E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E9x KCAN 101

10-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #89
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Thanks for that Tom. We have been to some of the Time Attacks at Cal Speed doing support. I will read the article for sure and most likely call you on Monday. There are 2 of us at AiM that have E90/E92's and we are both having connectivity issues. What is really strange is that just yesterday I connected to a 2008 135 via the OBD port and was able to pick up CAN. It was limited but it was there. Yet on a 2008 328 and a 2007 335 it is not....???

Best,

Jordan
Jordan,

It all depends on the production date. Give me a call or email if needed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #90
Freeze24
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 318d 2008

Hi out there,

I keep myself also busy with the K-CAN of my car at the moment.

What I've found out by now are the following codes:

Window controls (automatic and manual opening/closing for each window)
Window status (open/closed and exact position of each window)
Exterior Lights (parking light, low beam light, reversing light, front fog
light, rear fog light)
Door status (open/closed for each door)
Wiper status (wipes upwards or downwards)
Steering wheel controls (turn sound up/down, activate telephone, use speaker
phone, change media source, change conditioner mode, next/previous track)
Car key controls (bar/unbar the car and open the trunk)
Park distance control (on/off an the distance)

I can also send frames to the CAN, but what isn't working is open/close the windows by sending CAN-messages.

Has anyone got this working?

What I'm sending is for example:

ID=0FA
RTR=0
EID=0
DLC=3
BYTE0=01
BYTE1=00
BYTE2=00

But nothing happens.

After settimg the RTR value to 1, curiously the rear left window is moving, although the above frame should open the drivers window.
Actually the rear left window is the only one which does any movement caused by the messages which I'm sending to the bus at all.

Does anyone have a hint for me?

Last edited by Freeze24; 02-23-2011 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: wrong ID in the example frame
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #91
epsodus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

K-Can ComBox Telematik

Excuse my English does not so feel well. I have the following problem, it is about the ComBox Telematic.
I have an E60 03/2007 and would like to insert the ComBox there.
Unfortunately, it is not recognised there by the K-Can, see photo. With an E90 with JBE it is recognised. Are there differences between the K-Can in the E90 and E60?

Epsodus
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #92
dapharsyde
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Resurrecting an old thread here...hopefully some of you KCAN coding experts are still out there and able to help me out...Here is my dilemma:

I recently purchased a K+DCAN USB cable, which appears to be quite popular these days -

Since I have a 2006 E90, my understanding is that I needed to bridge together pins 7 and 8 to get to the K-line off of the OBD port, so I've soldered the pins together.

I've installed the FTDI drivers and I see the cable as COM1 in device manager. I've also used the K+DCAN utility to set my cable to KCAN mode, and done so successfully -

My goal is to tap into the KCAN protocol and listen for some of the steering wheel events that have also been discussed in this thread. In order to validate that I'm on the right track, I was hoping that I could plug the cable into my car's OBD port, the other end into my computer, and begin monitoring the COM1 port for traffic using Putty (a simple terminal app). Although I understand it would be gibberish, I was hoping to at least see some of the KCAN data traffic come across. Unfortunately, when I do this, there is nothing coming across in my terminal window.

Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need additional software to initialize communication between the car and the (virtual) serial port output?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #93
dapharsyde
Rep

OK, scratch that, it seems I was barking up the wrong tree since I was using the wrong cable. Also, it appears I didn't actually have any k-can taps in my OBD port.

Now I've got a MCP2515 development board, and I am tapping directly into the k-can wires from the ultrasonic sensor connector, but I am still having problems.

Using the MBTime.exe calculator, based on a 20Mhz chip and a 100kb/s rate, it yielded the following CNF values:

CNF1 - 0x03
CNF2 - 0xBF
CNF3 - 0x07

Here are some other values shown by the calculator, that honestly I could use someone's help in validating as well, that they are appropriate for interfacing w/ KCAN

BRP-1 - 3
TQ = 400ns
#TQ = 25
Propagation delay - 8
Phase segment 1 - 8
Phase segment 2 - 8
SJW - 1

Using these settings, when I use the monitoring software to go on the bus, the car reacts by showing an electrical system malfunction. If I have the engine running, the tach drops to 0rpm as soon as I hop on the bus. During this time, pushing the window down/up buttons do nothing, and I am unable to see any messages in the software's monitoring window. As soon as I hop off the bus, the tach returns to idle rpm, as it should. This suggests to me that I am interfacing with the car on KCAN, but in a manner that is not yielding any clean data.

Does it have something to do with the settings above? Do I need to change something like SJW? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help point me in the right direction on this...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #94
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapharsyde View Post
Resurrecting an old thread here...hopefully some of you KCAN coding experts are still out there and able to help me out...Here is my dilemma:

I recently purchased a K+DCAN USB cable, which appears to be quite popular these days -

Since I have a 2006 E90, my understanding is that I needed to bridge together pins 7 and 8 to get to the K-line off of the OBD port, so I've soldered the pins together.

I've installed the FTDI drivers and I see the cable as COM1 in device manager. I've also used the K+DCAN utility to set my cable to KCAN mode, and done so successfully -

My goal is to tap into the KCAN protocol and listen for some of the steering wheel events that have also been discussed in this thread. In order to validate that I'm on the right track, I was hoping that I could plug the cable into my car's OBD port, the other end into my computer, and begin monitoring the COM1 port for traffic using Putty (a simple terminal app). Although I understand it would be gibberish, I was hoping to at least see some of the KCAN data traffic come across. Unfortunately, when I do this, there is nothing coming across in my terminal window.

Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need additional software to initialize communication between the car and the (virtual) serial port output?
You don't need to solder pins 7 and 8 together on *any* E90 chassis. 7 and 8 together is only required for E46 and older chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #95
dapharsyde
Rep

yes, i've since taken the leap to tapping in via the kcan lines available from the ultrasonic sensor with a mcp2515 dev board.

unfortunately, i seem to be having problems syncing onto the bus, possibly b/c i don't know the proper propogation/phase segment settings to use...see my above post for more details, if you happen to know anything about this...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #96
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

Quote:
yes, i've since taken the leap to tapping in via the kcan lines available from the ultrasonic sensor with a mcp2515 dev board.

unfortunately, i seem to be having problems syncing onto the bus, possibly b/c i don't know the proper propogation/phase segment settings to use...see my above post for more details, if you happen to know anything about this...
Hi I have also tried with the mcp2515 dev board and you will have no chance of getting all messages as the PIC used is not capable of seeing all the messages.

I gave up on the PIC stuff and have gone with a ti AM3517 with CAN controller built in and no problems at all. I can see all messages on the K-CAN.

Hope this helps you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #97
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Now for CAN ID's.... I have a logfile and Im after a bit of help decyphering it.

Im after getting the IDs for rpm, speed, gear, ignition status.

I have uploaded the log file and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the PIDs and values. It would help greatly in starting to filter and log.

Thanks
Marc
Attached Files
File Type: txt E90 K-can log.txt (160.0 KB, 1302 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #98
dapharsyde
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
Hi I have also tried with the mcp2515 dev board and you will have no chance of getting all messages as the PIC used is not capable of seeing all the messages.

I gave up on the PIC stuff and have gone with a ti AM3517 with CAN controller built in and no problems at all. I can see all messages on the K-CAN.

Hope this helps you.
Hi Marc, thanks for your reply. Can you point me to the AM3517 module you are using? It looks like the TI dev board is ~$1000. Did you find a cheaper option?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #99
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Marc, thanks for your reply. Can you point me to the AM3517 module you are using? It looks like the TI dev board is ~$1000. Did you find a cheaper option?
tried to PM mate but you dont allow.

Last edited by marcm; 05-21-2012 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #100
AlainCAN
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: not a bmw

NVE

Hi everybody,

As I saw, there are a lot of CAN expert on this forum.
I will ask you for some help for my project, I explain:
Recently I have been bought a Night Vision camera from BMW E6X series.
This camera is connected to the K-CAN bus and use the following informations:

- car's Speed
- Light/rain sensor
- Light's on/off state
- wheel angle
- external temp.

Can you help me by provinding the CAN Id's of each functions and the different state (ON/OFF).

If you can do that, it will make me the hapyest guy on this world...

Thank you very much for your help and for this forum.

Alain
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #101
AlainCAN
Registered
France
Rep

Hi,

Is there somebody able to give a record example of this Id 0x380 on the K-CAN bus ? It should be the VIN number, I need to know how the message is formatted (should be 3 or 4 lines of 8 octets).

This id is placed by the gateway module on this bus.

Is this challenge interresting any body ?

Thank you for your help!

BR,

Alain
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #102
AlainCAN
Registered
France
Rep

Is there any body there who can help me please ?

Alain
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #103
TrevorC
Registered
Rep
Drives: E84, BMW X1

Can Bus Codes

Hi Alain,

I have been looking at CANBUS codes over the past several months. The link below shows the ID's that I have so far collated / decoded from my 2010 BMW X1 (E84).

http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/k_can.html

So far this list has about 37 PID's from about 120 on the bus.

The ID's you requested
- car's Speed [1B4]
- Light/rain sensor [I don't have rain sensors but light sensors partially contained in 3E2]
- Light's on/off state [21A & 202]
- wheel angle [0C4 & 0C8]
- external temp. [2CA]

I have taken a look at 0x380. On the E84 this does appear to be the last 7 digits of the VIN (sent very rarely, i.e sent only once in a couple of hours of logs that I have)

0x380 is 7 bytes long
0x380 = Hex 56, xx, 35, 32, 38, 37, xx

The format is very simple, each character is ASCII from the HEX value.
My VIN is Vx5287x

(I have added a couple of xx as I shouldn't be putting my VIN on a public board)

Hope this help.

Trevor.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #104
AlainCAN
Registered
France
Rep

Smile

Hi Trevor,

First, thank you very much for your answer! I am sorry to answer a very long time after but I wasn't checking my emails...
Great Job you did !

I have been found what I am looking for, yes you have right, the id 0x380 is a 7 digit's VIN of the car.

If somebody is interrested by a BMW Night Vision system activator for any car you can contact me, I can sell you a "magic box" that I made to enable this device without having a BMW car. Why sell I it ? just because time is money and I spent 1 month before success to get this module working and this is the result of my work.

It work's great on the first NiVi model (NV1) not for the second device with human recognition.
I will install it in my Volvo (I know it's not a BMW but I like them)

For more informations, please contact me via PM.

Sorry if I am out of topic, just let me know, I will delet my message.

Thank you for all.

Best regards,

Alain
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #105
ivibmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Does anyone know where the data-link connector (OBD 2 port) goes to? Does it goto the KBUS, JBE, radio?

I am having trouble connecting a scanner to the OBD port. Including the Bavarian Tech tool. I am getting power and ground to the OBD port but am not sure if the voltage is correct.

This is an E90, 325i, 2006:
Pin 1 - 12v
Pin 4 - Ground
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 7 - 11v
Pin 9 - <1
Pin 16- 12v

With the engine running, Pin - 7 is 13, and Pin 9 - 7.4.

All fuses are good, no check engine light, no issues with vehicle. Runs good. Any luck would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #106
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

So, in my quest for knowledge, sometimes I start off a little slow. Is there a simple logger than I can use with my USB OBDII cable and start collecting info for my car?

I have an arduino mega and was looking at the sparkfun can board, but that seems a lot of unnecessary work if I'm just trying to eavesdrop on my steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #107
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
So, in my quest for knowledge, sometimes I start off a little slow. Is there a simple logger than I can use with my USB OBDII cable and start collecting info for my car?

I have an arduino mega and was looking at the sparkfun can board, but that seems a lot of unnecessary work if I'm just trying to eavesdrop on my steering wheel.
If you are going to be using Linux as your OS then there is a lovely utility called socket can that you can build and use. It has a monitoring/filtering program that will allow you to selectively view individual pids or another program to log all bus data.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #108
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
If you are going to be using Linux as your OS then there is a lovely utility called socket can that you can build and use. It has a monitoring/filtering program that will allow you to selectively view individual pids or another program to log all bus data.
So googling linux or ubuntu and socket source returns about 10 billion ambiguous hits. Is the program actually called socket and I just can't find it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #109
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
So googling linux or ubuntu and socket source returns about 10 billion ambiguous hits. Is the program actually called socket and I just can't find it?
Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SocketCAN

And the project site here http://developer.berlios.de/projects/socketcan/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #110
dave658
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar

Using CON on a foreign system

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack this thread a little, but it is relevant, and with such a wealth of canbus experience on here, I thought I might try to pick your brains.

I'm not trying to drive the instrument panel, but I am trying to use the iDrive controller (CON) as an device on a project vehicle (non BMW, don't shoot me !) that I am working on.

CON is the only iDrive component I am using, so there is nothing to respond to CAN packets unless I program it that way.

When I first power on the CON, it lights up, and I see a current draw of around 28mA. I then see the following packets on the bus

ARBID DLC DATA
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
5E7 8 99E1FE0006FFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
5E7 8 99E1FE0106FFFFFF
4E7 8 6714FEFFFFFFFFFF

After this I get no further packets, the lights turn off and power consumption drops to around 2mA.

I am guessing that CON is expecting a reponse to what it is sending out, and after a few attempts, gives up and goes into shutdown.

Does anyone have any more information on the CON protocol or would be in a position to put a scanner on the bus and try to filter out what responses CON is expecting from amongst the other packets.

Thanks very much for any information anyone can offer
Appreciate 0