E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 plastic valve cover - loose caps on underside

12-30-2023, 10:05 AM   #1
J0shTN
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 6MT

N52 plastic valve cover - loose caps on underside

I am working through a valve cover gasket replacement and had one of the black plastic caps on the underside of the cover loosen on me. The rest of the cover and engine internals look great. How does BMW attach these caps during fabrication of the cover? Have any long term solutions been tried to reattach the cap or am I looking at a replacement cover? Permatex, JB weld, etc. BMW has to use some kind of binder to attach the caps to the cover.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:41 PM   #2
Eug3144
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328ix

I just removed mine to replace the gasket and also had this happen. I was think of using JB Weld. Did you come up with a solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #3
J0shTN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug3144 View Post
I just removed mine to replace the gasket and also had this happen. I was think of using JB Weld. Did you come up with a solution?
I’m at a bit of a standstill until I decide what to do about the PCV diaphragm that I now suspect is broken after a vacuum test.

As far as those plastic pieces I found a few more threads on that topic. Pelicanparts refers to it as a common issue and recommends using crazy glue to reattach. I bought the two part JB Weld that’s good to over 500 deg F and intend to use it for this loose piece if I decide to make the PCV repair rather than purchase a new valve cover.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/v...1#post-8477309
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 08:23 PM   #4
Eug3144
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328ix

I went with the permatex black rtv which seems to have worked fairly well but I’m leaning towards just replacing the valve cover. I’m paranoid that it will fall off again and then I’m out a motor. I’m not thrilled with spending a couple of hundred bucks for a new one but it might be better for my peace of mind. Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 08:41 PM   #5
J0shTN
Rep

Judging by how BMW attached them I wouldn’t be surprised if some caps haven’t fallen off on their own without a valve cover removal. I’m not sure if I bumped the one loose or not. Looking at the mating piece inside the engine there is a valley they these might protrude into. I’m not sure if they are captured by these recesses and would then be kept from moving around. You may be able to check depth relative to the spark plug port gasket surfaces to get a rough idea.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:14 AM   #6
J0shTN
Rep

I ended up buying a new BMW valve cover because of the PCV issue and the hit/miss stories I’ve heard about the repair longevity. FCP’s lifetime warranty also drew me in.
Appreciate 1