E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery Issue due to extreme cold? Not sure. Please help?

01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
nrrm1127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i SG/SB

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
Question Battery Issue due to extreme cold? Not sure. Please help?

Hey Everyone -

Here in NY we've been getting some extremely cold temps (for NY) and snow to go with them. I first noticed 2 weeks ago that my car wasn't turning on the tail lights and angel eyes like it usually does when I unlock the car - I double checked the setting in the stalk menu and it's set correctly (lights on when I unlock). Additionally, pulling on the turn signal stalk would not leave the headlights on with the engine off like it usually does (I have a very dark driveway and sometimes use the time delay feature after I get out of my car to light up where I'm walking in case of ice). As soon as temperatures warmed up a bit the following week everything returned to normal and the exterior lighting would once again light up when I unlocked the car.

Now it is once again super cold in NY for the next few days (with seemingly no end in sight) and once again the car is not activating exterior lighting. Same as two weeks ago, only the door handle lights are illuminating and the interior lighting. Is this related to a battery problem? Does the car turn off the exterior lighting (aside from the door handles) to preserve the battery in some way in super cold temperatures? The car is 2011 E90 328i with around 30,200 miles on it. Thoughts?

One other item - I've been getting the low battery warning for the key fob and was wondering if the Comfort Access keys also charge in the ignition like the non-Comfort Access keys do? I've been trying to leave the key in the ignition which seems to cure it for a few days, but then the warning light for the key battery returns. The car is still under warranty so I can have it replaced. Thanks!

- Ross
      01-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

I don't think comfort access keys charge - they have a replaceable battery like a normal key fob. Search the DIY on here, it's really easy.

As for your lights, it's very possible that your battery is struggling with the cold. There's a lot of extra strain on your battery in the cold - more amps to start the engine, more accessories on (heated seats, blower running on high etc). And if your commute is less than 20mins, you're probably not charging your battery fully either.

In the mornings on a cold start on extremely cold days my radio doesn't work (amp doesn't turn on).
I've heard that if the battery voltage is low it can limit some power-hungry features until the voltage gets up to normal. This could be a myth though, not sure.

Try going for a good long drive if you don't usually, charging it with a trickle charger, or maybe invest in a battery blanket/heater. Works like a block heater for your battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Yes in this very cold weather, the welcome lights will not work. The battery converves itself to make sure the car starts. Once the temps warm up above 30 and you drive the car to charge the battery, everything should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
Hey Everyone -

Here in NY we've been getting some extremely cold temps (for NY) and snow to go with them. I first noticed 2 weeks ago that my car wasn't turning on the tail lights and angel eyes like it usually does when I unlock the car - I double checked the setting in the stalk menu and it's set correctly (lights on when I unlock). Additionally, pulling on the turn signal stalk would not leave the headlights on with the engine off like it usually does (I have a very dark driveway and sometimes use the time delay feature after I get out of my car to light up where I'm walking in case of ice). As soon as temperatures warmed up a bit the following week everything returned to normal and the exterior lighting would once again light up when I unlocked the car.

Now it is once again super cold in NY for the next few days (with seemingly no end in sight) and once again the car is not activating exterior lighting. Same as two weeks ago, only the door handle lights are illuminating and the interior lighting. Is this related to a battery problem? Does the car turn off the exterior lighting (aside from the door handles) to preserve the battery in some way in super cold temperatures? The car is 2011 E90 328i with around 30,200 miles on it. Thoughts?

One other item - I've been getting the low battery warning for the key fob and was wondering if the Comfort Access keys also charge in the ignition like the non-Comfort Access keys do? I've been trying to leave the key in the ignition which seems to cure it for a few days, but then the warning light for the key battery returns. The car is still under warranty so I can have it replaced. Thanks!

- Ross
Before you start your car, try to go into the hidden menu in the Kombi and look at the battery voltage before cranking the motor. I've noticed that in the summer time I'm around 12v... in the recent winter mornings I've as low as 10.8v but the car still fires right up on my 11/2007 build car with 79k miles (still original battery).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

yeah every bimmer I've owned has done this when it gets too cold.

Last night it was around -2f and my 2013 even did it. I got an increased battery discharge warning light and none of the lights came on when I unlocked it.
      01-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Comfort Access keys do not charge, you have to replace the button battery in the key. I do mine about once a year.

The car will shut off accessories to conserve power, when my car sits outside, the welcome lights don't work and the comfort access sometimes doesn't work either.

Sometimes you might get a message "increased battery discharge" also.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Comfort Access keys do not charge, you have to replace the button battery in the key. I do mine about once a year.

The car will shut off accessories to conserve power, when my car sits outside, the welcome lights don't work and the comfort access sometimes doesn't work either.

Sometimes you might get a message "increased battery discharge" also.
I've only had to get the battery in the CA key fob replaced once at about the 3.5 year mark (dealer did it for free). Now in the cold temps I'm getting the same key battery symbol in the car sometimes... time to buy some more batteries and bring it to the dealership when I do my next oil change. I think it's a little over kill to change that battery every year tho
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

I agree its over kill every 3yrs is about right. Nice question OP I didn't know that car conserves power in cold temps.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
nrrm1127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i SG/SB

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
Thank you everyone for these really valuable answers!
      01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
I agree its over kill every 3yrs is about right. Nice question OP I didn't know that car conserves power in cold temps.
Yup, once the IBS sense that the battery may not have enough charge based on your driving habits... It starts to force off electrical consumers. Loss on the time/date, ext/int lights not coming on, seat warmers not coming on, rear defroster not working, etc... These are your tell tail signs.
Appreciate 0