E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Replacement silicone wiper blade inserts?

09-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Replacement silicone wiper blade inserts?

Just realized I need to pass inspection within two weeks. I do need new wipers.

Do I:

a) get factory ones from getbmwparts (I work local) - mine is a 2009 though IIRC the ones from the dealership no longer are the same?
b) order Valeo Ultimate ones off Amazon (18" and 24" yes?) which I've done the last two times and have worked perfectly
c) order PIAA silicone ones (I had PIAA blades on my last two company cars and was impressed, they weren't available for the E92 last time I needed new blades)
d) dark horse: looks like on eBay you can get just the blade insert for 99 cents and it is supposed to be silicone rubber? I'd be all over that but it seems like they come straight from China. Anyone tried these, and how do they compare with Valeo or PIAA?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Bosch Icon OE blades. Fit perfectly, match BMW originals.
      09-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Bosch Icon OE blades. Fit perfectly, match BMW originals.
Mine is a 2009 - earlier style wiper blades - I never got the updated covers from BMW. Valeo are an exact match for that style.

I went ahead and ordered the PIAAs last night; I hope they work. I was going to try to get my inspection done on Friday assuming the hurricane doesn't close everything down and Amazon couldn't get me the Valeos in time. Guess I'll let someone else be the guinea pic for the eBay refills.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So follow up. The PIAA blades pissed me off because they came with a bunch of little cryptic adapters and I basically had to call up instructions on their web site on my phone to figure out how to make them work on my car. Also, they aren't as low profile as the Valeo blades because they do use adapters, and they look kinda clunky although the stock covers do still fit. Finally, the pass side runs off the windshield a little bit, I guess the hole is not quite in the exact center of the blades. Here ends the complaint section of this post.

I did deep clean my windshield (dish soap, acetone, barkeeper's friend, then more dish soap finally Windex) and used the PIAA prep thingy. Working fine. If they last as long as the PIAA "Super Silicone" blades that I used to use on my company cars, they're well worth it because I think they were like $20 more than the Valeo blades, I think the last set was on there two years and they were well past their best before date because I don't hardly drive the car anymore. I think I had the PIAAs longer than my first company car because I moved them to the next car when I got it (both were Impalas, different generations, but they used the same wipers) So even if they are annoying, if you can put up with them being a little less sleek than the stock ones these are a win.

In other news, I remember when my car was shiny and new. I think it's time to pull the wiper arms and Krylon them however.

Oh yeah and I showed up at the shop at 8:30, passed both safety and emissions, drove down the street to the DMV, renewed my registration, and was getting back in the car to go to work by 9:15. Amazing and unbelievable.

Last edited by N8N; 09-14-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0