E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Frustrated and needing to vent..

02-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
Blackjacks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Frustrated and needing to vent..

Just a warning this got kinda long, but I'm SO frustrated!!!!!

So I use to always have a really rocking stereo in my car until I got into this speed at all cost phase and tried to make my car as light as possible, even if it cost me a good sounding car.

So I bought my 335i and was like o.k it's time to get back some luxury and I miss a really nice sounding stereo.

A couple months ago I bought an unused JL 900/5 amp from a friend before I knew our door speakers were an odd size. I called JL and they said their 8 inch sub would work great. I go into the stereo shop and they start showing me other options.

They are the only DD Audio dealers in town and show me their products and how amazing they are and their build and sound quality over other options. I like to do it right the first time even if I pay a bit more, so I went the DD route.

They asked me what music I mainly listen to which is metal, and I told them I love full bass sound that just engulfs you.

They build a custom speaker box for me and are like this thing is going to rock!! I've been out of stereo's for a while and they are like times have changed. You can get amazing sound out of this speaker!

I get the car back and I asked them to set it up for me so I can push it, but not destroy it. It sounds decent, but did not live up to the hype they gave me at all!!

A month or so later the speaker starts sounding like crap, and I contact DD and they tell me to send it to them, which I did. Get a call back and I've absolutely annihilated the speaker!

I found out the hard way you can't use bluetooth with your phone turned all the way up as it immediately clips the speaker, and I literally fried it!

They were super kind and offered to fix it for me and said since they were doing that they might as well build it into a 12 for $100 more, that I should be more than happy with the output and not have to worry about destroying it!

My Rep told me they had a couple of their 1000x1 amps from 2017 they would sell me for a smoking deal to make way for their 2018 stuff. They said it would be perfect for the speaker!

They both arrive and the speaker is incredible looking! The finish of it is incredible and a real hand made product.

I take it to the stereo shop, and they build a box to the specs DD gave me, and installed the amp. The amp comes with a remote knob to turn the gain up and down, and it also has a little led showing when it clips and another for protect mode.

I'm so excited I can hardly handle myself as I was at the stereo shop listening to some of their lower end subs thinking mine is going to blow these away.

My car is finished, I hop in, take off and turn the nob about half way up, and turn on one of my favorite songs and the car immediately clips. SHIT!! I turn the gain down...clip. I turn the gain down more...clip. SHIT!!

I mess with the cars factory bass settings and finally find a position on the knob where I can turn the volume up and it doesn't clip. Now it's putting out less bass then my factory subs!!!

Is this it? I paid a fortune for really high end, top of the line parts and this is it? In 2003 I purchased a JL 12W6 V2 and for years I absolutely worked it over.

Day after day for years it filled my car with bass every single time, and now this? Any time I want some bass it clips!?!?!?!?!? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm sorry to be such a drama queen, I'm just very frustrated!! I paid a lot of money for what was suppose to be superior parts, and it sounds lower than my factory subs.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:38 AM   #2
6spdcoupe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F15,'06 E55,'13 CX-9

Sounds install related. Either within getting the signal, setting the amp up properly, enclosure design or all of the above.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Sco Cuddie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

You have too many variables that have not been tuned properly.

It sounds like you have a factory head unit. The head unit needs to be set to a setting that doesn't clip. This will provide a clean signal to your amps. Then the gain on the amp needs to be set to match to signal received from the head unit. This should insure a clean sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Blackjacks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco Cuddie View Post
You have too many variables that have not been tuned properly.

It sounds like you have a factory head unit. The head unit needs to be set to a setting that doesn't clip. This will provide a clean signal to your amps. Then the gain on the amp needs to be set to match to signal received from the head unit. This should insure a clean sound.
Thank you, can you explain to me how to do that please? And yes it's a factory head unit.

Last edited by Blackjacks; 02-19-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacks View Post
Thank you, can you explain to me how to do that please? And yes it's a factory head unit.
I looked at the amp and without an oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer I'm not sure how you can effectively set up this system.
You don't have an output gain from what I can see on this amp and the output is a fixed gain from the input.

That being said. Here is what I would do.

Your JL900 has input voltage high/low.
It also has input sensitivity controls.
Since you are using the stock head unit, I'm going to assume high voltage?
You are probably using the speaker outputs from the stock head unit.

Turn the head unit all the way down.
Set the input sensitivity to minimum.

Select a test song or wave.
Turn the head unit up to about 90%.
Gradually turn up the input sensitivity so it gets louder.

Do not allow the inputs of the amp to clip.
If you are using the speaker outputs and have the amp set for low level inputs, you are going to immediately clip in almost any situation.

I normally do this kind of stuff with a signal generator and scope to measure the waves and distortion.

Power doesn't blow speakers. With clean power you basically need enough power to cause the speaker to over extend it's travel. With distortion you cook the voice coils. Heavy clipping looks like a square wave. Immediate cooking of the voice coils.

Also if you have blown speakers.
http://www.SpeakerRepairPros.com

I used them in the past when they were Orange County Speaker.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex EC7-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
6spdcoupe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Before doing anything you may want to share which factory system you have or the last 7 digits of your VIN. How they got signal from it would (should) vary as they are not all the same. If TopHiFi and they grabbed signal after the amp then they either used the filtered front they're overpowering the input stages of the amp with the low passed underseat outputs. Either way, knowing which system it is is most critical here, followed by how they got signal.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Blackjacks
Private
Rep

I really appreciate all the help guys, it's really means a lot!! The last seven of the VIN are E599067
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
6spdcoupe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really appreciate all the help guys, it's really means a lot!! The last seven of the VIN are E599067
Ok, you have HiFi so they should have grabbed signal Before the amp. Is it possible for you to confirm this ? There should be No line output convertors or any other sort of interfaces there either.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Blackjacks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Ok, you have HiFi so they should have grabbed signal Before the amp. Is it possible for you to confirm this ? There should be No line output convertors or any other sort of interfaces there either.
Forgive my ignorance, so grabbed the signal before the cars factory amp?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
6spdcoupe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, so grabbed the signal before the cars factory amp?
Yes, the signal feeding the JL amp. Is it possible for you to trace where it is coming from ? Pictures can help too.

Appreciate 0