E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dynavin D99

02-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #221
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbidetech
Is it possible to hack the WinCe OS and create a "desktop" similar to the home page of an Android unit? (yes, I know, why not just get the android then)

I used to have a cell phone that was WinCE based and it had apps and such similar to the Droid. It'd be cool to have a web browser but have the simplicity of the offline nav that WinCE provides.
If your unit is d99 I'll trade you my android
      02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #222
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnet2dboi View Post
uhh. so u dot like ur android? but i want one. lol.. but dynavin doesnt has the manual ac control unit, lol...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #223
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Simon, they will, just be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #224
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.bmw
Quote:
uhh. so u dot like ur android? but i want one. lol.. but dynavin doesnt has the manual ac control unit, lol...
For ease of use, I still recommend WinCE
      02-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #225
carbidetech
postaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Black Sapphire

Quote:
For ease of use, I still recommend WinCE
No android for me. My company has cracked down on our data usage while on the road so having a droid in my car would surely get me in hot water.

I got lucky when my first Dynavin had some hardware issues and had to go back. I took the opportunity to get a WinCE unit from Jeff and now it's sitting in my car - half installed. I need to get to work and will post back in an hour to give my first impressions.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #226
carbidetech
postaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Black Sapphire

Everything works except the OBC. I touch the icon and nothing happens??

The nav is Sygic and I really like how many options and settings there are. It loads fast and cold lock on is quick too. It's not as smooth as my Garmin 3790 but more than acceptable in regards to screen movement while the map is moving. I got sat. reception in my garage with the overhead door closed. I mounted mine under the center dash vent and sandwiched it between it and a round piece of plastic I cut to fit over the speaker opening. I do have a west facing window so...

The DVD player loads much faster than the d95.

The iPod interface sucks balls. Fake album art that doesn't move. It's basically a picture of album art overlaid on top of text menus. Use your fingernail tip or the stylus. My 4th Gen Touch sounded nice though.

I have not tried the USB yet or the SD card slot for MP3's and such.

The FM reception is just a little worse than the factory HU.

My Blackberry 9330 loaded the contacts without a hitch. It's still a pain to navigate through the phone book but if you go to the contact page itself and hit the "last called or last received" you'll be hitting 90% of the people you call there and dialing right there is just a touch of a button. Kinda cool.

The bluetooth works just fine. Not quite as clear as the OEM but darn close.

That's all I have for now but will post more as I dig in.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #227
foobar_666uk
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

I've just installed my DVN-E9X D99 with Android.

OBC - works OK, but information is hard to read (when driving) and limited. I really wanted to see more MPG information (per trip, total, average etc) but no. I am trying to find out if the iBus/CANBUS interface is shared between the Radio and Android - and then if so, are there are good Android Apps that can display better information?

The Phone module works great! The inbuilt Bluetooth module is ONLY available on the Radio side, not on Android. Although with a USB Passive HUB you can add a Bluetooth Adapter to enable Bluetooth in Android.

Phone Book is good that it pulls info from your phone, but VERY fiddly to select an entry (ESPECIALLY when driving) the top and bottom entries in the list are virtually impossible to select! Major flaw for me this one...

iPOD - not been able to test yet, as I had hoped it would use the Bluetooth to connect to the iPhone. But looks like this function only works with the supplied cable, which I was hoping not to install! Ggrr

Reverse sensors - Great! Love it, I love the visual display it gives. I found I had to enter a hidden system menu, disable the "Rear Camera" that I dont have connected to show the visual display of the car and sensors. If I am being picky I think the audible alert isnt as nice as the standard BMW one, if this could be changed id be happy

DVD - works as advertised

Radio - Yeah great, takes a while to tune all the stations in, but once done and saved, all good!

Steering Wheel controls - Radio up/down, Volume up/down thats about it, but better than nothing and not much less than what the standard BMW radio supported anyway!

AUX - Not tested yet

GPS - I have used the Navigation built into google, but found it does take an age to lock a GPS signal (sometimes 3-4 minutes!) I might need to relocate the antenna.
I also need to download an offline Nav so I dont have to rely on tethering my iphone to the stereo.

Android - Yes it has Android, connected to Wifi and works a charm. Got emails on the go, Sat Nav, Maps, Music etc As you would expect. Only thing im having problems with at the moment is that I dont get video in YouTube?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #228
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar_666uk View Post
I've just installed my DVN-E9X D99 with Android.

Phone Book is good that it pulls info from your phone, but VERY fiddly to select an entry (ESPECIALLY when driving) the top and bottom entries in the list are virtually impossible to select! Major flaw for me this one...

iPOD - not been able to test yet, as I had hoped it would use the Bluetooth to connect to the iPhone. But looks like this function only works with the supplied cable, which I was hoping not to install! Ggrr
If you are having trouble touching the top selection on the phone contacts list you can calibrate the screen by selecting AUX as the source and pressing 8 on the remote. Follow the onscreen prompts.

iphone will play via bluetooth, when blutooth mode is selected....not through the ipod interface, that is for the plug...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #229
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

If anyone local in San Diego wants to purchase a Dynavin E9X Dynavin Android unit, give me a holler. I can install for a small fee also
      02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #230
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Can anyone who installed the D99 on a Logic 7 car comment on the sound quality difference from stock? Does the center speaker do anything anymore? Is there still front/rear separation or only left/right?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #231
jeffb335
Rep

You can't install any aftermarket head unit if you have logic 7, it has fiber optic signal cables. The only way around it is to replace the logic 7 amp. Read the JBL MS-8 thread on this forum for more info than you ever wanted to know....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #232
Filler1981
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320dA 2009

about the shark fin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
I would like to proceed with the DIY you posted on my car for the Shark fin antenna to the Dynavin. I looked at your DIY and it appears very straightforward. I contacted my installer and told him the instructions. He doesn't understand how you connected the coaxial cable to the Dynavin itself. You say to use a Farka connector on both ends, but the Dynavin GPS input is a screw on connector like one would see on a cable TV coaxial, only smaller. So, we are confused about this...

Steve
Did you guys ever figure this one out?? After reading about some dynavin users having trouble with their GPS signals this sounded like a really good mod to resolve the problem!!
I just ordered the Dynavin D99 for my BMW and have had a lot of mixed feelings about it after reading about all the problems almost everyones having!
Anyway.. this thread has been a huge help preparing me for whats coming.. so a big thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #233
Filler1981
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320dA 2009

Quote:
Checkout my DIY on using Sharkfin GPS Antenna for better GPS reception
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643971
Me again...

Mabye its my english, but after checking my own car I realized that in this case (the quote) the car already has the Sharkfin antenna - mine doesn't! So I guess what Im asking is if its possible (or useful) to retrofit the Sharkfin antenna and use it with the Dynavin D99?? So basically I would buy a long enough antenna cord that i could hook up with the Sharkfin on the roof, and the other end to the Dynavin!!
As you might have noticed Im not an expert , and this might be a really stupid question, but still wanted to ask!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #234
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Hey Jeff any chance you could head over to the 1er forums to maybe help enlighten some of us 1er owner looking to get a dynavin?

Would be curious whether it is the same unit as found in the E46/E9X?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645076
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #235
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Hey Jeff any chance you could head over to the 1er forums to maybe help enlighten some of us 1er owner looking to get a dynavin?

Would be curious whether it is the same unit as found in the E46/E9X?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645076
I cant be on all the forums.....Im already as busy as I can be.... but yes, the E8X units are the same as the E46 etc... units, just very different cosmetically....obviously.....

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-15-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #236
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
I cant be on all the forums.....Im already as busy as I can be.... but yes, the E8X units are the same, just very different cosmetically....obviously.....
No harm in asking

Is technically still bimmerpost just a different subforum
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #237
jeffb335
Rep

yeah....but im not a sponsoring vendor here....im just a BMW enthusist and a 335 owner....so I dont really want to get into all the Q&A stuff here...besides its against forum rules for me to do any "commercial" posts on this forum.

I dont mind answering a few questions here and there to help out, but getting too involved with this stuff will get me booted.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #238
DetectiveLoki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

I was interested in the Dynavin until I read about the glare problem. Since I have an e93, that's going to create more glare problem huh? Plus I have logic 7...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #239
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
yeah....but im not a sponsoring vendor here....im just a BMW enthusist and a 335 owner....so I dont really want to get into all the Q&A stuff here...besides its against forum rules for me to do any "commercial" posts on this forum.

I dont mind answering a few questions here and there to help out, but getting too involved with this stuff will get me booted.
No worries all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
I was interested in the Dynavin until I read about the glare problem. Since I have an e93, that's going to create more glare problem huh? Plus I have logic 7...
As long as you dont drop your top is all good!

Last edited by RaihaX; 02-16-2012 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #240
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone wanna buy my unit?
      02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #241
DetectiveLoki
First Lieutenant
Rep