E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > Stuttgart Questions

01-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Stuttgart Questions

I am seeking to leverage the power of E90post. After 18 years of military service the Army has finally decided to send me to Europe

I have some questions..if any members are currently in Germany...I know there are.

1. How many vehicles are authorized shipment from CONUS?

2. What is the housing situation like in the Stuttgart area? Can I expect to live off post or on post? Does the service member have an option to live on the economy?

3. Pets///If you came from CONUS with pets how did you do it? Any tips that can make the transition easier?

4. Non Concurent Travel? Is it advisable to have me move forward first then have my family members join me a few weeks later? Or, can we all move as one happy (a relative term when PCSing) unit?

5. Silly question...is there an active BMW club in the Stuttgart area? I assume it's like being an Aggie & living in Austin.

Thanks
      01-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
I am seeking to leverage the power of E90post. After 18 years of military service the Army has finally decided to send me to Europe

I have some questions..if any members are currently in Germany...I know there are.

1. How many vehicles are authorized shipment from CONUS?

Army pays for 1

2. What is the housing situation like in the Stuttgart area? Can I expect to live off post or on post? Does the service member have an option to live on the economy?

My buddy at SOCEUR on Patch Barracks lives on post, but in what they call "Stairwell". Its basically a glorified apartment building. Its not bad, but can be tough if you have a few kids. You can live in private rental, but not living in Stuttgart, I can't give you the low down.

3. Pets///If you came from CONUS with pets how did you do it? Any tips that can make the transition easier?

USDA paperwork is required. Rabies shot w/in a certain period of time. Bragg Vet should know what you need. Double check though because I had problems with paperwork and the Rabies vax. Ours traveled with us as cargo underneath the plane. I would suggest that when you get your tickets, travel United Codeshare on Lufthansa, they treat dogs great, last things on, first things off.

4. Non Concurent Travel? Is it advisable to have me move forward first then have my family members join me a few weeks later? Or, can we all move as one happy (a relative term when PCSing) unit?

As long as your orders say concurrent travel authorized and list them by name, you're good to go. I personally would go as one happy family, but that's really up to you. You can get into a house quick, or be in lodging for 30 days, just depends on time of year, etc. You have 90 days to find quarters.

5. Silly question...is there an active BMW club in the Stuttgart area? I assume it's like being an Aggie & living in Austin.

I live in Graf and have been trying to figure out if any one meets up or anything, but haven't found anything. I'm planning on making a trip to the Nurburgring in the spring time and I thought it'd be cool have a convoy and make some runs.

If you have more questions, PM me, I'll give you my ako. I was as Bragg and made an 8 month trip through Leonard Wood before I got here. You'll get an email with a sponsor though. They should be able to help you if they don't suck. Bad thing about moving to Baden-Wurttemburg....Bier im Bayern dominates, its grown man stuff
Thanks
Hope that helps.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the tips...especially on Lufthansa.

I have found several websites for BMW driving clubs in Germany. Although the sites are in German Google transltater has the translations about 92 % accurate.

I have to slim the stable down. Either the X3 or the E90 goes up on the auction block back at Bragg. I am leaning towards keeping the E90 eventhough it has more miles and is out of warranty because it's a blast to drive and gets better mileage. The X3 might be easier to unload as it still has a warrarnty for 2 more years including the maintenance plan.

My baby E30 will stay with my in-laws. The plan is to purchase my M3 at some point in the future while there

Is it advisable to invest in a snow tire package for Stuttgart?
      01-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Snow tires or all-seasons with M+S ratings are required in Germany. Personally, I'd bring the E90, the X3 isn't that much bigger and you'll enjoy the 330 on the roads more. Warranty doesn't matter because even US Spec cars have only 2 years of warranty in Europe and the balance (PCS dependent) when you go back to the states. I don't think it transfers the other way around. M3's through the military sales program are cheap (relatively speaking) ~60k fully loaded is what I've seen. Including Navi and tech package. I just couldn't justify it right now, especially with 15 mpg city and $3.20/gal for premium. If they go to a F/I M3, I may just be making a trade in after the deployment.

Also, right outside Patch Barracks is the only Porsche military sales place, if you want to go to the dark side.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0