Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


The Tire Rack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Widest possible Rear Wheel setup



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2018, 01:43 AM   #23
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
You can fit wider tire. However wider does not equal more traction. Use contact patch calculator to compare the tire sizes that you know fit.
I am trying to fit wider tire without the need of fender rolling, and that I found would be the 18x10 et44 with 285 tire in the rear.

Why wouldn't wider tire offer better traction?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #24
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN54NITY View Post
^^^^This. I completely agree with Socket. I run 265 at all four corners (for many years now) so that I can get a little better longevity with rotating all 4. I like how 265 up front drastically reduces understeer. I dont think 275 up front would fit...
I want to fit 285 in the rear only, because I am at 450/480 currently and I struggle with traction on some road surfaces. Up front, I would stick to around 255.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2556
Rep
6,430
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
I am trying to fit wider tire without the need of fender rolling, and that I found would be the 18x10 et44 with 285 tire in the rear.

Why wouldn't wider tire offer better traction?
Because of physics. 275/35 will have 272cm/2 and 285/30 will have 264cm/2 contact patch. So which will have better traction? Use tire patch calculator if you want to compare tire sizes you intend to use.
Appreciate 1
LMB335IS884.50

      09-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #26
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2556
Rep
6,430
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
I want to fit 285 in the rear only, because I am at 450/480 currently and I struggle with traction on some road surfaces. Up front, I would stick to around 255.
Use better tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #27
bizzleb109
Private First Class
12
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i convertible
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: essex

iTrader: (0)

I have 20" Mk Motorsports alloys on my car front are 9.5j and rears are 10.5 j no rubbing with 275/30/20 tyres
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #28
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Because of physics. 275/35 will have 272cm/2 and 285/30 will have 264cm/2 contact patch. So which will have better traction? Use tire patch calculator if you want to compare tire sizes you intend to use.
who even talked about 275/35?

My current set up is 255/35 on 18x8.5 with 250 cm^2 contact patch
The one I am considering is 285/30 on 18x10 with 284 cm^2 contact patch

This clearly is an improvement of 13.6%
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #29
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Use better tires.
I am running Yokohama AD08R and they are great, but on some road surfaces, it is still not enough. This tire is great in the rain so I am not considering switching to a different tire brand as this wasn't the point of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #30
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2556
Rep
6,430
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
who even talked about 275/35?

My current set up is 255/35 on 18x8.5 with 250 cm^2 contact patch
The one I am considering is 285/30 on 18x10 with 284 cm^2 contact patch

This clearly is an improvement of 13.6%
Dude you didn't know why narrower tire might have bigger contact patch than wider tire thus offering more traction and you lecture me now? OK! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #31
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Dude you didn't know why narrower tire might have bigger contact patch than wider tire thus offering more traction and you lecture me now? OK! lol
How do you know I didn't know that narrower tire might have a bigger contact patch? Not might have actually, could have. If you decide to go with a different tire height.

I am trying to keep the same overall wheel diameter, so the only option is to go wider. I am not trying to go taller. It is not lecturing, but you didn't know what tire I used and told me to use the calculator.

I did use the calculator, and the desired tire size does have a bigger contact patch than my current setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #32
joshe92
Captain
joshe92's Avatar
60
Rep
785
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Detroit, MI

iTrader: (-1)

this is the key
Attached Images
File Type: pdf XI Staggered Tire Calculation Tables.pdf (376.2 KB, 10 views)
__________________
E92 335i MSport Sapphire black: // aFe intake // Remus quad // AR Downpipe // MHD // BMW PPK // Alpina B3 Flash // Vrsf 5" Stepped Intercooler and Chargepipe // High Kick Spoiler // Gloss Black Grill // DD Gloss black Diffuser // OEM painted reflectors

Future mods (WTB): // ST Coilovers for Xi //
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #33
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2556
Rep
6,430
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
How do you know I didn't know that narrower tire might have a bigger contact patch?
Re read what you wrote in post #23
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:23 AM   #34
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Re read what you wrote in post #23
Wider tire while keeping the overall tire diameter
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #35
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2556
Rep
6,430
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
Wider tire while keeping the overall tire diameter
You mention diametar for the first time in post #31. You have been asking about the widest tire possible that will fit without rubbing and requiring fender rolling. Otherwise I was never going to confront you about contact patch.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #36
Expert@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Expert@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
629
Rep
3,742
Posts


Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Lots of valid points in this thread. While 18x10" is definitely doable as a rear fitment, we recommend ET33 since it will fit 265/35-18 without any modification, and 275/35-18 with only a moderate fender roll. 285/35-18 has been done as well, but may require a bit more fender persuasion.

However, we only produce that offset in our EC-7 and SM-10 designs, not the ARC-8 design in the OP.

As stated previously, the 18x10" ET25 can probably work, but would require compromises in terms of tire width and fender appearance.

Here are some shots showing the 18x10" ET33 rear fitment:

Front: 189″ ET30 SM-10 wheels with 235/40-18 Toyo R888 Tires
Rear: 1810″ ET33 SM-10 wheels with 265/35-18 Toyo R888 Tires





Front: 18x9" ET31 EC-7 wheels with 255/35/18 Toyo R888 tires
Rear: 18x10" ET33 EC-7 wheels with 265/35/18 Toyo R888 tires



If you're interested, check out our fitment guide as well for some helpful info on what can be done, and what mods are required to go wider : https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide


--Dylan
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #37
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

as I am calculating with the 18x10" ET43 APEX EC-7 with 285/30 r18 is like I would run a 14mm spacer(I am currently running 18x8.5 et38 BBS RC303 255/35 r18), which would probably require a very small amount of fender roll. and the inner lip of the rim would move 24 millimeters in, which should still clear the suspension am I right?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #38
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post

Here are some shots showing the 18x10" ET33 rear fitment


--Dylan
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #39
Expert@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Expert@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
629
Rep
3,742
Posts


Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
as I am calculating with the 18x10" ET43 APEX EC-7 with 285/30 r18 is like I would run a 14mm spacer(I am currently running 18x8.5 et38 BBS RC303 255/35 r18), which would probably require a very small amount of fender roll. and the inner lip of the rim would move 24 millimeters in, which should still clear the suspension am I right?
The 18x10" ET43 is unfortunately no longer in production for the time being. This leaves the options of either finding them on the used market or using the 18x10" ET33. There won't be any suspension clearance issues in the rear with that offset, and we've seen up to a 295/30-18 tire mounted on the rear of a pre-LCI E90 with just rolled fenders and negative camber.


Front: 18x9" ET42 with 12mm spacers, front tire size unknown
Rear: 18x10" ET43 with 10mm spacers 295/30-18 and rolled fenders
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #40
keninger
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
The 18x10" ET43 is unfortunately no longer in production for the time being.
To be honest, I was only looking for 18x10 with high ET like 43, are you planning on a new design or any rim that will have this high ET with 10" rim width in the future? ET33 is only like 10 mm more to the side than ET43, but I am still hoping for a high ET rim.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #41
Expert@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Expert@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
629
Rep
3,742
Posts


Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninger View Post
To be honest, I was only looking for 18x10 with high ET like 43, are you planning on a new design or any rim that will have this high ET with 10" rim width in the future? ET33 is only like 10 mm more to the side than ET43, but I am still hoping for a high ET rim.
We don't have immediate plans to produce that size again, but anything is possible, and if we do see significant demand for a high-offset 10" wheel, we may be able to put it back into production.

--Dylan
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #42
b92
Lieutenant
b92's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
423
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 335is, 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Rhode Island

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
We don't have immediate plans to produce that size again, but anything is possible, and if we do see significant demand for a high-offset 10" wheel, we may be able to put it back into production.

--Dylan
Been struggling in my search for the right 19x10 with an offset around 35-40. I was really disappointed when you released the sizes for the new 19" SM-10 and left out an option for E9X LCI. The only option we have to run those wheels is the 19x9 squared.
__________________
2011 E92 335is, Space Grey + Coral Red, 6MT.
Mod list for diagnostic purposes: JB4+MHD BEF, 17psi. BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Street FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DPs. NGK plugs gapped 0.022", Delphi S55 coils. 93 octane unless noted otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #43
Expert@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Expert@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
629
Rep
3,742
Posts


Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Been struggling in my search for the right 19x10 with an offset around 35-40. I was really disappointed when you released the sizes for the new 19" SM-10 and left out an option for E9X LCI. The only option we have to run those wheels is the 19x9 squared.
Although we don't have those sizes at the moment, we do have a 19x9.5" ET33 and 19x10" ET33 SM-10 on the schedule for early to mid next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #44
b92
Lieutenant
b92's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
423
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 335is, 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Rhode Island

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Although we don't have those sizes at the moment, we do have a 19x9.5" ET33 and 19x10" ET33 SM-10 on the schedule for early to mid next year.
yessssssss. I think that 19x10et33 will be perfect, I'll have to hold out until then!
__________________
2011 E92 335is, Space Grey + Coral Red, 6MT.
Mod list for diagnostic purposes: JB4+MHD BEF, 17psi. BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Street FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DPs. NGK plugs gapped 0.022", Delphi S55 coils. 93 octane unless noted otherwise.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST