E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

07-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #485
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport - NOW SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpom23 View Post
I'm now a not so proud member of the cracked alloy club!

MOT failed on rear tyres and 3 cracks in OSR tyre.

Got the tyres replaced and rang local BMW dealer (same one as pjs) and the woman said they would do the run out test as they need it in order to submit a goodwill claim.

Is the run out test just for information gathering or will it form the basis for acceptance? If it's been damaged for any length of time it would be out of tolerance anyway wouldn't it?!

Has anyone had an alloy replaced that was out of tolerance?
I found out I was in the club yesterday too after going to get tyres replaced after MOT passed at BMW but they didnt pick up the 2 rear rears had cracked.

Booked in for this fob off test on Tuesday where I am fully expectant they well blind me with figures as to why they dont need to replace them, even though the car has Full BMW Service history, was bought by me as an approved used car and I even took it to BMW for its MOT, still in extended warranty also.

Will post an update following Tuesday.
NOW SOLD - Counting down to the M3 - E92 May 07' 335i M-Sport - Sapphire Black - Manual - Black Leather Interior - Heated Seats - Bluetooth Handsfree - BMW Performance Black Grill - 19's - Saying No to the Diesel Revolution!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #486
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Think you'll be fine, BMW said after watchdog they would replace independent of the test, so just stay calm and keep pushing
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #487
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Think you'll be fine, BMW said after watchdog they would replace independent of the test, so just stay calm and keep pushing
Thanks Jim...will certainly keep calm, shouting or getting angry will only make things worse.
NOW SOLD - Counting down to the M3 - E92 May 07' 335i M-Sport - Sapphire Black - Manual - Black Leather Interior - Heated Seats - Bluetooth Handsfree - BMW Performance Black Grill - 19's - Saying No to the Diesel Revolution!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #488
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

They know its an issue, some dealers are better than others but I think we should both be ok. I'll update on here tomorrow, mine is being dropped off in the morning.er
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #489
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They know its an issue, some dealers are better than others but I think we should both be ok. I'll update on here tomorrow, mine is being dropped off in the morning.er
Good luck

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #490
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update...

Dropped off this morning first thing and queried doing the run out test, despite me quoting BMWs corporate comms manager saying it would no longer happen they insisted it had to and that it would form the basis of their recommendation back to BMW.

Anyway, got a phonecall at lunch saying they had recommended to BMW that it should be replaced as a goodwill gesture but the Bracknell bods haven't confirmed yet so it will run into tomorrow now - hopefully there won't be a problem.

I'm still very keen to hear about those outside the tolerance who have successfully had theirs replaced at zero cost. I've not seen or heard anything to suggest that the quote from BMW has been superseded with new guidance and it's a pretty fundamental detail for all prospective claimants...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #491
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update...

Dropped off this morning first thing and queried doing the run out test, despite me quoting BMWs corporate comms manager saying it would no longer happen they insisted it had to and that it would form the basis of their recommendation back to BMW.

Anyway, got a phonecall at lunch saying they had recommended to BMW that it should be replaced as a goodwill gesture but the Bracknell bods haven't confirmed yet so it will run into tomorrow now - hopefully there won't be a problem.

I'm still very keen to hear about those outside the tolerance who have successfully had theirs replaced at zero cost. I've not seen or heard anything to suggest that the quote from BMW has been superseded with new guidance and it's a pretty fundamental detail for all prospective claimants...
well thats good news at least...

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #492
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

BMW have now authorised so the new wheel is being put on and given I can't get it until later they are going to sort out my seatbelt extenders too so a good result.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #493
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update - Both alloys within tolerance and gesture of goodwill request made to BMW UK today. Hopeful of good news in the morning.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #494
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMW agreed to pay for the new alloys, but wouldnt budge on the £175 labour charge. Spoke to BMW UK but the they wouldnt change the decision re the labor and didnt want to push so just settled on paying that.

Not the worst result as the alloys were the expensive element but still feel slightly annoyed because its down to a design and manufacture fault that I need the labour but there you go.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #495
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

Anyone had the wheel replaced AND tyre foc? I had to pay 50% of my tyre costs BMW insisted that the tyre was defective and that I must have ran it on flat....which I didnt btw lowest pressure it ran on was 26psi for 3 miles or thereabouts and I topped up with my compressor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #496
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Sooo, I mentioned earlier and else where that my OS rear wheel had two hairline cracks. I didn't have the funds at the the time to pay for replacements just incase BMW decided its not their fault so I continued on for a while. Two days ago the flat tire inflator came on twice in 24 hours but I couldn't find ad issue and carried on. Even after going through the re-check process with the idrive the car didn't indicate something was wrong.

This morning I came out to find my run flat looked flat. So I assuming the hair line crack is now much wider.

Just booked it into BMW for tomorrow and I've have been told that they'll require an upfront payment for a new wheel whilst they send my current ones off to be checked. If it is found to be faulty my money will be refunded.
Does that sound about right to you? Or am I being setup to pay something that they have no intentions of refunding?

Edit :£68 for the run out test which could be refunded.
And £535 for a new rim if I need!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #497
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbsBmth View Post
BMW agreed to pay for the new alloys, but wouldnt budge on the £175 labour charge. Spoke to BMW UK but the they wouldnt change the decision re the labor and didnt want to push so just settled on paying that.

Not the worst result as the alloys were the expensive element but still feel slightly annoyed because its down to a design and manufacture fault that I need the labour but there you go.
Chubbs did you go to Wood?

I don't ever find them particuarly helpful and not surprised about the labour charge!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #498
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

I have a follow up for you.

After a bit of confusion about how the process was going to be handled, when I went to drop the car off this morning it turned out that I wouldn't have to pay for the runout test and better yet it would be a '45 min job done right there on the premises.
9 times out of 10 the wheel is replaced via warranty and they have loads of replacements in stock. Also the replacement batch of wheels are made elsewhere and wont be the same type that were originally fitted on the cars'.

Sure enough 9 hours later I was given a replacement rear wheel with the same tire fitted on FOC.
No receipts or documents to show this but was told it would be logged on my cars record.
So I guess I'm happy, I'm a hard guy to please. Lets see if the other 3 wheels develop any problems.
Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #499
ChubbsBmth
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
Chubbs did you go to Wood?

I don't ever find them particuarly helpful and not surprised about the labour charge!!
Yes the one in Wallisdown. Never been huge fans of them myself either.

Silly things like that cant seem to write to the correct person in our household, always address letters to my dad, yet it me and my mum who own BMW's.

Never found the service great either...hence why I didnt even really look at them when buying my BMW and used another BMW dealer.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #500
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbsBmth View Post
Yes the one in Wallisdown. Never been huge fans of them myself either.

Silly things like that cant seem to write to the correct person in our household, always address letters to my dad, yet it me and my mum who own BMW's.

Never found the service great either...hence why I didnt even really look at them when buying my BMW and used another BMW dealer.
When I was looking I popped in to see if they had anything or could source anything. They kept telling me I wanted an auto not manual, I started to wonder who the customer actually was!!

I won't be using them for servicing or anything. I think its worthgoing the extra mile to Scotthall....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #501
ArsE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Just thought I'd add that my 335i went in for MOT last week and failed on a 'hairline crack' to one of the rear rims (230 wheels). Went through the usual run-out test and the wheel was apparently within the tolerances for BMW to foot the bill.

They didn't foot the bill for two new rear tyres however.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #502
Mole
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Coupe E92

Thumbs up

I thought I would share my positive experience with a company in Swinetown, sorry Swindon , who provided an excellent service repairing my rear cracked alloy and fitting a replacement run flat tyre in short notice.

http://www.platinumwheelrefurb.com charged £390 inc vat that included repairing the rear alloy and fitting a new Potenza 255 30 R19 RFT.

Out of interest, has anyone had any success taking on the local highway authorities from cracked alloys as a result of the unacceptable state of the roads?

To date I have personally been on the receiving end of 2 x cracked rear alloys and a split front tyre to the tune of £1500. Oxfordshire CC refused to pay out, a decision that I am challenging.

Onwards and upwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #503
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

Just a general question, if an alloy cracks and we get it repaired/replaced, do we 'have' to fit a brand new tyre to the alloy?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #504
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon88 View Post
Just a general question, if an alloy cracks and we get it repaired/replaced, do we 'have' to fit a brand new tyre to the alloy?
As long as the tire is in good shape you shouldn't have to. Just know that if the wheel cracked and you got it repaired the structure of the wheel won't be as strong as it originally was.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #505
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@sonictuning View Post
As long as the tire is in good shape you shouldn't have to. Just know that if the wheel cracked and you got it repaired the structure of the wheel won't be as strong as it originally was.
Cheers I thought so as well.

As I read a lot about people getting BMW to replace the alloys FOC under goodwill, but having to fork out for new tyres themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #506
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you're using runflats they're very easy to damage if they're taken off and then back on to a wheel.
Appreciate 0