E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E92 335i Build Thread

01-10-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92

E92 335i Build Thread

Hi Guys,

Picked up this 2007 E92 335i Auto up in Nov 2020. Completely unmodified (only one available at the time) with 92k miles on the clock.

Nov 2020

Here she is as I picked her up

First drive home and she would go into limp mode on high speed pulls.
Found out the clip on the VVT solenoid (exhaust) was loose and was popping out.
Put it back in, cleared all codes and we were back in action! For a short while....

Running map 1 on JB4 she would kick into map 3 quiet often.
I purchased a JB4 data cable and downloaded the JB4 software.
Whoever had set this up previously really didn't know what they were at!

I then, updated the firmware on the JB4 to the latest and set the below stock parameters

Great, now the car actually drives without going into limp mode all the time!

Dec 2020

Next I did an oil and filter service, even though the last owner has supposedly done one, he probably had, as the oil/filter were in great condition.
Some good Castrol Edge 5W-30 and some skin tearing openin the oil filter housing!

Next mods were wheels and a carbon ducktail and some fancy plates to make the car a bit less plain, the back end was definitely lacking before this!

Removed the original plates and gave it a good wash

19" M359 Style Wheels in 8.5/9.5 ET35/40

Wheels, spoiler and new plates on the car.
The spoiler fit absolutely perfectly, genuine carbon.
Went with 235/35/19 Pirelli P Zeros on the front (from the old wheels)
And fit new 275/30/20 Dunlop Sportmaxx on the rear

And from the front, the wheels offsets are a bit weak, but I couldn't get these wheels in a lower offset new.
I will be adding spacers down the road.

End of Dec 2020

Goodies came in!
De cats, inlets and a stepped intercooler in black!
Along with 12MM rear spacers and 5MM front spacers (Also in black!)

First job I did was install the intercooler.
Some minor trimming was required, some closeup shots below!

After the intercooler install, I could definitely here small boost leak.
I'm guessing its on the actual inlet and outlet ***** connecting to the intercooler.
So I ordered 2 x Genuine O rings which are on the way.

The next day I installed the de cats with my mate, what a pain! On RHD cars the steering rack is well in the way!
We managed after about 5 hours of hitting are knuckes off every part of the engine bay!

Then I flashed the car with PUMP BEF on MHD. And I got 1 step colder spark plugs and the intercooler gasket replacements to make sure it was all good to run Map 2!

Track day!
I brought the car to Mondello park open track day and did some laps in it!
Surprisingly, brakes didn't give me much of an issue doing 4~ laps at a time.
The suspension really let me down, there was insane amounts of body roll!

Jan 2020

The charge pipe I ordered finally arrived.
I installed it along with fitting the cone air filters.
Thankfully, I didn't have to relocate anything, just removed the power steering reservoir bracket to install, then repositioned it back in.

Some aesthetical mods next!
Replaced the stock orange/yellow DRLS and license plate lights with white LED's.
All canbus friendly and have thrown no errors, huge difference!
Also added some interior bling lol

HUGE update coming next week, I'll update with some detailed photos of the install and setup.. Its a power adder!

Last edited by Christopher338; 01-23-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00
      01-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #2
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Nice! How was the fitment on MTC dp's? O2's positioning clear from steering column etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Nice! How was the fitment on MTC dp's? O2's positioning clear from steering column etc..
Had to get a hammer and dent the front one to get it in as it was binding on both the subframe and the back downpipe. However, once it was slotted into the turbo it had clearance. Definitely happy with them, O2 sensors positioning was 100%. If I had dropped the subframe slightly, I would not have had to dent the front one.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Looking good. You know there is a proper tool to turn the oil filter cap off. Shouldn't cause you any problems with the tool and a ratchet. Would be impossible to get it tightened or lose without it?
Also look into liqui moly oil. I run 5w40 and it's been great when tuned. I hope you did coilpacks along with those plugs. Plugs and coils are done quite often if you're tuned.
Have fun.
      01-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Personally for oil i run Rotella T6 5w40 i’d compare it to liquimoly as far as quality oil but at a fraction of the cost and locally available
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Looking good. You know there is a proper tool to turn the oil filter cap off. Shouldn't cause you any problems with the tool and a ratchet. Would be impossible to get it tightened or lose without it?
Also look into liqui moly oil. I run 5w40 and it's been great when tuned. I hope you did coilpacks along with those plugs. Plugs and coils are done quite often if you're tuned.
Have fun.
I got it off without the tool, after some missing skin! Got it back on fully too. With the help of a cloth and some preservation.

I did not do coil packs as I’m buying precision race works in the coming weeks and I didn’t want to purchase replacement coil packs just to replace them again 😅
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep

Bolts to Stud Conversion

11/01/2020 - Converted car to studs

Got a stud conversion kit (proper quality - made in Italy).
Installed them yesterday evening, fairly straight forward and works well with spacers.

Fairly simple install.
  • Remove wheels,
  • Red loctite on screw in studs
  • Screw in and torque between 22-25 FT/lb.
  • Refit Spacers/Wheels
  • Torque wheel nuts between 80-85 FT/lb
  • Re-tighten after 100km

Some photos of the install

Last edited by Christopher338; 01-12-2021 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep

Nitrous Kit!

22/01/2021 Nitrous Kit

Ordered this a couple of weeks back, finally arrived.
ML2000 Nitrous Express EFI kit.

Got the bottle rigged up and bolted down to the back boot tray.
I had originally planned to mount it to studs which would come up from the steel on the boot, however, as its a road car I wanted the option for easy removal.

Using this method, I can simply take this floor out and have a spare one without the nitrous tank. Its not going anywhere the way its mounted anyway.

Unfortunately, my chargepipe bunch is oddly not 1/8" NPT as it was supposed to be, so I have to remove the chargepipe and get another 1/8" NPT bung welded in. More than likely get 2 extra put in for dual meth nozzles which is next on the list of mods.

I did seat the solenoids into the bay with the lines on them to get an idea on where to mount them. The lines arent very long so my plan of hiding them under the cowl is out the door.

Still waiting on the FuelIt fuel adaptor to see fuel for the nitrous, also waiting on meth kit as I want slightly higher octane before running the nitrous kit.

And also have some DB9 connectors on the way to plug this all into the JB4 to control the nitrous.

I got the below AN4 to AN6 fittings which will make the fuel system plug and play for this.

Also, did a bit of photoshopping and added on M3 side skirts and window tints as well as lowering the car a bit. What a difference, booked in for tinting Tuesday and will order the skirts during the week.

Before

After (Photoshop)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep

Tints + Chrome Delete

Still waiting on some parts for the nitrous install. Ordered a large amount of service items including the OFHG's, serpentine belts and various gaskets for preventive maintenance.

Got the back three windows tinted today in 20%.

Then brought the car home and wrapped the chrome trim black (Couldn't stand seeing it, the tints just made it stand out more!)

I'll be doing the OFHG, plugs, serpentine belt and a few other maintenance items this weekend, hopefully get the nitrous kit going to!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Make sure you have those nitrous bottle mounts really secure.....if it's just a few screws going down into the fiber board trunk cover, that's not going to hold the bottle if you get in a wreck. The last think you want is that bottle with 800+psi in it bouncing around in the trunk of your car.....

How big of a shot are you going to run?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
Christopher338
Chris
Ireland
Rep

Update 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Make sure you have those nitrous bottle mounts really secure.....if it's just a few screws going down into the fiber board trunk cover, that's not going to hold the bottle if you get in a wreck. The last think you want is that bottle with 800+psi in it bouncing around in the trunk of your car.....

How big of a shot are you going to run?
Yes I'll mount it properly once I've it filled and the setup Installed
Only a 50 shot, for the start anyways!

--

Since the last update I've

Installed new Delphi coilpacks

The fuel line for the nitrous arrived

And also my 2 step relay! Why not!

Then.. the power steering pump died out of nowhere, turns out these PS pumps are specific to 335i, and pretty much no aftermarket $$$
Managed to get a second hand one out of a car with a blown engine

Did a full power steering flush and now the steering is completely silent.

its a pain to install these, you can't see anything!

Also replaced the serpentine belt while I was in there, checked for play in pulleys and nothing thankfully.

Also replaced the front coolant line fitting for an aluminium one as it was leaking slightly. Quick fix and no more leak!

Then I did the OFHG and OFHG > Oil cooler gasket.
Cleaned them up and refit. No leaking, replaced the oil lines > oil cooler O rings also.

Then today the M3 skirts arrived. Going off for paint next week when the M-sport front bumper lands

And here is how she stands now, I'll update again when the skirts/bumper are fit

Last edited by Christopher338; 03-04-2021 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:11 PM   #12
eviltaco805
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

Nice build

I love the car build completely a different car, night and day difference.
Appreciate 0