E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

12-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #309
Kaz26
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Alpinweiß Sedan

I'm curious why you can't just buy the 7.1 version and then update it to 8.1.

Also, I don't hear many people stating how glad they are to have gone with this unit. Can someone please break down the pros and cons and maybe difficulties during install or things that needed to be corrected during or after install?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #310
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

So I just bought this unit...the 10.25 e9x AVIN

For those owners or even the owners of the 8.8 idrive version can you please chime in?

1.) Does this unit have mirroring capabilities, some reviews says it does but I'm not sure.

2.) How does Airplay work? It advertises Airplay, is that same as mirroring?

3.) If it actually does mirroring or Airplay, why would you need iphone carplay adapter?

4.) I did not buy a Map, which is the best offline map to use?

5.) I have a authentic iGo sd map card on my other e91, can I copy and use on my other e91 avin unit? Probably not due to licensing, is it worth it to buy a map card? $50 seems kind of steep on avin's site as you can get maps for $15-20 on eBay or apparently people are downloading them?

Not sure what to do, if it can mirror my iphone or if airplay works, I don't need a map card, right? Theoretically I can just mirror my phone's map app, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #311
Mavverick
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Just wanted to chime in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
So I just bought this unit...the 10.25 e9x AVIN

For those owners or even the owners of the 8.8 idrive version can you please chime in?

1.) Does this unit have mirroring capabilities, some reviews says it does but I'm not sure.

The 8.8 version does have mirroring capability.

2.) How does Airplay work? It advertises Airplay, is that same as mirroring?

The unit uses airplay mirroring.

3.) If it actually does mirroring or Airplay, why would you need iphone carplay adapter?

You do not need the iphone adapter for airplay mirroring as it only supports mirroring for iphone over wifi. USB mirroring for Android capability

4.) I did not buy a Map, which is the best offline map to use?

I'd suggest you just buy the iphone adapter and use CarPlay for offline maps. Download the area you are going to be driving in Google Maps. Mirroring works but hasn't been super reliable for me. CarPlay has worked pretty flawlessly, aside from the one issue of my iDrive knob not being able to select whatever I have highlighted. I would treat the CarPlay side as a touchscreen only mode.

5.) I have a authentic iGo sd map card on my other e91, can I copy and use on my other e91 avin unit? Probably not due to licensing, is it worth it to buy a map card? $50 seems kind of steep on avin's site as you can get maps for $15-20 on eBay or apparently people are downloading them?

Not sure what to do, if it can mirror my iphone or if airplay works, I don't need a map card, right? Theoretically I can just mirror my phone's map app, right?
Also, I asked a few posts back, but it looks like some people are able to press the iDrive knob to select whatever is highlighted within CarPlay. Does anyone have any insight as to how to get this working? Is this a hardware or software issue? Would using a different CarPlay adapter or CarPlay software help?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #312
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Mavverick

Thanks for the reply! The mirroring, how does it work? When you say wifi, are you using your own wifi hotspot off of your phone? Or does the unit give off a wifi signal and you connect to the unit's signal?

I bought a iphone carplay adapter off of eBay, but who knows when it'll arrive as it's from China. I couldn't stomach the fact of paying 100+ for the adapter through AVIN, as it seems like they are price gouging all of their accessories on their site. I also bought the rear view cam off of eBay too and i'll had success with all of the chinese eBay cams for years and years since the e39/e46 days and multiple e9xs, that cam only costs a fraction of the price AVIN is charging...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #313
Mavverick
Rep

You'll need to connect to a wifi network for mirroring to work. Haven't tested with my hotspot yet, but works when connected to my home wifi.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #314
Marcin8690
Rep
Drives: BME E90, 320D, N47

Czy ktoś może udostępnić link do najnowszego oprogramowania dla systemu Android dla wersji ccc na E60 / E90?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #315
rshames
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavverick View Post

Also, I asked a few posts back, but it looks like some people are able to press the iDrive knob to select whatever is highlighted within CarPlay. Does anyone have any insight as to how to get this working? Is this a hardware or software issue? Would using a different CarPlay adapter or CarPlay software help?
I was able to use the key learning function in the AutoPlay app to program it to recognize pushing the idrive knob to the left. I would prefer pressing down, but couldn't get it to recognize that. So pushing to the left at least lets me use the idrive knob for CarPlay. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #316
Mavverick
Rep

@Rshames appreciate the response here. I would primarily be using the knob to hit the next song button in CarPlay. I would be able to program this to iDrive knob to the right yeah?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #317
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:

As far as the adapters go, I can confirm that with the AutoPlay adapter, you can scroll to highlight different items. Then, you can enter a secret menu and assign the leftward knob press to select the item. (the process to enter the secret menu is somewhere in this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...500481&page=64)

This solution has been excellent for me.

For the record, there are effectively two CarPlay adapters, one that uses software called AutoPlay and one that use software called AutoKit. There are numerous companies selling one or the other under varying brand names, but the APK is what drives it. I have both and have been partial to the AutoPlay dongle because they have been regularly updating and improving it.

The only thing I don't know is if there is any dependency on the version of iDrive or whether it's CCC or CIC. The CIC system being newer, I would imagine is fully compatible with scrolling via AutoPlay. Not so sure about the oldest version of CCC iDrive. I believe there were effectively two version of iDrive used with the e90 CCC system. I have the CCC system, but the newer version of iDrive. I actually swapped my one button controller out for the multi-button controller from the CIC system and it works out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #318
Mavverick
Rep

@toddyus just to confirm, the secret menu you are referring to is within the Autoplay app? Or the 1314 secret menu on Android side?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #319
rshames
Registered
Rep

Quote:
@Rshames appreciate the response here. I would primarily be using the knob to hit the next song button in CarPlay. I would be able to program this to iDrive knob to the right yeah?
No, apparently only the left press is programmable, so I programmed it the select function. So you will spin the knob to highlight what you want to select, then push the knob to the left to select.
If you goto the AutoPlay app without a phone connected, there is a settings button in the upper left of the display. Then in the upper right, there is a help button that will explain how to get to the secret menu. Once in the secret menu, there is a key learning function. Press the Select button on the screen, then push the knob to the left twice.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #320
Mavverick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
As far as the adapters go, I can confirm that with the AutoPlay adapter, you can scroll to highlight different items. Then, you can enter a secret menu and assign the leftward knob press to select the item. (the process to enter the secret menu is somewhere in this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...500481&page=64)

This solution has been excellent for me.

For the record, there are effectively two CarPlay adapters, one that uses software called AutoPlay and one that use software called AutoKit. There are numerous companies selling one or the other under varying brand names, but the APK is what drives it. I have both and have been partial to the AutoPlay dongle because they have been regularly updating and improving it.

The only thing I don't know is if there is any dependency on the version of iDrive or whether it's CCC or CIC. The CIC system being newer, I would imagine is fully compatible with scrolling via AutoPlay. Not so sure about the oldest version of CCC iDrive. I believe there were effectively two version of iDrive used with the e90 CCC system. I have the CCC system, but the newer version of iDrive. I actually swapped my one button controller out for the multi-button controller from the CIC system and it works out of the box.
I have the newer CCC iDrive system. Great info regarding swapping out the controller, was thinking of doing this.

I have a dongle that uses the AutoKit app, which has been updated pretty regularly as well (latest update was 11.18). Only problem is when trying to get into the secret menu by pressing the version number a password field pops up. Any idea what this password could be?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #321
rshames
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I have the newer CCC iDrive system. Great info regarding swapping out the controller, was thinking of doing this.

I have a dongle that uses the AutoKit app, which has been updated pretty regularly as well (latest update was 11.18). Only problem is when trying to get into the secret menu by pressing the version number a password field pops up. Any idea what this password could be?
Hmmmm. I don't get that. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #322
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

im going to get one of these in a few months, but ive been wondering, is it really worth getting through avin if they're the same units you find on aliexpress?

its easier to return to avin if it arrives defective, but aside that, does avin put out fixes/patches or updates that you wouldn't normally find? Or does their tech support provide anything special that you couldn't find on this forum or a google search?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #323
rshames
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
im going to get one of these in a few months, but ive been wondering, is it really worth getting through avin if they're the same units you find on aliexpress?

its easier to return to avin if it arrives defective, but aside that, does avin put out fixes/patches or updates that you wouldn't normally find? Or does their tech support provide anything special that you couldn't find on this forum or a google search?
I ordered through Avin and wouldn't again. They did provide some useful documentation but the support was non-existent. if I were to do it again, I would have ordered elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
bob.g21.00
      12-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #324
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Has anyone bought the same unit off of ali express or anywhere else. I see a canadian 4x4 site selling them and saying people sell fakes with lesser android versions etc. Also, is sound quality just as good as say plugging your phone into the aux? How is bluetooth call quality?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #325
bmuum3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1998 M3/4 ---> 2010 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
Has anyone bought the same unit off of ali express or anywhere else. I see a canadian 4x4 site selling them and saying people sell fakes with lesser android versions etc. Also, is sound quality just as good as say plugging your phone into the aux? How is bluetooth call quality?
Got mine off aliexpress and installed it yesterday. Everything works perfectly. The sound quality seems great to m, but I have the base stereo so take my judgment with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #326
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

I ordered a unit from the AVIN USA website. The 10.25 e90 unit's webpage said it was in stock in California so that's what made me buy it from there (being I'm in CA myself). I even had to pay sales tax which I didn't mind because for some reason the units from AVIN were cheaper from AVIN than anywhere else as they had a sale..........

But what pissed me off was that it didn't ship from California. It shipped from China SMH. They did ship it DHL Express which is the equilavent to local domestic shipping times (it arrived in 3 days as advertised). I wasn't pleased that I had to pay California tax on an item that shipped from China and to top it off the harness was damaged during shipping. Mostly cosmetic damage to the outer casing of one of the harnesses, but still, I paid for a brand new undamaged product.

Other than those issues, the unit looks beautiful. The sound quality and build quality is good to me and the install was pretty simple. The cutting of the dash is not that hard and you have a decent amount of room for error as when the unit and bezel sits on top, the bezel covers everything underneath. Everything is set up and ready to go, but I'm not finalizing everything yet because I'm still waiting on my back up cam and my carplay adapter to arrive from eBay.

Pretty good buy and I'm thinking about buying another one for my other e91 wagon, but I already have a dynavin in that one (best fitting aftermarket headunit).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #327
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuum3 View Post
Got mine off aliexpress and installed it yesterday. Everything works perfectly. The sound quality seems great to m, but I have the base stereo so take my judgment with a grain of salt.
can you link which one you bought and how is sound quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
I ordered a unit from the AVIN USA website. The 10.25 e90 unit's webpage said it was in stock in California so that's what made me buy it from there (being I'm in CA myself). I even had to pay sales tax which I didn't mind because for some reason the units from AVIN were cheaper from AVIN than anywhere else as they had a sale..........

But what pissed me off was that it didn't ship from California. It shipped from China SMH. They did ship it DHL Express which is the equilavent to local domestic shipping times (it arrived in 3 days as advertised). I wasn't pleased that I had to pay California tax on an item that shipped from China and to top it off the harness was damaged during shipping. Mostly cosmetic damage to the outer casing of one of the harnesses, but still, I paid for a brand new undamaged product.

Other than those issues, the unit looks beautiful. The sound quality and build quality is good to me and the install was pretty simple. The cutting of the dash is not that hard and you have a decent amount of room for error as when the unit and bezel sits on top, the bezel covers everything underneath. Everything is set up and ready to go, but I'm not finalizing everything yet because I'm still waiting on my back up cam and my carplay adapter to arrive from eBay.

Pretty good buy and I'm thinking about buying another one for my other e91 wagon, but I already have a dynavin in that one (best fitting aftermarket headunit).
I had a friend buy an e39 unit from them and the service was so bad that I would never buy from them. They are just rebranding whats out there and selling it. If they had some excellent customer service, which they have the margins to provide, then I would think about it but they dont.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #328
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I feel you on that but they had the cheapest 10.25 units out there at the time I was looking to buy.

I paid $379 for mine and on alibaba it was more than that and on eBay it was $500-600.

Plus they made the claim they had them in stock in CA. That's the only reason I bought from them. Plus their website looked legit with an updated layout.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #329
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

If you got it that cheap it then really no downside. I thought they were hiking the prices.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #330
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Having worked with many on this sight, I have to report back on my purchase experience with AVIN.
Having once been a fan of AVIN & purchasing their product, I can whole heartedly recommend you dont use them. I experienced unacceptable audio flaws in their product, and they have gone quiet on me for 30 days, not responding to my many email & phone requests for return & refund, even though that is their policy.
Seems very short sighted & a real lack of customer service. Im not trying to resolve this through PayPal & will update on how that goes
Appreciate 0