E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Navi Business v's Professional

12-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
Rolly B
Rolly b
Rep
Drives: 325, BLACK, TERRA, ALU,158

Exclamation Navi Business v's Professional

Hi,

Can someone (not america your systems are all prof) tell me what is the difference between navi pro and business. Is there any way of activating map mode on the business version?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Business Nav is basically the same as professional nav, with four main exceptions.

1) No moving map display and there's no option to 'retrofit'

2) No split screen.

3) Because there is no map or split screen, the screen size is smaller. 6.5" for business and 8.8" for professional.

4) Professional Nav has 1 CD slot and 1 CD/DVD slot. Business nav only has the 1 CD/DVD slot

I have business nav as I couldn't really justify the extra €1,000 or so for professional.

Keep in mind though that for some options (such as TV funtion) you need Professional Nav.

I think that's basically it. There may be some other minor differences, but I can't remember them right now.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the DVD is different. There is one for Professional and one for Business and as far as I know you can't use a business nav DVD in a professional system and vice-versa.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 02:25 AM   #3
Rolly B
Rolly b
Rep
Drives: 325, BLACK, TERRA, ALU,158

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, joo...It was my mistake. I ordered long distance on the phone to an administrator.! and said I wanted sat nav - no one told me there was a difference. My wife has an xc90 with a fantastic sat nav system. Having recently moved to Stutty it would be very helpful to have the map view rather than just the arrows.
On the whole though I love my 325. Its my 4th Beemer. I reckon by the 10th I should be in an M5!

Heres hoping.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 04:59 AM   #4
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

So can the American models get the TV option installed? Because I simply do not have enough distractions as I'm hurtling down the Autobahn.

-Croaker
      12-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

The Business nav is actually technically better (albeit with less features). It boots a lot faster, crashes less, calculates faster and has WAY better FM reception. Itīs made by Harmann/Becker, one of the oldest and best manufacturers of mobile radios (and actually aviation navigation and communications equipment). The Prof Nav is made by Siemens (Or VDO or they may be the same, not sure), anyway by just another OEM and not good quality.

One feature the other posters forgot though: THe Professional Nav also comes with a better (force feedback) I-Drive controller.

I really wish, Becker made the Professional Nav. Then youīd really have a fine system.
      12-20-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
One feature the other posters forgot though: THe Professional Nav also comes with a better (force feedback) I-Drive controller.
I've never used the pro nav. What's this 'force feedback' iDrive controller??

EDIT: Rolly B, where in Stuttgart are you?

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
I've never used the pro nav. What's this 'force feedback' iDrive controller??
Itīll only be moveable / turnable into a direction where there actually is a menu item. when you are at the end of a menu, you wonīt be able to turn it further, itīll have a reistance.

The controller on the Business nav i-drive will allow you to turn it further and further while simply ignoring you input.
      12-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Itīll only be moveable / turnable into a direction where there actually is a menu item. when you are at the end of a menu, you wonīt be able to turn it further, itīll have a reistance.
Wow, that's pretty cool. And also good to know. I'm used to just giving the controller a spin when I need something down the end. If I ever used pro nav I'd probably end up breaking it.

Appreciate 0