E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Another 330d DPF Problem!

06-11-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
CPhillips93
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 330d

Another 330d DPF Problem!

Hi all,

I have had my 330d for just over a month now. I tend to do around 5 miles to and from work in the week, with the occasional long trip every now and then.

Unfortunately on the way home from work last night I got the dreaded Particulate Filter warning light appear on the dash and so I took the car for a long run (around an hour of driving and 40 miles - combination of A/B roads to Newquay) in the hope that this would clear the fault and the filter; but the fault remained on the dash throughout the drive.

I also brought up the temperature on the dash as I have a feeling that one of my thermostats are bust. Over the course of the journey the temperature ranged from 65-80 but never really rose over 80. Are those temperatures enough to force a regeneration?

Is it possible to get a forced regeneration or is it already too late and time for a new DPF?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Conor

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 03:14 AM   #2
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Hi Conor,

Sounds to me like you should replace the thermostat(s) first, and then attempt a regen. No point in forcing a regen or driving about trying to do that if the car's not getting up to temp.

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 03:49 AM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

For DPF regeneration the following are required:

1. No DDE faults like glow plugs for example
2. >75c coolant temp
3. Over 10L diesel in the tank
4. EGR temp must also be up to a certain temp (forget what).

If the DPF warning light is on in your car you'll have fault codes:

480A - partial block
481A - completely blocked (dash warning light)

With these stored you'll never be able to regenerate. You'll end up with back pressure faults and your DPF will die.

However, there is a solution. Don't take it to a dealer.

1. Sort it any glow plug faults
2. If car still low temp then change EGR stat (diy job). If still low, change main stat.
3. Fill up your tank. Add some DPF cleaner if you wish. You then need to use INPA, go for a long drive and clear the fault codes repeatedly. The last time I did this it took over 100 attempts to clear the codes. Once the codes are clear use Rheingold or even better the Carly mobile phone app to force a regen.

I haven't seen any blocked DPF's that couldn't be regenerated using this process.

Just be aware, DPF regen will only burn off soot mass. Once burned off it turns into ash. When this builds up it cannot be removed without special tools.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Good info from sensible there.

Regarding the ash, I found once I had sorted my stats etc. a heavy duty dpf cleaner in several tank fulls seemed to remove the ash out the back end! Exhausts were filthy for several weeks then back to normal. Ash levels when checked were low.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

When you go out for a 'long drive' in attempt to regen it, you need to get it nice and hot. No good just cruising for an hour or so. You need to keep the revs high. Put it 4th and make some noise. But yeah, it does seem like the thermostat is knackered.

Imo, sort it, sell it and get a petrol. You're just going to run into DPF issues with the driving you described. Not ideal I know seeing as you have pretty much just got it but still.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric
When you go out for a 'long drive' in attempt to regen it, you need to get it nice and hot. No good just cruising for an hour or so. You need to keep the revs high. Put it 4th and make some noise. But yeah, it does seem like the thermostat is knackered.

Imo, sort it, sell it and get a petrol. You're just going to run into DPF issues with the driving you described. Not ideal I know seeing as you have pretty much just got it but still.
Forgot to add to my list of prerequisites...

- speed must be above 60kph.

As long as speed is above 60kph and all the other prerequisites are in place then a regen will happen.

In fact cruising is ideal. Constant speed / throttle is also required.

As long as you keep an eye on the DPF no need to sell it
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Kev_G
Private
Rep
Drives: non

what temp should a 330/325d run at? I think my thermostats have gone hence I am having this issue to
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_G
what temp should a 330/325d run at? I think my thermostats have gone hence I am having this issue to
I think the main stat is rated at 88c but has a bit of +/-.

For DPF regen coolant temp must be over 75c
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Try using Archoil's range e.g. the AR6400D cleaner as an initial remedy - doesn't cost much and might help. Can buy from power enhancer for £30ish