, the tunes and mods just help unveil them easier.
      10-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #29
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

I don't know if its BS or not; But those in the software business know there is no such thing as perfect bug free software. You can test and test, but once something is released to the field, inevitably some bug will be found by the end user. One no amount of testing on your part could have found. Thats why you have revision, maintenance packs, patches whatever really you call it. Happens with every professional software outfit, embedded, industrial or otherwise.

Sometimes you can't replicate the error, so you send out a modified update to a live customer in extreme cases just to see if the issue goes away, because nothing you do in your QA or FQT environment helps. It is possible they might be using his car to field test some pre-lease improved update that is supposed to help with this. On the other hand, dealer could be blowing up smoke up his rear.
      10-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #30
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 Alpine white with Red

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Wow, this kinda blew up... To Clear the air... Yes, my issues happen when stock, but not as much as when I bump up the maps... Something is failing as its duty cycle increases.... and that something does occasionally happen while on stock, just not as predictable as when there is a tune in.

Also - the service department knew exactly what tune I had in - they just want it on map 0 or completely out when I take it in.

Last thing is everyone keeps saying read logs - but no one answered.. am I getting these logs from my BT cable or from my JB3 tuning program?
      10-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #31
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 Alpine white with Red

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
As a quick update, I got the car back from the dealer and it now runs better than it ever has... Apparently the bad fuel injector was causing some roughness in the drive line that I simply thought was normal from when I bought the car.. (used with 16k miles just after having it's first hpfp apparently). Cyl 3 injector wasn't spraying properly at any time causing a rougher than normal idle and occasional hiccups. now it runs completely smooth, even noticeable without my tune...

Glad I took it in for warranty work...