E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Confusing ISTA/D "no communications" error codes

08-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
l8nit3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328XI

Garage List
Confusing ISTA/D "no communications" error codes

Hello again E90Post members!

I am back with some interesting issues. I am hoping the all knowing members here can help shed some light.

I have recently purchased a used 2011 328I with X-drive, no i-drive, and no OEM navigation.

BACKGROUND:
After many complications with the purchase itself, I finally got my vehicle.. with a headlight out. Giving the benefit of the doubt, and due to the supposed safety and certification, I fixed the headlight, and moved on.

After some research, I purchased a Veepeak ODBCheck BLE+ and a BimmerCode android subscription to manage some small coding/programming changes (not sure which is which yet code/program).

When going through the list of options the first thing I noticed was FRM options were completely disabled as "FRM contains fault memory"...... not good.... at this point I have owned the vehicle exactly one week.

Now again, benefit of the doubt, I could have fried the FRM with a bad OBD connection.. or something ( I hear they are finicky), and as such am not claiming it to have been purchased that way. So I have ordered the FRM3 to replace my current faulty one.

After all of this , before installing the FRM3, I also ordered and installed aftermarket XTRONS head unit. The install went well and everything seems connected fine, however I disconnected the battery during the process so as not to short/fry anything during install.... which I now read can actually fry the FRM also, just disconnecting the battery.

Additional background about my adventure with the head unit here

THE ISSUE:
Due to the FRM issues, i got wary and did some research and learned about ISTA/D and its awesome diagnostics. Using it however, I got some surprising and scary errors.

Assuming some could be left over from previous owner, and just not cleared properly, I deleted/cleared all faults and then drove about a 10-20 minute drive to see if they returned, too worried to go further and damage expensive components. The picture below shows the codes that returned afterwards (with some of the FRM ones filtered out as we already know about those)

Some are obvious, satellite tuner, telephone control unit and head unit make perfect sense due to my aftermarket HU..... however the others confuse and worry me.

QUESTIONS:
1) Does anyone have any ideas what these are?
2) Could they simply be tied to the FRM or removal of the original HU, or am I likely in for more issues and deeper diagnostics?
3) Is it safe in any way to continue driving to see if any more errors re-appear?
4) Is it possible its just something simple like some fuses, bad cable/wire, some easy to reach module (like the FRM)?

There was 32 faults originally before clearing, including 0204, 6EC4, 2C79, 2F81, 2F83, C947 and others that have yet to re-appear, all of which I have also researched and am REALLY hoping don't come back.

*edit*
As a side note, I would like to backup my VO before any other issues occur. In ISTA/D under "Vehicle Information" and then "Operations Report", there is a large string beginning with E90_#0911*PK77 and has a ton of $number entries... is this what I need to backup for my list of options/FA/VO?

**edit**
I wasn't sure which sub-forum to use for this question and went with "Mechanical Maintenance", MODS please let me know if it should go elsewhere.

*Update*
Not being one to wait on others to research for me, I have put some more time into looking up my current errors, and the ones I had before the first "clear".

Looking into the "no connection" issues, it would seem many of the issues/errors I am seeing could be due to a low voltage issue from disconnecting the battery and not giving enough time for all sensors to re-connect/re-initialize. Or could be due to coding with the engine running instead of using a PSU and being on ACC mode. source

Or possibly some loose/disconnected wires in the dash I may have disturbed when running the gps and mic for the new HU. source

Or possibly a bad battery relay cable (this is for 1-series but i figure worth checking) source

Will update my findings here for anyone following along.

*UPDATE #2*
For those following along:
I have fully charged my battery, cleared all codes, and then went for a hour+ drive. So far I have only gotten back 6 faults, 3 pertaining to the missing HU/Tele/Sat setup, and the remaining dealing with FRM and an "exterior light failure" which from my research may be a brake light, or may be tied to the FRM. Awaiting a new MST-80 for the FRM3 coding and will update afterwards.

*side note* The head unit seems to be working just fine, and not causing issues as i originally feared, making it a likely viable option for a DIYer who wants a budget android unit in dash.
Attached Images

Last edited by l8nit3; 08-18-2021 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0