E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > P2298 sensor out of range code. Engine cutting out

01-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Indi
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320iSe

P2298 sensor out of range code. Engine cutting out

Hi all.
Have a 320i e90 N43 engine 2008
Getting P2298 fault code..

Symptoms are loss of power, rough sounding engine and frequent engine cut outs, when slowing down and coming of the gas.

Hoping not the Nox sensor..

Thanks for thoughts..

Last edited by Indi; 01-15-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Generic definition of P2298 is Bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor out of range on deceleration.
Makes sense with your fault description.
Might be an idea to get a more elaborate scanner that can show live sensor outputs to confirm before you spend money replacing parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Indi
Rep

Thanks!! therealdb1..

Any particular one you would recommend.. Easy to read, use, etc..
Seen few on Amazon and fleabay.. Not sure which one does the best job without going overboard.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
Thanks!! therealdb1..

Any particular one you would recommend.. Easy to read, use, etc..
Seen few on Amazon and fleabay.. Not sure which one does the best job without going overboard.
My preference is INPA as it is not expensive, can do virtually anything you would ever want to do, and because it is BMW specific you get better diagnosis descriptions than a generic fault code although depending where you source the software they can sometimes be in German but with Google Translate or whatever that is not so much of a problem these days.

The downside is you need a laptop to run it on and again depending where you obtain the software it can be a PITA to install. Mine had clear installation instructions provided and was no problem but the company I got it from do not seem to be around now. There are plenty on fleabay or a general internet search will probably throw up plenty of suppliers.

Carly is meant to be good but I have not used it myself and I believe that is on subscription now as they have realised too many people were using it for free! Others will advise Foxwell but again I've not used it.

You pays your money....

Since you are in London where lots of BMW's live why not ask if anyone is nearby that will be prepared to let you look at their scanner and see which you prefer?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:57 AM   #5
Indi
Rep

Wow! Thanks fagain Db1... Will have a look at the options..
Appreciate 0