E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Custom Dyno Tune Vs. Cobb V3

03-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Custom Dyno Tune Vs. Cobb V3

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my 335i remapped, but can't decide whether to go for a Cobb Accessport V3 or a custom in-house remap on a dyno at one of Auckland's best dyno tuners. The price will basically be the same - around NZ$1,200.

The Cobb claims to increase peak power to 390bhp and 400 lb/ft at the flywheel. When I spoke to the guy at Torque Performance, he said they usually see around 360 bhp and 370 lb/ft after their mapping session (though did suggest mine might see a bit more at the wheels due to being a manual).

He seemed to think that pushing the stock turbos out to near on 400 bhp was a fair amount. My engine has done 150,000 km / 90,000 miles, but my turbos and injectors were replaced at 60,000 miles, and I've done the waterpump within my ownership as well. No funny noises or oil consumption to speak of.

What would the consensus be on these two options? The tuner pointed out that while the Cobb might work fine, if something happened and the car wasn't performing as it should, support would be limited, whereas with his tune I could just take it back in to be corrected. I also like the idea of the tune being completely customised for my engine, not just for the N54 engine as a unit. I just like the idea of making near on 400 bhp though!

Thoughts? Anyone have a Cobb and not had a single issue (coils and plugs excepted)?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
AndyN
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i & E93 335i DCT

Garage List
2010 E93 335i DCT  [0.00]
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
I've used a Cobb V3 on my E93 and also have an Evolve custom stage 2 map on there, in my opinion, just through "butt dyno" the Evolve map is more reliable and consistent. It might not make quite as much power/torque as the Cobb but I'm pretty sure it's bang within limits for the components it's customised for.

For example, the Cobb on the Stage 2 FMIC+ aggressive map threw an engine code and boosting around 19PSI at peak, too much for standard turbos in my opinion.

On my E92 (the missus drives it daily so I need it to be reliable), I'd been running a custom map (from a different tuning house) for years and frankly it was rubbish. Since I ditched the Cobb on the E93, I've used it on the E92 with the Stage 1 "sport" map. It's great, very good power, no codes and from years of experience with the N54 335i, I'd say it's pulling around 365-375BHP with around 400ft/lb torque, not confirmed by dyno but it's better than the "custom" map it previously had which saw a dyno of 368BHP.

My E93 with the Cobb on (a slightly tweaked) stage 2+ aggressive map was 420ish on the dyno (but threw some errors and seemed a bit "boosty" for my liking). Support from Cobb is fantastic, they're quick to respond and offer good advice, especially when you provide them with the logs.

Short version - if I were you, I'd sink some cash into a Cobb V3 and go for the Stage 1 drive or sport maps, much better to aim for 370ish and keep a reliable motor.

Last thing - no issue with components running on either map. E92 needed some new ignition coils but then, it's just done 90,000 miles, mapped every mile

Good luck with whichever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Turbo Dynamics Stage 2+ Hybrid turbos - Evolve FMIC - VRSF catless DPs - Remus Race exhaust - Injen CAI - VRSF CP & HKS BOV - Quaife LSD - Gladen 120.4 DSP kit - CIC to NBT Upgrade - JB4 G5 w/ race flash - Ohlins R&T suspension -
next mod: go faster stripe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Cobb,have a protune from PTF which are slighty more conservative than the stage 2+ still made 415bhp on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks kindly for the reply Andy. My thoughts are that I'll go with the Cobb and see how it runs. If it causes issues, then I can always take it in to Torque Performance and have them run it up on a dyno to see where the problem lies. To be fair, I've not really heard of the Accessport causing any issues other than bringing a plug and coil change forward a few thousand miles which is to be expected. The JB4 on the other hand seems to reveal a few more gremlins. I'm sure the guys at Cobb have tuned enough N54s to know the ECU and its capabilities inside out. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
I've used a Cobb V3 on my E93 and also have an Evolve custom stage 2 map on there, in my opinion, just through "butt dyno" the Evolve map is more reliable and consistent. It might not make quite as much power/torque as the Cobb but I'm pretty sure it's bang within limits for the components it's customised for.

For example, the Cobb on the Stage 2 FMIC+ aggressive map threw an engine code and boosting around 19PSI at peak, too much for standard turbos in my opinion.

On my E92 (the missus drives it daily so I need it to be reliable), I'd been running a custom map (from a different tuning house) for years and frankly it was rubbish. Since I ditched the Cobb on the E93, I've used it on the E92 with the Stage 1 "sport" map. It's great, very good power, no codes and from years of experience with the N54 335i, I'd say it's pulling around 365-375BHP with around 400ft/lb torque, not confirmed by dyno but it's better than the "custom" map it previously had which saw a dyno of 368BHP.

My E93 with the Cobb on (a slightly tweaked) stage 2+ aggressive map was 420ish on the dyno (but threw some errors and seemed a bit "boosty" for my liking). Support from Cobb is fantastic, they're quick to respond and offer good advice, especially when you provide them with the logs.

Short version - if I were you, I'd sink some cash into a Cobb V3 and go for the Stage 1 drive or sport maps, much better to aim for 370ish and keep a reliable motor.

Last thing - no issue with components running on either map. E92 needed some new ignition coils but then, it's just done 90,000 miles, mapped every mile

Good luck with whichever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong either way!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

I'd be going with the Stage 1 Aggressive as I only run the car on 98 octane (which I believe is the same as the 93 RON in the US?) so anything near 400 bhp would be amazing. Can I ask where in the rpm range you feel the most difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Cobb,have a protune from PTF which are slighty more conservative than the stage 2+ still made 415bhp on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Go with the cobb.. You can get a custom map with it as well.. From my experience, reliability doesn't seem to be an issue with cobb..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

use Shell or tesco momentum and you get 99 octance fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
cobb ftw

mid range power!!!!! 2k to 5k rpm!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0