E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Learning DME Values and Chasing Limp Mode

03-04-2021, 01:32 AM   #1
kenzocan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is MT, 428i cpe, 335is DCT

Learning DME Values and Chasing Limp Mode

Hello FCP Euro... I mean E90 post... I’m currently going through some issues with limp mode appearing on WOT at 6.5k ish rpm - 3rd gear mostly.
Turned the car off and it resets back to normal as expected. The following codes appear:
29DC - Cylinder injection cutout
2E83 - Electric coolant pump, power-reduced op
2E97 - Generator

So the purpose of this post is to learn about the base line levels for healthy engines. If there is a thread of this topic already lmk. Also if you have some light to shed on the topic please.

---- plus some logs: during idle - note this was after a drive so oil/coolant temps are up to speed
Lambda Bank 1+2 - 15.5
Fuel Low Pressure - 73PSI
Fuel Rail Pressure - rests around 700 for 10 seconds, jumps to 2400, and gradually returns to 700 to repeat the process again after 10 sec.
WGDC 1 + 2 = 58.2

Brainstorming the possibilities right now and will be back with more updates once I replace the voltage regulator on the backside of the alternator and the spark plugs/coils. May clean out the injectors using a fuel additive. Also, I may check the intake valves for residue once I change my alternator if the opportunity shows itself.

Extra notes:
335is - 6 Speed - Running FBO MHD 2+ for about 6k miles now, always 93 Octane, 77k miles, maintained with utmost respect, clean as whistle except for these oddities.

Hopefully this helps people experiencing the same problem as I reach a solution. S/o to bimmerpost for looking out for aspiring car nerds
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzocan View Post
Hello FCP Euro... I mean E90 post... I’m currently going through some issues with limp mode appearing on WOT at 6.5k ish rpm - 3rd gear mostly.
Turned the car off and it resets back to normal as expected. The following codes appear:
29DC - Cylinder injection cutout
2E83 - Electric coolant pump, power-reduced op
2E97 - Generator

So the purpose of this post is to learn about the base line levels for healthy engines. If there is a thread of this topic already lmk. Also if you have some light to shed on the topic please.

---- plus some logs: during idle - note this was after a drive so oil/coolant temps are up to speed
Lambda Bank 1+2 - 15.5
Fuel Low Pressure - 73PSI
Fuel Rail Pressure - rests around 700 for 10 seconds, jumps to 2400, and gradually returns to 700 to repeat the process again after 10 sec.
WGDC 1 + 2 = 58.2

Brainstorming the possibilities right now and will be back with more updates once I replace the voltage regulator on the backside of the alternator and the spark plugs/coils. May clean out the injectors using a fuel additive. Also, I may check the intake valves for residue once I change my alternator if the opportunity shows itself.

Extra notes:
335is - 6 Speed - Running FBO MHD 2+ for about 6k miles now, always 93 Octane, 77k miles, maintained with utmost respect, clean as whistle except for these oddities.

Hopefully this helps people experiencing the same problem as I reach a solution. S/o to bimmerpost for looking out for aspiring car nerds
I agree that replacing the regulator is a good first step. I wouldn't think your plugs and coils are to blame if you're not getting misfires. If you've got logs, it's best to upload them to datazap and post the link here.
      03-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Don't go firing the parts cannon just yet. There are 4 consumers on the BSD:
Alternator
Water pump
IBS
Oil level sensor
When one is bad, it can take out any or all of the others. Unplug one at a time. When one is unplugged and the other 3 work normally, you've found your culprit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Don't go firing the parts cannon just yet. There are 4 consumers on the BSD:
Alternator
Water pump
IBS
Oil level sensor
When one is bad, it can take out any or all of the others. Unplug one at a time. When one is unplugged and the other 3 work normally, you've found your culprit.
But isn't there a BSD data bus communications code (2E7C) related to that type of fault? This sounds like they're all still communicating, but one or two of them is underperforming.