E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Faulty fuel injectors help

08-11-2023, 02:29 AM   #1
m_star01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 320i m sport business ed.

Faulty fuel injectors help

Hello all

I have a 320i n43 engine 2010.

I have been diagnosed with having faulty fuel injectors which is why I am getting fuel mixture errors:

2A2C - mixture control 2
29E1 - mixture control 2

With misfires on cylinder 3 acceleration stuttering and higher fuel consumption and idling rough. Coils and new spaprk plugs replaced 1k miles ago.

A few questions for you experienced guys

1. If not totally f#@ed can fuel injectors be cleaned?
2. I see fuel injector index numbers online, can they be mixed as I see some remanufactured ones cheaper than brand new.
3. Sometimes it runs fine without issues sometimes not and throws above errors. Should I still drive with possible injectors issues?

Any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 04:36 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Don't know a lot about your engine, but looking at RealOEM it would seem you have piezo injectors. In which case my answers to your questions would be:

1. The general view is no, piezos cannot be successfully cleaned or refurbed, and to do so is a waste of money.

2. Mixing index numbers is not recommended. If you want to avoid likely future issues, the best option (though pricey) is to replace all four with new (of the latest index you can find). Depends on how long you intend keeping the car.

3. The main indicator of injector issues is cold starting. The piezos tend to drip fuel overnight which causes misfires on startup. But once the excess fuel has burned off, normal running resumes. Easiest way to check for injector faults is to pull you spark plugs first thing in the morning. Any plugs that are black/wet/stink of fuel would point to a faulty cylinder. If you don't address the issue, then the excess fuel running down the bores causes accelerated cylinder bore wear and oil dilution.

Hope that helps.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 04:54 AM   #3
m_star01
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i will have to get a mechanic to take out spark plugs so maybe i wait for full diagnostic as them i am not paying twice.

I looked on realoem i assume you mean:

RP injector

is a piezos? there is no indication on index numbers on realoem i was thinking as i am going to trade this in later this year (or sell), it doesn't make sense to get brand new ones. As i already looking for a new car.

Is it advisable to get the exact index number i have in the car right now? or can be mixed?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 08:48 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
As I said before, mixing is not the best, but if you're getting rid of the car...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
m_star01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
As I said before, mixing is not the best, but if you're getting rid of the car...
I guess as long as it doesn[t cause the issues and warning lights on dash it be fine. I am putting the car for sale, but just don't want to screw someone as they driving home a few miles and they notice issue with injectors.

BTW do they come normally all fitted in engine with SAME index number? so if possible i should have all the same index number? hence why people get 4 of the same index number?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 05:47 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It's likely your car will have had injectors replaced over the years and if they weren't all replaced at the same time, they will be of differing indexes. The index numbers are stamped on the injectors, so why don't you just remove the plastic engine cover and look at the injectors to see? Plenty of vids on YouTube to show you where to look...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 04:27 AM   #7
jwooll96
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318I

Injectors are the bane of these cars and unfortunately the supply issue continues to be poor.

My wife's N43 motor had 2 faulty injectors and due to the nature of them you can't successfully get them cleaned, nor can you add a cleaner into the system to better the condition.

Most of the E9X on the road aren't worth a huge cash injection at this point when it comes to ideally having all the injectors replaced with the latest ones.

In my case, it's her work commuter car, high milage and barely worth anything.

So I bought a pool of six used injectors. I sourced index 9s and two of them were index 7s (the car had index 7s when we bought it) as there is no point shelling out big money for an N43.

Five came back decent, had them fitted and coded to the car and no issues since.

My main issue was fuel diluting the oil causing low oil pressure.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

I have mixed Index 10's and 11's. In 2019, I replaced two of the same bank (one was leaking with symptoms as described by Phil325i above) with brand new 11's (£180 each at the time, so regret not buying a boat load of them). It's been fine ever since.

If you're not handy with the spanners yourself, then you might have difficulty getting a garage to fit used injectors. They usually don't want the hassle of potential issues and you not being a happy customer.

Correction: mix of 10's and 11's (not 11's and 12's)

Last edited by wrongmark; 09-13-2023 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 03:06 PM   #9
m_star01
Private First Class
Rep

Yes as i am not going to get brand new injectors which cost over £2k (worth same as the car), i am going to source used (remanufactured?) ones of ebay. I just want it to run. I have no idea about the codes mean but hope its injectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #10
BMWChap
Major
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_star01 View Post
Yes as i am not going to get brand new injectors which cost over £2k (worth same as the car), i am going to source used (remanufactured?) ones of ebay. I just want it to run. I have no idea about the codes mean but hope its injectors.
I'm dropping my car off tomorrow for a full diagnostic but i already know the injectors are fooked so will do the same as you, remanufactured will do
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 03:22 AM   #11
m_star01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWChap View Post
I'm dropping my car off tomorrow for a full diagnostic but i already know the injectors are fooked so will do the same as you, remanufactured will do
Which errors did you get? funny thing i get is sometimes on idle after cold start no misfires. Sometimes i do. i get the misfire codes so i am puzzled why as if they dont work as good, surely they misfire every single time?

Let me know if you find a good seller. I spoke to a BMW ebay seller who have "used" ones and they was fully working they said they cheaper but who knows how long they last.
Appreciate 0