E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Dynavin N6 product sounds encouraging

06-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #45
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
DIY

Jeff,

I think something that would boost sales a lot would be to do a DIY video for this unit. You could do several types of videos.

A) for e90's with logic 7
B) for e90's with Hi Fi
C) for e90's that want to integrate a JBL MS-8 or other surround sound amp that have logic 7
D) for e90's that do not have logic 7 and want to add a JBL MS-8 amp.

I would even go as far as making the sale of ms-8's and other surround sound amps as a part of your business and giving forum members a discount.

Just my thoughts

mweisdorfer
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #46
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

ill of course be putting something together, all in good time, but it wont be THAT comprehensive.....I dont have a dozen various E90s with all the stereo variations sitting around!

Actually, as far as the dynavin goes the install is VERY straightforward since its all plug and play, including the MOST setup. Its mostly just a matter of taking out the old radio, connecting a couple plugs and running a mic and ipod cable, then putting it back together.

For something like an MS-8 or other amp/processor install, just contact forum sponsor musicarnorthwest.com (VP Electricity here on the forum)....no need to reinvent the wheel, they already have some PERFECT amp/speaker kits and have hundreds (maybe thousands?) of happy customers here on the forums (myself included).

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-10-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #47
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Jeff, if you have aftermarket amps to run with the dynavin would you connect the rca outs to the stock wiring (2 twisted pairs) or would you run new rca's to the trunk?

Last edited by cdgatti; 06-09-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #48
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

cant wait for this to come out...my D99 is great but i could use the bigger screen! I just hope uninstalling the D99 wont be a PITA
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #49
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

what other issues with D99 do you hope get addressed by the N6?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #50
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
what other issues with D99 do you hope get addressed by the N6?

I hope they did better with the glare issue. Whenever the sun shines on it I can't see shit. I also hope the revamped the look of the music player when you use an sd card. The D99 looked very old-school in that regard. Everything else is pretty good
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #51
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Jeff, if you have aftermarket amps to run with the dynavin would you connect the rca outs to the stock wiring (2 twisted pairs) or would you run new rca's to the trunk?
Either way is fine, I personally ran RCAs so I could leave the entire stock wire harness intact....but there are ways to utilize the stock speaker wires as RCAs using a technic harness etc and a little bit of cutting and splicing at the dash end....non L7 cars obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
cant wait for this to come out...my D99 is great but i could use the bigger screen! I just hope uninstalling the D99 wont be a PITA
The E90 etc... is one of the easier assembly/disassemble cars out there....I know I can pull my dynavin out in a matter of seconds....admittedly Ive done it quite a few times, but to probably took me 10 minutes to swap out the D99 to the N6.....the only slightly tricky part is that the N6 uses a different style mic so you need to install the new one, and pulling out the old ipod cord since it now uses USB.

Quote:
I also hope the revamped the look of the music player when you use an sd card. The D99 looked very old-school in that regard. Everything else is pretty good
The interface is pretty much the same regardless of source.....I already posted some "now playing screen" ipod pics in here, the SD, USB, etc... are the same. Dynavin has a bunch of the interface pics on their website but here is a pic from their site of what the browsing screen looks like....pretty straightforward:

And a couple "real life" pics of the USB/SD interface (on a VW unit Im currently playing with)

Obviously how you navigate and how well this works is dependent on how well your music is organized and tagged.

\

If you have it arranged by folers and files you can browse that way too:

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-10-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #52
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Major cudo's for and L7 adapter.
That should double sales for that one issue.
That is a big barrier for guys with pro radio and L7.
But how does it handle the multiple channels.
Since L7 has 9 channels and the deck almost all decks have

Also is the processor any faster.

I am guessing you would still need a parallel or
remount of the stock unit for car diagnostics .
Which is one of the major drawbacks to putting
aftermarket HU's in a BMW.

I am guessing its manual time delay settings and eq
any chance they can come up with optimum base
settings based on the basic car configruations. ie sedan , coupe ,wagon l7 no l7 .
For L7 I would think that would have to be a compromize as you wouldn't be able to control each channel from the amp out.
this seems like a good option for those with logic 7 or you can even use a da2. How good is the software is the big question.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #53
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Jeff, are the speaker level outs and rca outs both active? Also can they be mixed and matched, for example could the rears be powered off the head unit amplifier while running the rcas for the fronts and subs (underseats) to the amps?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #54
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Jeff, are the speaker level outs and rca outs both active? Also can they be mixed and matched, for example could the rears be powered off the head unit amplifier while running the rcas for the fronts and subs (underseats) to the amps?
Yes, it's the same as any other aftermarket head unit in this respect.

FYI....just became an official site sponsor here so I can do here what I do for the E46 and E39 guys on their respective forums.

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-10-2014 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #55
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Yes, it's the same as any other aftermarket head unit in this respect.

FYI....just became an official site sponsor here so I can do here what I do for the E46 and E39 guys on their respective forums.
cool so any group buy price or special pricing for existing Dynavin users looking to upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #56
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
cool so any group buy price or special pricing for existing Dynavin users looking to upgrade?
email me, since you currently have a D99 you would be in a good position to appreciate all the improvements and changes.

By the way, its still against the forum rules to have sales threads anywhere except the sponsor classifieds forums so lets keep this thread an "info" thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #57
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
I hope they did better with the glare issue. Whenever the sun shines on it I can't see shit. I also hope the revamped the look of the music player when you use an sd card. The D99 looked very old-school in that regard. Everything else is pretty good
I am not sure about dynavin units but I had a 2014 model pioneer head unit and it had severe glare too. Its purely dependent on your interior colors, direction of sunlight and window tinting, etc. Unless you have the I-drive which is mounted deep inside the dash, all other units are very likely going to have some glare if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #58
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Jeff can you explain two of the audio functions in more detail.

Time alignment: can all 6 channels be independently set for delay?
EQ: what are the center frequencies or are they adjustable?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #59
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Jeff can you explain two of the audio functions in more detail.

Time alignment: can all 6 channels be independently set for delay?
EQ: what are the center frequencies or are they adjustable?
The Time alignment is 4 independent channels, no setting on the sub since the subs are typically the furthest away there is no reason to delay them....everything else should be delayed from the sub (the MS-8 works like this too by the way, no time alignment on the sub). In the case of the dynavin the settings are in cm so it should be a matter of just measuring the speaker distance and setting accordingly to get in the ballpark. I suspect those with a trunk sub may do some offsetting with those dimensions to account for the sub but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

After playing around with this setup for a while in my car I found that the delay settings are not the actual distance from the speakers but instead how much delay needs to be applied to each speaker in terms of distance......so if your drivers side speaker is 45cm closer than your passenger side speaker you should set the drivers side delay setting to 45cm and the passenger side to 0cm.

I briefly tried it with the MOST adapter in my car and it worked, I was able to center the image by ear and get it sounding pretty solid and full, sounded really good in fact, even without using the EQ, not AS good as my MS-8 but thats to be expected. Its seems like it would be a bit of a compromise in the E9X configuration since we have the underseat woofers working in conjunction with the mids and tweeters on each front channel all being aligned together but I didnt hear much compromise, the imaging jumped right up to the top of the dash and I was able to move it right and left using the delay, bass was solid and centered.

Disclaimer: If you dont know what time alignment is....and you dont know how to set it....dont bother messing with it, time alignment is probably the most powerful tool there is when it comes to setting up a sound system, and that also means if you dont know what you are doing you can make it sound absolutely terrible!

The current EQ is a 5 band as you see below, In some of the dynavin literature there are references to a 7 band EQ so I suspect that a couple more bands might be added later along with some other more advanced audio features...just speculating at this point...but thats where that easy updating thing they are pushing comes into play. But here is how it stands now:

And for those that dont know what they are doing with an EQ there are also the traditional bass/mid/treble controls along with a sub level for those that have one:

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-13-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #60
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Time delay

Measure feet to the center of the car with a tape measure and convert to cm.

The formula is 1'/millisecond
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #61
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Measure feet to the center of the car with a tape measure and convert to cm.

The formula is 1'/millisecond
Measure to the listening position....listeners head.
Not the center of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #62
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Jeff, how's this for a time alignment method with this system? Set your underseats and front mids/tweets crossovers so they overlap, say low pass the underseats at 300 hz and high pass the mids at 150. Then fade all the way to the front and put balance all the way to the right. Play a 200 hz tone so both the right mid and the right underseat will be playing the same frequency. Then move the right mid out in time till the highest db is heard at the drivers seat. Then set the left mid to the right mid by playing music with a strong center voice and move the left mid out in time to center the image.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #63
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
Why no HD Radio ?
It REALLY pisses me off that companies will put out a supposed high-end product without HD RADIO. Especially considering that HD radio is include in the OEM HU i would be replacing

Its the reason i havent already replaced with dynavin, or its oem-like cousins.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #64
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Since this headunit connects to both the most bus and the canbus would the stock headunit even be needed for dealer coding? It seems like it should be possible with the right software.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #65
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Since this headunit connects to both the most bus and the canbus would the stock headunit even be needed for dealer coding? It seems like it should be possible with the right software.
Jeff mentioned that the cars with SoS will throw an error which indicates that the function of MOST adapter is not to replace the stock unit. I had an email conversation with him and he mentioned that depending on the dealers setup, either they can or cannot connect to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #66
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Jeff, how's this for a time alignment method with this system? Set your underseats and front mids/tweets crossovers so they overlap, say low pass the underseats at 300 hz and high pass the mids at 150. Then fade all the way to the front and put balance all the way to the right. Play a 200 hz tone so both the right mid and the right underseat will be playing the same frequency. Then move the right mid out in time till the highest db is heard at the drivers seat. Then set the left mid to the right mid by playing music with a strong center voice and move the left mid out in time to center the image.

So what you are asking is assuming you have a full aftermarket system...or at least amps since you mention crossovers....

If I follow you correctly I think your logic is solid but the underseats and the front speakers are usually on the same channel...or at least they are on the stock system.....you COULD put the underseats on the rear channels so you can time align them separately, that of course would take the cars rear speakers out of the equation (a good thing if you ask me) But frankly Im not sure that is necessary. The relative difference between the distance on the underseats and the mid is pretty minimal and would think fairly inaudible.

OR....on second thought....maybe I misunderstood you, maybe you have underseats on a separate amp and are running them off the sub output on the head unit? No trunk sub? If so then yes your method sounds correct in theory.....

I would recommend you just sit in the car with a tape measure, note the distance from each mid to your nose, set your furthest speaker at 0 and delay each speaker according to how much closer it is in cm. Then set the fader to the front and put on some music with a clear and centered vocal, listen to that vocal while adding and subtracting a little bit from one of the sides, it should sound pretty obvious as you move towards and away from the "sweet spot". Once you are satisfied with the center vocal fade back until you you are happy with the "rear fill".

Then play with the EQ to dial out any sounds that seem off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metblack328i View Post
Jeff mentioned that the cars with SoS will throw an error which indicates that the function of MOST adapter is not to replace the stock unit. I had an email conversation with him and he mentioned that depending on the dealers setup, either they can or cannot connect to the car.
probably a better question for the coding forum....I know a lot of guys are able to code things without the stock stereo in place....but some dealers say they cant do it, my assumption would be that its different machines with different software and different capabilities. But I know little about that so I should leave questions like this to the experts.

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-13-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0