E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front ride height after fitting Bilstein B4 on my E90 330i Exclusive RWD

12-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
E82 is basically the exact same suspension as the E90. All the parts are interchangeable.

Honestly, i have done thousands of alignments on BMWs, and have never seen this on any car. If the ride heights are that different it is because something is bent.

Here is the E90 spec for all world markets.
BMW dealers say its normal, so don't know what more to say. Many E9x and E46 owners report this finding so I am not surprised that my car has increased ride height on the front left aswell..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:15 PM   #24
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I had the exact same issue on my old RWD E90. Installing Bilstein B4 raised the front a VERY noticeable amount. It has nothing to do with settling or new upper mounts. I even swapped out them out with Koni Sport struts while keeping everything else the same and the car was at least 10-15mm lower up front. Went back to B4, and yup, it was raised by that same amount.

The Bilstein B4 front struts WILL raise your front ride height on a RWD E9X. I noticed the exact same thing on my GF's E92 RWD as well when changing to B4s. This has nothing to do with settling or new upper mounts.

This is a fact, and I've no idea why this happens with B4s.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:51 AM   #25
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

did you install the B4 or the B4 Sport struts?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #26
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I had the exact same issue on my old RWD E90. Installing Bilstein B4 raised the front a VERY noticeable amount. It has nothing to do with settling or new upper mounts. I even swapped out them out with Koni Sport struts while keeping everything else the same and the car was at least 10-15mm lower up front. Went back to B4, and yup, it was raised by that same amount.

The Bilstein B4 front struts WILL raise your front ride height on a RWD E9X. I noticed the exact same thing on my GF's E92 RWD as well when changing to B4s. This has nothing to do with settling or new upper mounts.

I just replaced the original struts on my 330i (RWD, sport suspension) with Bilstein B4 struts for Sport suspension, along with new Lemforder mounts and new OEM sport bump stops and the ride height is identical to what it was before with the 135K mile original struts that were on the car.

Not sure where this added ride height is coming from, but there are two different versions of the B4 for the E90 one for standard suspension and one for sport suspension. The bump stops are also different for sport vs non-sport.

Now when I bought my 325i it had 220K miles and it was on the original suspension. I replaced front struts with generic Chinese-manufactured complete assemblies and the rear with KYB shocks and it raised my ride height almost 1.5". However I measured the ride height and confirmed that it was exactly as it was supposed to be. After 220K miles the struts, mounts, and bump stops were shot. I suspect the springs may have sagged slightly too.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #27
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vester86 View Post
did you install the B4 or the B4 Sport struts?
My E90, as per my original post, is non sport suspension, so the B4 struts fitted were the corresponding non sport parts. The front upper mounts were still in good condition, just had fresh grease added and were then reused. I did however have to replace all bump stops since they had all pretty much fallen apart.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:34 PM   #28
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Haven't put on massive mileage since the B4s were fitted, but ride height is definitely not "settling", so all I can think is that the physical length of the strut isn't the same as the original Sachs parts...

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #29
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

FWIW, I installed B4 Sport on both cars mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post

I just replaced the original struts on my 330i (RWD, sport suspension) with Bilstein B4 struts for Sport suspension, along with new Lemforder mounts and new OEM sport bump stops and the ride height is identical to what it was before with the 135K mile original struts that were on the car.
Now this is interesting because your car is pre-LCI. A friend had no such issues on his pre-LCI 328i RWD as well. I've see this problem only with LCI cars so far, and E92s as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Haven't put on massive mileage since the B4s were fitted, but ride height is definitely not "settling", so all I can think is that the physical length of the strut isn't the same as the original Sachs parts...
Yup. Something is up there or in the suspension parts in pre- vs. post-LCI cars. Such as the knuckle or top mounts. I know they make different versions of top mounts but I kept those items the same in my trials so that was not the issue...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #30
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FWIW, I installed B4 Sport on both cars mentioned above.
Now this is interesting because your car is pre-LCI. A friend had no such issues on his pre-LCI 328i RWD as well. I've see this problem only with LCI cars so far, and E92s as well.

Yup. Something is up there or in the suspension parts in pre- vs. post-LCI cars. Such as the knuckle or top mounts. I know they make different versions of top mounts but I kept those items the same in my trials so that was not the issue...
Same, in my case, original upper mounts were reused and saw was the spring pad since they were both still in perfect condition, was simply the struts and bump stops that were replaced. So only thing that could've altered the ride height is the B4s. But, getting used to it as time passes, and the car handles great irrespective of this.

Appreciate 0