E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Gord-riddance

05-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #45
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
So one PM who could not win the majority in the vote leaves.

And is replaced with somebody else who could not win the majority.

One unelected PM replaced by another unelected PM.

Hmmmm

I was no fan of the old government but the thought of Cameron in charge turns my blood cold. It's not his party nor his parties policies but Cameron himself.

David Cameron is no Margaret Thatcher

I would say we will be back at the ballot box this time next year but there is a small constitutional issue that means that we can't have an election next spring so my guess is we vote in 6 months or in 2 years.

And as for Clegg? I assume he is spending the night oiling up his gimp mask.

Last edited by m@rk; 05-11-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #46
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

I would like to congratulate GB for a very dignified speeech, ive done very well under labour.

I would like to congratulate DC for becoming PM. I hope, hell do i hope he makes a good job of it. However like ive said all along its now slippery slope time.

Only time will tell......
      05-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #47
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
I would like to congratulate GB for a very dignified speeech, ive done very well under labour.

I would like to congratulate DC for becoming PM. I hope, hell do i hope he makes a good job of it. However like i've said all along its now slippery slope time.

Only time will tell......
+1 Steve - I have set up a company 8 yrs ago and have never been as financially stable as I am now - all under a labour government - yes they have fucked things up but so have the tories, many many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
Conservatives and Lib dems sharing the same bed, they might be able to see past their differences for the honeymoon and get it on together.

However once the honeymoon's over and the synics turn their focus on them, watch the sparks fly.

We'll be voting again in a years time, why do you think Labour went so easyly? "Its what the public wanted" they say, more likely they go away and re-group their efforts and come back fighting whilst the press tear apart the Con-Lib coalition.

My 2p

+1

Labour will screw the lib dems - they just can NOT work together long term, no way. Labour never wanted to form a coalition as they believe these two parties will dig their own graves......
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #48
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Lets hope your new leader works out better then our failing one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #49
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Can I ask you English members a question?

There appears to be a growing attitude in England (though the departure of Labour will tone it down now), that there is a great dislike of how Scottish (and to a lesser extent) Welsh MPs have been accused of voting for things - over the years - that only apply to England (The West Lothian question) and this fosters a great resentment that Scots (in particular) were deciding what happened in England.

No one ever seems to note that in these Labour years (and I'm going back to Harold Wilson's time) the Scottish MPs were under the Labour whip and voting the way their English Prime Minister (except for last 3 years) told them to.

In other words, at no time did the Scottish MPs vote for anything their English bosses didn't want. So, these moans are utter baloney.

Funnily enough (and prior to devolution) these self same moaners didn't bat an eyelid that English MPs (obviously in the majority no matter which party was in power) routinely determined what was going to happen in Scotland and Wales.

The question then is, how many of you actually understand that the whole topic is an invented load of shit?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #50
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post

There appears to be a growing attitude in England (though the departure of Labour will tone it down now), that there is a great dislike of how Scottish (and to a lesser extent) Welsh MPs have been accused of voting for things - over the years - that only apply to England (The West Lothian question) and this fosters a great resentment that Scots (in particular) were deciding what happened in England.

No one ever seems to note that in these Labour years (and I'm going back to Harold Wilson's time) the Scottish MPs were under the Labour whip and voting the way their English Prime Minister (except for last 3 years) told them to.

In other words, at no time did the Scottish MPs vote for anything their English bosses didn't want. So, these moans are utter baloney.

Funnily enough (and prior to devolution) these self same moaners didn't bat an eyelid that English MPs (obviously in the majority no matter which party was in power) routinely determined what was going to happen in Scotland and Wales.

The question then is, how many of you actually understand that the whole topic is an invented load of shit?
Now the tories are in, the Scots are really gunna feel the pinch, I feel for you.

I saw something on TV last night about "southern english" whinging about Scots MP's making votes that would affect English issues. WTF!!! us english have been dictating what happens in Scotland for 200yrs ffs!! I think a few votes on english issues means very little in comparison.

Is it me or has society become short sighted and selfish?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #51
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
YES! Too many people only think about how things affect them personally.......they've done ok etc. The whole and bigger picture is the important aspect ie. the COUNTRY not the little bubble or area we all choose to live in.

Tell me please why you choose to live in a Tory stronghold area which is a safe and pleasant place where you can park your car, kids play freely, your neighbours have good social values etc, when it is clear you don't like the Tories?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #52
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
YES! Too many people only think about how things affect them personally.......they've done ok etc. The whole and bigger picture is the important aspect ie. the COUNTRY not the little bubble or area we all choose to live in.

Tell me please why you choose to live in a Tory stronghold area which is a safe and pleasant place where you can park your car, kids play freely, your neighbours have good social values etc, when it is clear you don't like the Tories?
Hi Beemerbird,

I didn't choose to live in a Tory stronghold, what political affiliation my future home would be in was not something that 1) Should be, and 2) Wasn't, a deciding factor in where I choose to live.

Your right, the area I live in is a safe pleasant place to live in. I'm fortunate enough to earn enough money to live in that area, my ability to live in this area is based on how much I earn. If I was poor living in my area wouldn't be an option for me.

Whilst I have it "good" in this aspect (btw I'm no high band tax payer just yet) their are lots of people in the world that are less fortunate than myself, yes some of them deserve to be their as their lazy chavs etc.. but others haven't had the good parenting/security that I had in my childhood. Those people are worthy of something better and should be helped even if this costs me more in taxes.

I'm not entriely against the Tories, a selfish part of me likes some of their proposals, reviewing IR35 legislation would help me a great deal £££ but I have a consciense, I could not live with inheretence tax threshold being increased to £1 million. Though I believe people of talent should be allowed to prosper and should be able to enjoy the rewards, I don't think the Capital that the rich control should stay in their hands indefiniately.

I'm quite pleased that the Con-Lib coaliation has meant that the inheretence tax threshold hasn't been increased as part of their deal.

I just think Labour didn't do that bad a job, I ignore what most of the press says, they are PAID to get/make up stories, so I naturally distrust what they say.

I think Labour do represent a fair middle ground of politics, they allow innovation and business todo well, whilst at the same time look after the vunerable people of society.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #53
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
The fact is, none of us know how the other parties would have handled the last two year of economic hell.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #54
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Beemerbird,

I didn't choose to live in a Tory stronghold, what political affiliation my future home would be in was not something that 1) Should be, and 2) Wasn't, a deciding factor in where I choose to live.

Your right, the area I live in is a safe pleasant place to live in. I'm fortunate enough to earn enough money to live in that area, my ability to live in this area is based on how much I earn. If I was poor living in my area wouldn't be an option for me.

Whilst I have it "good" in this aspect (btw I'm no high band tax payer just yet) their are lots of people in the world that are less fortunate than myself, yes some of them deserve to be their as their lazy chavs etc.. but others haven't had the good parenting/security that I had in my childhood. Those people are worthy of something better and should be helped even if this costs me more in taxes.

I'm not entriely against the Tories, a selfish part of me likes some of their proposals, reviewing IR35 legislation would help me a great deal £££ but I have a consciense, I could not live with inheretence tax threshold being increased to £1 million. Though I believe people of talent should be allowed to prosper and should be able to enjoy the rewards, I don't think the Capital that the rich control should stay in their hands indefiniately.

I'm quite pleased that the Con-Lib coaliation has meant that the inheretence tax threshold hasn't been increased as part of their deal.

I just think Labour didn't do that bad a job, I ignore what most of the press says, they are PAID to get/make up stories, so I naturally distrust what they say.

I think Labour do represent a fair middle ground of politics, they allow innovation and business todo well, whilst at the same time look after the vunerable people of society.
Unfortunately I believe the area in which you choose to live is decided by which political affiliation 'controls' it. Schools, crime levels and services all play a big part for many people I've heard it time and again. I was born in the area so what is, is perfectly 'normal' to me. Many people I work with born and bred in Hull, have moved out to the East Riding for a better way of life for themselves and their children - and good for them I say.

I wouldn't allow the fact that you're doing ok pray on your conscience too much, that is for the Government to deal with.

I like your 'perfect world' sentiments but unfortunately in my experience of trying to help those who haven't had the best start in life, it can be very frustrating. Appeasing your own conscience is one thing but trying to change a way of thinking ingrained by years of a particular social upbringing is very difficult. You are immediately taking them out of their comfort zone and all they've ever known - it's complicated. You have to 'get them' whilst they're young enough to change and want to change.

As you say, the media play their part and they have regarding the inheritance tax threshold - it's not as black and white as they've made out and certainly not finalised. I am totally against taxing the rich to high heaven, even though I am certainly not rich myself, but thankfully they have good accountants, so those who are running successful businesses and employing people and helping the economy are not driven out of this country leaving the rest of us to 'rot' as we haven't the wherewithall to take the risks, (I certainly haven't!).

New Labour have looked after the vulnerable that's why a friend of mine from Hull who became a single Mum after choosing to leave her abusive husband was passed over for social housing in favour of people from outside the UK, but hey who cares where she has to live in safety with her two children.

Did you know they have been 'suppressing' the Hull Daily Mail for years btw? That is NOT democratic imo!!

Last edited by beemerbird; 05-12-2010 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #55
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
The fact is, none of us know how the other parties would have handled the last two year of economic hell.
+1 - fully agree!!!

Gordon might have actually done a stellar job and we could/should be in a lot worse position financially (personally, not the country)

OR Gordon may have cocked up and we could be a lot better off if he hadn't made the decisions he has had to make over the last 2 years.

I personally think that although the UK as a country is not good financially, us as citizens seem to have been 'shielded' a little from the effects of the recession and hasn't hit us as hard on a personal level that some if us feared it was going to?

We are certainly doing better than many other countries at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #56
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post

Scotland? Where's that?
      05-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #57
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
society has never been anything else has it?
      05-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #58
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Looking at the spelling on here it would evidently be beneficial to plough a bit more funding into education.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #59
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I personally think that although the UK as a country is not good financially, us as citizens seem to have been 'shielded' a little from the effects of the recession and hasn't hit us as hard on a personal level that some if us feared it was going to?

We are certainly doing better than many other countries at the moment!
We have been 'shielded' to a point Paul and that's possibly on the back of the attitude of the people as a whole to a degree, but as an example in the late eighties/early nineties when Mrs T was in power we had THAT recession. Traditionally the Tories don't go all out to support the public sector. Our department hit rock bottom, and I mean rock bottom - no work for the southern offices at ALL and we had virtually no work coming in up north. We each got a letter from her personally guaranteeing there would be no redundancies and so it was. I know this was more an internal recession but home is home.

Fast forward to now and offices being closed and ok, voluntary redundancies but hard choices for people none the less, especially when husband and wife/partner work in the same department. Totally unheard of. If those people hadn't have taken the voluntary route then it was made clear, compulsory it would be. I know and fully appreciate many people have simply lost their jobs but looking at it from a public sector view point, the recent culling is very surprising along with many other cut backs!

We are doing better than some other countries but that doesn't make it any easier for people here to 'accept their lot'.

Tbh, those of us still in gainful employment haven't really been hit by this recession unless you drive a car, own a property encumbered by a legal charge, like the odd drink, buy goods, food etc. oh and the VAT on utilities, pay NI and income tax.

Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #60
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Looking at the spelling on here it would evidently be beneficial to plough a bit more funding into education.
Care to expand?

I've altered mine btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #61
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the spelling on here, it would evidently be beneficial to plough a bit more funding into education.
Not to mention the correct use of punctuation.
      05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #62
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
Not to mention the correct use of punctuation.
i fink it disgustin the wey sum peepul carnt spel properly these deys
      05-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #63
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I am totally against taxing the rich to high heaven, even though I am certainly not rich myself, but thankfully they have good accountants, so those who are running successful businesses and employing people and helping the economy are not driven out of this country leaving the rest of us to 'rot' as we haven't the wherewithall to take the risks, (I certainly haven't!).
It's called theft and makes them common criminals just like the little sh*ts that vandalise our cars. We'd all like to have more money left over after tax but over a certain threshold we should ALL pay an equal percentage.

Quote:
so those who are running successful businesses and employing people and helping the economy are not driven out of this country leaving the rest of us to 'rot' as we haven't the wherewithall to take the risks, (I certainly haven't!).
The only risk most of these clowns took was to ask "daddy" for the money to setup their businesses

Quote:
New Labour have looked after the vulnerable that's why a friend of mine from Hull who became a single Mum after choosing to leave her abusive husband was passed over for social housing in favour of people from outside the UK, but hey who cares where she has to live in safety with her two children.
Your friend was either very unlucky in who she was dealing with or there are more facts to this story. A homeless women with children has the highest priority in our benefits system. Contrary to what you will read in the Daily Mail it is no fun being on benefits.

Quote:
Did you know they have been 'suppressing' the Hull Daily Mail for years btw? That is NOT democratic imo!!
Tell us more. Why did 'they' not 'suppress" the rest of the right-wing media?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #64
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Christ, how big is the working-class-hero chip on your shoulder?

Cute dog though....
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #65
Dave_3
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G22 M440D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
It's called theft and makes them common criminals just like the little sh*ts that vandalise our cars.

The only risk most of these clowns took was to ask "daddy" for the money to setup their businesses
I'm surprised you don't topple over with that massive chip on your shoulder.

Your diatribe against those who are wealthy, successful, "posh", public school boys, etc. speaks volumes.

I don't care if you don't have two brass farthings to rub together, or are landed gentry. I am not limited in my outlook by all your pre-conceived class stereotypes and can mix easily with either.

I am all for a saftey net for those in need - BUT if you have the wits and put in the bloody hard work (perhaps across generations) to achieve a good quality of living [calling that theft is petty], why should you have a ceiling placed on that success by incurring more and more draconian tax liability ?

I'm off to walk the whippets around the estate.

D.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #66
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Christ, how big is the working-class-hero chip on your shoulder?

Cute dog though....
Just because I think that it's unacceptable for the rich to fiddle their tax I am suddenly Arthur Scargill !!!!

Being so working class I should obviously have a pit-bull but they had run out due to heavy demand from the estates in Hull!
Appreciate 0