E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil plug door slider latch too tight

09-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
mousefarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2006 330i

Oil plug door slider latch too tight

I have a 2006 330i I recently acquired and have been making repairs to it. I noticed that the oil drain plug underbody swing down plastic door panel was missing so I ordered a new one. After cleaning up the bottom panel around the door i noticed that the plastic slider latch was very difficult to move. I've been spraying degreaser on it, using q tips and toothpics to remove the crud underneath it but it is still too tight to turn easily. I've applied some silicone lubricant to it but without much success.

The plastic screw to open the door is pretty stripped so I haven't been using that but just have been grabbing it and moving with my finger. I'm temped to cut out the plastic slider latch and install my own with a metal screw and nut acting as the pivot point instead of the plastic one.

Has anyone else had issues with this or have a solution?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Just get a new rotary clip.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
mousefarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Just get a new rotary clip.
Nice, thanks. Its only like $3. I guess the two pieces just snap together?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefarmer View Post
Nice, thanks. Its only like $3. I guess the two pieces just snap together?
Yes.

This is the essence of owning a BMW. For a 14 year old car, you can buy a oil drain trap door and the rotary lock for it. Not many car companies do that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0