E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

08-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #155
F1 Fanatikko
REGISTERED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sparkling Graphite e90

I went to my BMW dealer today and asked them about this issue (extended warranty) my salesman did not know about it, but the service guy did and He told me that in fact the warranty was extended to 8yrs or 82,000 miles wichever comes first...So He told me that He wanted my vin# to see if my car was cover by the EWarranty so He checked on his computer and it came out that my car was cover by it ...So I was very happy and relief..He also told me that not all (E90,E92,E93...2007,2008,2009 and 2010) 335i, qualify for this new extension.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #156
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Since I am swapping out under warranty I don't see a point in not getting new turbos for free, and not pay anything. If anything I would benefit more from selling the stock turbos and then buying RB's since stockers would be in full working condition. I can see if I was out of warranty then drop those stockers out than get RBs and roll!
I hear ya Joe and what you say makes sense. But this is more about what I mean.

1) Contact a dealership who will do the warrenty replacement, but is willing to get you the free stock turbo's.
2) Work out a deal with them where you will have them install the RB's instead (you will have to buy them in advance to have the parts ready).
3) Once the dealership submits the paperwork for the labor and parts replacement, they will give you the stock parts.

* At this point you have received free labor on installing RB turbo's, you have purchased the RB Turbo's out of pocket, and you should now have two new stock turbos to do with as you wish (Re-sell to a friend/CL/ebay/core return/etc...).

It just seems like a cost effective way to get an upgrade on your ride to me is my point. You will probably need to do some leg work to find a dealership who is willing to work with you on this arrangement (might not be easy). But to the victor goes the spoils as the saying goes! G/L

- Faz
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #157
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Dealer will never install non stock turbos especially under warranty plus if you are under 82 you would void any remaining warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #158
MSimeon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335I BSM

Kinda confused about the "on top of the HPFP warranty". Does that mean our HPFP and turbos are warrantied up to 200k miles? Or are they separate warranties. Sorry if I sound retarded. Lol
      08-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #159
mgcustomgraphics
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

just a really stupid question, is the wastegate the same thing as the wastegate actuators?

the reason why i asked is because bmw quoted me $2500 or so and they said the problem is the wastegate actuators, they said the turbochargers are fine, and im kinda confused now,

they also said its not covered under the 82k miles warranty cause the turbos are ok? its just the wastegate actuators?

i think theyre just just taking advantage of me not knowinh sh**t about how this parts work, i got a 2008 335 coupe with 65k miles 100% stock
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #160
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

so if i decide to keep my car, 09 335i coupe 6mt, with this issue gone, is the active steering a serious potential for problems that would warrant an extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #161
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcustomgraphics View Post
just a really stupid question, is the wastegate the same thing as the wastegate actuators?

the reason why i asked is because bmw quoted me $2500 or so and they said the problem is the wastegate actuators, they said the turbochargers are fine, and im kinda confused now,

they also said its not covered under the 82k miles warranty cause the turbos are ok? its just the wastegate actuators?

i think theyre just just taking advantage of me not knowinh sh**t about how this parts work, i got a 2008 335 coupe with 65k miles 100% stock
If that's what the Dealer told you, go to another one! The wastegate actuators are exactly what BMWNA has extended the warranty for 8 yr/82k. Some of us got new turbos; you may just get new actuators.
      08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #162
LessIsMore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I hear ya Joe and what you say makes sense. But this is more about what I mean.

1) Contact a dealership who will do the warrenty replacement, but is willing to get you the free stock turbo's.
2) Work out a deal with them where you will have them install the RB's instead (you will have to buy them in advance to have the parts ready).
3) Once the dealership submits the paperwork for the labor and parts replacement, they will give you the stock parts.

* At this point you have received free labor on installing RB turbo's, you have purchased the RB Turbo's out of pocket, and you should now have two new stock turbos to do with as you wish (Re-sell to a friend/CL/ebay/core return/etc...).

It just seems like a cost effective way to get an upgrade on your ride to me is my point. You will probably need to do some leg work to find a dealership who is willing to work with you on this arrangement (might not be easy). But to the victor goes the spoils as the saying goes! G/L

- Faz
I would think the dealer would install new turbos on the car for you, if you're provding parts and paying labor, but you can probably forget about any sort of drivetrain warranty (turbo, engine, diff, the whole shebang) from that point on. Wouldn't be surprised if they asked you to sign a statment to that effect as well, just a guess on that though. The rest of the warranty , whether factory, CPO, or aftermarket, for items that are clearly unrelated (paint, electrical, etc.) would still remain by warranty law.
JB4 G5 | MHD E85 Hybrid BEF | VTT GC Lites | VTT Inlets | VTT Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 Bar TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD | 15mm Rear Spacers
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #163
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
If that's what the Dealer told you, go to another one! The wastegate actuators are exactly what BMWNA has extended the warranty for 8 yr/82k. Some of us got new turbos; you may just get new actuators.
The actuators may not actually be covered. It is not the wastgate, it just works the wastgate. And the SIB still states that some rattle is normal. On many though, the wastgate shaft is so worn that the turbo is done regardless of the condition of the actuator.
      08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #164
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
The actuators may not actually be covered. It is not the wastgate, it just works the wastgate. And the SIB still states that some rattle is normal. On many though, the wastgate shaft is so worn that the turbo is done regardless of the condition of the actuator.
The Class Action Settlement that was agreed upon by the Plaintiffs, Class and BMWNA stated Wastegate Actuators, so I'm just regurgitating that.
      08-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #165
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Has anyone come across the SIB mentioned within the SIB in the OP?

Refer to SI B11 13 07 "N54 Distinct Clanking Noise from Turbocharger Area" for more information and repair procedures.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #166
tullnd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore View Post
I would think the dealer would install new turbos on the car for you, if you're provding parts and paying labor, but you can probably forget about any sort of drivetrain warranty (turbo, engine, diff, the whole shebang) from that point on. Wouldn't be surprised if they asked you to sign a statment to that effect as well, just a guess on that though. The rest of the warranty , whether factory, CPO, or aftermarket, for items that are clearly unrelated (paint, electrical, etc.) would still remain by warranty law.
I would assume they wouldn't. The turbos and all associated parts, along with the install, is the package BMW NA is offering to cover. If you don't want the turbos installed, then BMW NA doesn't want/need to bother giving you the parts either. The warranty says they fix the existing issue. Not provide you with spare parts for it. This isn't the same as insurance where you can just keep the payout and not fix the body damage.

While it's possible a dealership could agree to do this, I don't see how it'd ever be worth the risk. If they did what the first person is suggesting, it'd be fraud. BMW NA would want documentation that the replacement was performed and they'd be billed for those hours of work. By not replacing the factory turbos, the dealer would be committing fraud. If they accepted payment that included book time for the new turbos, there's no argument, that's fraud. If BMW NA ever found out....well...let's just say there'd be consequences. I don't see your labor rates as being enough to risk that. Not even coming close.

If this was something like a sway bar or something, maybe. But not for this amount of labor.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #167
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullnd View Post
I would assume they wouldn't. The turbos and all associated parts, along with the install, is the package BMW NA is offering to cover. If you don't want the turbos installed, then BMW NA doesn't want/need to bother giving you the parts either. The warranty says they fix the existing issue. Not provide you with spare parts for it. This isn't the same as insurance where you can just keep the payout and not fix the body damage.

While it's possible a dealership could agree to do this, I don't see how it'd ever be worth the risk. If they did what the first person is suggesting, it'd be fraud. BMW NA would want documentation that the replacement was performed and they'd be billed for those hours of work. By not replacing the factory turbos, the dealer would be committing fraud. If they accepted payment that included book time for the new turbos, there's no argument, that's fraud. If BMW NA ever found out....well...let's just say there'd be consequences. I don't see your labor rates as being enough to risk that. Not even coming close.

If this was something like a sway bar or something, maybe. But not for this amount of labor.

From speaking with my service advisor after tear down they have to take pictures and submit to BMW NA for next stage approval (ordering the new turbos)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #168
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Damn, I bought an extended warranty for the turbo/waste gate concerns.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #169
fernye92
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

dealer here i come
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #170
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

So heres my deal.

I got a call from my dealer today about my car.

I got told "Your wastegates are dead but they arent dead enough to warrant a repair/replacement."

I sent them the TSB and im just getting the cold shoulder. HOw would guys recommend I go about this?

I got told in addition to the first line, "your turbos havent failed yet, and we cant do a repair until they do. They may fail in a month or two, we can do something then. But not now."

Personally, I think im being shafted because im sitting at 78K. But im kind of at a loss about all of this right now.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #171
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
So heres my deal.

I got a call from my dealer today about my car.

I got told "Your wastegates are dead but they arent dead enough to warrant a repair/replacement."

I sent them the TSB and im just getting the cold shoulder. HOw would guys recommend I go about this?

I got told in addition to the first line, "your turbos havent failed yet, and we cant do a repair until they do. They may fail in a month or two, we can do something then. But not now."

Personally, I think im being shafted because im sitting at 78K. But im kind of at a loss about all of this right now.

Any suggestions?

I would contact BMW NA, that makes no sense, Your WasteGates are either dead or not dead. I never heard of not dead enough your dealership is playing games with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #172
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Update to my situation:
Car is an 07 335i Coupe w/approx 76,000 Miles

Car Dropped off Aug 16.
Dealer finds rear turbo leaking oil, Slight rattle and 30FF - Low Boost. I was already aware of 2 of the three things.

Dealer Puts in a Puma.
Aug 17: BMW Request dealership replace Boost Pressure Converters, and re-test. Dealership Orders parts.

Aug 22: Dealership Receives Boost Pressure Converters and replaces, re-test, confirms 30FF Low Boost still appears. Dealership Enters second PUMA case.

Aug 23: BMW authorizes dealership to start Turbo Tear down. Once turbos are torn down BMW Request Pictures to be sent for replacement authorization.

So far I am very happy with my dealership and the way they have handled things. I've dropped off my rims to them for balance & mount and alignment which will take place when turbo repair is completed.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #173
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
I would contact BMW NA, that makes no sense, Your WasteGates are either dead or not dead. I never heard of not dead enough your dealership is playing games with you.
Figured as much. Like I said I'm only 5K miles from losing this warranty - I think they're trying to get me to go away and hoping that the failure happens afterwards.

The SIBs words are pretty absolute.

I've already scheduled a meeting with the factory rep. I got shafted last year on injectors - I refuse to let it happen again.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #174
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

How do you think dinan effects this sib?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #175
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
How do you think dinan effects this sib?
If your BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer, I'm sure they'll work it out.
      08-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #176
rummy
stoked
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92

Looks like I'm getting shafted, too. I brought the car in for the reduced power after 3500 RPM. They said, let's clean the injectors. Cost me $300. That didn't fix it. They said, let's reprogram your car for $240. That didn't work. Dude now tells me it's the actuators on the wastegate that are failing, and it's going to cost me $3000. I mentioned this SIB, and he says, the actuators are different that wastegates, and it's not covered.

I even called BMWNA Customer Relations, and they told me that there weren't any outstanding recalls based on my VIN, and they couldn't do anything about it.

I called this other dealership, and they at least acknowledged the SIB, and they said they would have to open it up to see if it will be covered under this SIB.

What can I do?
Appreciate 0