E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > scam emails on autotrader

12-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1986 mr2 mk1

scam emails on autotrader

trying to sell my car on autotrader and I'm being bombarded by phising emails after either personal information or me to setup a paypal account to cover shipping costs ,anybody else had this ,had to take off my emaill addy from the advert after 30 odd scam emails in one day ,all I wanna do is sell the dam car
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

Complain to AT and don't deal by e-mail.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

^ what he said, Or I watched a program on BBC once it was called hustle. The ppl became "grifter" and scammed all the scammers.

Worth a shot mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

by heck, 30 emails in one day?! I had mine on for 2.5 weeks until last thursday (car sold) and got 2 agency calls....i would remove the email option mate
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yea I removed the email option but still bloody recieving them ,I think once they got my email addy theyre trying everything to scam some money out of me
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

this one message ive just recieved :-

Hello,

Thanks for your response..I'm quite satisfied with the condition and
price,and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to
purchase it right away, end the advert, consider me as your favorite
buyer.I will be paying the PayPal charges from my account and i will
be paying directly into your PayPal account without any delay, and i
hope you have a paypal account. If you have one already, just send me
the address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it
or you can send me a paypal money request, so once i receive the
details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i
will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will
need your home address for it to be Picked Up by the Shipping
Company..

Regards.

end
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I hope you supplied a disposable email address and not your primary one!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

unfortunatly the first email I got just asked 'is the car still for sale' ,which I replied too

that unfortunatly set this ball rolling ,and yes its my main mail address but lots of people can get my address its everywhere,I am in the process of changing and securing everything right now ,so anyone who wants to put there car on the autotrader dont let them put your email address on at all ,as someone will ask you if your cars up for sale then try to scam you !
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I still don't see how this scam works?
So they get your PayPal address, then what? How do they intend to rip people?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

maybe they'll request a new password ? its not so easy to get a new main email address from sky ,looks like i'm gonna have to ring them and have one of those days constanly on the phone listening to 'your call is important to us but there is a high volume of calls ' lol

I dont know but they have one part of your login so surely thats dangerous ?
and of course my email address for everything else ,maybe nothing will happen but I'm not gonna take that chance ,bloody autotrader !!! I knew I should have kept them religated to my secondary email address which I'm not arsed about
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I had the exact same experience, replied to the 2nd email with ' Thanks for your interest. I have forwarded your email to the Autotrader scam department' and never heard another thing off them.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I wouldent bother get another email address.
There is not much they can do with that.
Even if they try and reset your password.
Make sure your secret question is secure and there is nothing they can do with just an email address.

Its easy getting peoples email address, they dont need to go to auto trader to find it.

I can only image the scam goes something like:

1.) They pay by PayPal to you
2.) They send somebody to collect the car
3.) They claim they never recieved the car
4.) Open case with PayPal for refund
5.) They have the money & your car.

Still not entirely sure that would work...
Getting into your email address and seeing if you have paypal cant be the scam.
Even if they got into your account and made bogus transactions, I am sure you could get this fixed through PayPal.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the scam is to do with shipping costs
the next mail would probably have requested me pay a deposit for shipping costs
and i hand over so much £££ which theyre gonna send me back in the price ,then they go quiet and run off with my money

but i'm not bothered about most people having my email address but people like these may keep it with all the rest theyve collected until theyve found some new method to rip inocent people out of there money that we're not aware of yet ,hence I am gonna change it
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I had mine up on AT for a couple of weeks,and experienced similar,not quite the same number of emails though.

The worst I found was the twats who'd ring saying that they had a buyer ready,and if I paid £xx.xx not only would they put the buyer in touch,but they'd also advertise the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismanchr View Post
this one message ive just recieved :-

Hello,

Thanks for your response..I'm quite satisfied with the condition and
price,and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to
purchase it right away, end the advert, consider me as your favorite
buyer.I will be paying the PayPal charges from my account and i will
be paying directly into your PayPal account without any delay, and i
hope you have a paypal account. If you have one already, just send me
the address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it
or you can send me a paypal money request, so once i receive the
details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i
will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will
need your home address for it to be Picked Up by the Shipping
Company..

Regards.

end
Put their email address up here,we can have some Xmas fun bombarding them with utter shite

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #15
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

There are 2 ways they can scam you.

1) They send a fake email looking as if its from paypal. This will say you have received a payment and have link to click on. This will be the start of your problems. DO NOT OPEN THE LINK. Always type the address yourself or saved in bookmarks.

2) This method is usually used when you are looking to buy a car, but could easily have the roles reversed. They will send you a document from the "shipping company" to say they have the car and asking for payment to be made to them. They say will deliver the car for you to inspect and only release your payment to the seller when you are happy. However, THE SHIPPING COMPANY IS FAKE, IT DOES NOT EXIST. Never send any money, you will never see the car.

When the scammers put ads on auto trader they used to always be low mileage cars with top spec for a ridiculous price. Maybe 8k for a car worth 20k. However, probably due to more people becoming aware, they have changed slightly. The same car they will now advertise for about 15k to make it more believable.

They also put a phone number which does not exist so you are forced to email them. Lately they have been using email addresses which make it look as if they are a trader or set up a simple web page with a link for the same effect. Basically as it becomes harder for them to scam, they are trying harder to make you believe its a genuine ad. Always be wary of a car that looks very cheap. Always try to see the car in person and don't take cash with you on first visit.

And Merry Xmas to all
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
savgeax
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport

I had a good one the other month. So I played along.

He said he was in Newcastle and wanted my 5series but wanted it shipped to father in law.

I got a "PayPal" email saying funds were transferred and upon receipt of the car then they would be added to my account.

He said he couldn't pay shipping costs as did not have a CC so could I wire him £599 and he will send me £599 via PayPal to reimburse him.

Of course the trick here is that he doesn't want the car, wants the £599. I played along...even to the extent that I claimed recovery to pick up the car. He then accused me being a fraud. All fun really
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by savgeax View Post
I had a good one the other month. So I played along.

He said he was in Newcastle and wanted my 5series but wanted it shipped to father in law.

I got a "PayPal" email saying funds were transferred and upon receipt of the car then they would be added to my account.

He said he couldn't pay shipping costs as did not have a CC so could I wire him £599 and he will send me £599 via PayPal to reimburse him.

Of course the trick here is that he doesn't want the car, wants the £599. I played along...even to the extent that I claimed recovery to pick up the car. He then accused me being a fraud. All fun really
Mate my father in law is still waiting for his car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think the lesson here is dont respond at all to any emails if your cars on autotrader or anyother car selling website ,a real buyer or seller would want to see the car and close a deal face to face,and use the phone number given ,Ive bought 3 cars using ebay ,but I went to see them first ! ,I wouldnt buy a car without seeing it,meeting the owner at the address on the log book ,and having a face to face deal ,so when someone emails saying theyre just gonna buy it ,its rubbish lol, one email said could I have my chaufer take the car to the shipping agent ,this means theyre probably african because they think we all live in lavish luxury beyond there wildest dreams ,thats why they flock to europe in their millions
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Markypoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismanchr View Post
I think the lesson here is dont respond at all to any emails if your cars on autotrader
Exactly.........Mines on there and Ive had 5 emails all different email addresses but all asking the same thing so knew they were just wanting my email addy and IF I had replied they would have it. If someone is genuine they would ask more questions plus if you're still not sure just don't reply, if the sender is serious Im sure they will call.
I've had all this stuff in the past, you'd think the online advertisers would have got this covered by now
      12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah but I was fooled by an email saying 'hi mate is the car still for sale ?'

thats something I would put ,of course I replied and then came the email stories lol
Appreciate 0