E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Helmet Recommendations?

06-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #23
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Look out bishes, I got my helmet!

Let the wild rumpus start! I'll get to break it in tomorrow @ 7:30. Hopefully I'll get to snap some pics of the auto-x cross shinannagins. I just pray for no dents, dings, flips or flying cones
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #24
MainlineE90man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E90

This one would be alot of fun
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
Look out bishes, I got my helmet!

Let the wild rumpus start! I'll get to break it in tomorrow @ 7:30. Hopefully I'll get to snap some pics of the auto-x cross shinannagins. I just pray for no dents, dings, flips or flying cones

What will your head be doing outside your window in an autocross? I hope you dont get any dents, dings, flips or flying cones hitting your helmet either...

Let us know what this new driving style entails
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
What will your head be doing outside your window in an autocross? I hope you dont get any dents, dings, flips or flying cones hitting your helmet either...

Let us know what this new driving style entails
Heh. Yeah, it's a full face helmet -- the guys at OG all recommended this. This is due to the fact that 1) it offers more protection 2) folks usually run auto-x with windows down and 3) if you're on the track (like Summit or VIR) you have to drive with windows down, just in case there is an "incident" and they gotta pull you outta the wreckage The guys also all chimed in with their respective horror stories of track debris... chunk of tire in the face, a random bolt that flys in, etc. etc.

For the auto-x, I just removed the visor which is held on by a couple of allen bolts. I plan on keeping it down when I hit the track.

BTW, the auto-x. I recommend EVERYONE sign up and take the class or drive an event. Driving the auto-x was beyond my expectations. The stuff we did on the track could never be done in normal street driving (well, unless you live Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift style - LOL), but it gave me a much better idea on the limits of my tires, driving ability and just how sensitive the 330 is to throttle input. I'm signing up for the second class offered in August.

The instructors there drove my car like a bat out of hell ... the closest I got time wise on the track was 2 seconds to their lap time (which is a eternity). What can I say? These guys were pro solo national winners, so they've been around the block a few times. Everyone should turn of DTC and experience steering around with the throttle! My runflats were crying, and I imagine if I continue down this abyss of auto-x addiction, I will need to invest in a dedicated set of tires.

I took some pics, but no action shots worth posting.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #27
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Hey Sam, is this what you got?
http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...45&showbrake=1

I actually might stop by there sometime this week and buy one for myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #28
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Hey Sam, is this what you got?
http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemde...45&showbrake=1

I actually might stop by there sometime this week and buy one for myself.
Yep, very similar. Good starter helmet Honestly, I don't even know why they call it a starter helmet ... I'll use it till it falls apart
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #29
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
Yep, very similar. Good starter helmet Honestly, I don't even know why they call it a starter helmet ... I'll use it till it falls apart
Heh, they call it a starter helmet cause it doesn't cost as much. Check prices on an Arai GP-5 for example which would not be considered a starter helmet.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #30
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I told my mom I was going to get a helmet, and she was like...can't you just use a bicycle helmet?
Appreciate 0